Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    lemme fix that for you
    ???

Not sure why the target would be any easier than every other time I've driven around with bikes. Anarchy hasn't set in just yet.

I'll just put a sign on the camper door that says "no hand sanitizer in here."

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, things happen, and you end up at the gas station, grocery store, NAPA, the hospital, car wreck, kid falls off some rocks, etc, without your planning on doing so. If no one is there, that risk of accidental transmission is reduced greatly.
    This. And we still don't know enough about virus transmission/shedding from asymptomatic individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Honestly, more than anything, I think it's the social stigma that has me rethinking plans of going to the desert.
    Agreed. I was just up skiing in the Tetons and I felt weird about being the Utah guy in a state with no cases. I didn't even call any of my local friends to join me, which also made me feel like a dick.....strange times.

No worries, ZZZ. Saw your post about skiing and I get it. We cancelled our st George trip because I woke up panicking about gas station bathrooms, and then the entirety of the situation became obvious.

I think that this situation requires us to dial down our risk tolerance in the backcountry. Don't take that jump, lose some speed, stop and breathe. And that "pause for integration ", to quote Covert, is the critical action or non-action.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Don't take that jump, lose some speed, stop and breathe.
    Unless you're in a crowd of people. In which case, hold your breath.

Moab (the town) sucks anyway. Camping and riding around Moab is cool, but I generally avoid the town itself.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    In fairness, I think this shutdown coincided with vacations that a lot of people had already planned. It's harder to reverse the momentum of existing plans, especially when those plans involve semi remote camping and (theoretically) not being around a lot of people.
    We had a room reserved in Moab for this week already. We cancelled the other night when we realized we probably wouldn't be able to leave work. My wife is a nurse and I work in local government.... interesting times.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Wife was going camping with the kids on Thursday in a remote part of the swell, bummer. No camping means we are going to go insane at home. I would still go but I know she won't.
    Similar debate happening here. My dad was supposed to come out in a couple weeks and we were going to spend 5 days in the Swell. No bikes, some mellow hikes and mostly just hanging out in the dirt being unplugged for a while. Very low probability of injuring ourselves and totally self-sufficient other than fuel stops, but he's traveling from CA. As much as I want to unplug from everything right now, shit is changing so fast every day that I wonder if it's a good idea to be out of cell service for 4-5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As much as I want to unplug from everything right now, shit is changing so fast every day that I wonder if it's a good idea to be out of cell service for 4-5 days.
    Same here. Among other things, worried that restrictions on travel might be put in place that'd make getting back home more difficult / complicated.

Similar debate happening here. My dad was supposed to come out in a couple weeks and we were going to spend 5 days in the Swell. No bikes, some mellow hikes and mostly just hanging out in the dirt being unplugged for a while. Very low probability of injuring ourselves and totally self-sufficient other than fuel stops, but he's traveling from CA. As much as I want to unplug from everything right now, shit is changing so fast every day that I wonder if it's a good idea to be out of cell service for 4-5 days.
    My wife worked in the swell for many years, there's huge chunks of land out there with very good cell reception but still remote.

Related to the discussion. The comments are just sad.

The Pandemic Comes to Bishop

Just keep in mind - nobody goes to Moab thinking, "I bet something happens that puts me in the ER."

And yet...

The local medical folks there have asked that we not travel there. I suspect they are the ones that know best how things go there during the busy tourist season.

Our part in respecting this request is really quite small. Just don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    My wife worked in the swell for many years, there's huge chunks of land out there with very good cell reception but still remote.
    Good to know, once I get off the highway the first thing I usually do is put my phone in airplane mode. Still worried about pops and interstate travel.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

If you’ve spent any time at The Pit, you’ll know the level of cluelessness among those flocking to the Tablelands from all around the world would top out even meters that go to 11. If people don’t understand that the wind will blown their brand new tent away while they’re swilling mediocre coffee at the Black Sheep or desperately clutching crimpers at the Buttermilks, I suspect the germ theory of disease transmission is far, far beyond them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Swell (Emery County) is now a no-go zone

Effective in Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties: Southeast Utah Health Department Issues Order Restricting Lodging, Food Establishments, and Closing Public Places. The Southeast Utah Health Department on March 17, 2020, issued a Public Health Order that places strict limitations on food establishments, closes movie theaters and other public places, and orders overnight lodging establishments to only accept new reservations for rooms for "essential visitors" effective at 10 p.m. tonight.

https://moabcity.org/DocumentCenter/...03172020-FINAL

page 4
    "Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks, and all camping on public or private lands) within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties may only check-in, rent, or lease to Essential Visitors and Primary Residents. Essential Visitors and Primary Residents may utilize public lands for primitive camping purposes. No camp shall be located within 200 yards of another camp and no camp shall consist of more than IO people. An Essential Visitor is any individual renting lodging or camping for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, and their spouse and dependents. Primary Residents are any individuals renting lodging for periods of 30 days or greater or whose primary address is within one of the counties."

https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-In...Wcalqa0_VVrGck
    ATTENTION: The following order will be strictly enforced. Violation of the order is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail, and fines of up to $1,950. Violations also could result in the revocation of overnight accommodation licensure.

---------
    wouldnt suprise me if kane, garfield,and san juan counties follow suit with similar restrictions. good luck
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by I, the Powfinder View Post
    The Swell (Emery County) is now a no-go zone
    Hah, I even posted that Emery county was part of the closure zone. I completely forgot what county the swell is in. In my defense, at no point have I ever claimed I'm not an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

There was an interesting discussion about this on mountain project. Bishop is always a zoo in the spring and this year it's apparently twice as bad. Dozens of bros camping around in their fucking sprinters thinking they had the greatest idea. Good thing there's no snow or I'd probably be adding to the problem (but I'd have gone for skiing which is clearly justifiable)

The lower reaches of LCC are more or less dry and people have been flocking to the boulders en masse after all the gyms closed in towns. The gate parking lot was full all afternoon on Sunday and the shoulder pretty much packed for a mile at the bottom. I spotted several clusters of 10ish people working problems when I was driving down.
    I saw a post begging people to stay away from Joe's valley but the 3 businesses in Orangeville and probably going to be invaded by people this weekend. The locals have barely warmed up to climbers, shit is about to change dramatically...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    There was an interesting discussion about this on mountain project. Bishop is always a zoo in the spring and this year it's apparently twice as bad. Dozens of bros camping around in their fucking sprinters thinking they had the greatest idea. Good thing there's no snow or I'd probably be adding to the problem (but I'd have gone for skiing which is clearly justifiable)

The lower reaches of LCC are more or less dry and people have been flocking to the boulders en masse after all the gyms closed in towns. The gate parking lot was full all afternoon on Sunday and the shoulder pretty much packed for a mile at the bottom. I spotted several clusters of 10ish people working problems when I was driving down.
    I saw a post begging people to stay away from Joe's valley but the 3 businesses in Orangeville and probably going to be invaded by people this weekend. The locals have barely warmed up to climbers, shit is about to change dramatically...
    This is the main reason I think a national lockdown is nearly inevitable.

Can't go to Moab? Well, let's all vacate and hit up Fruita. Fruita's closed? Let's head down to Gooseberry/Virgin. They just closed all Southern Utah? Let's head to Sedona.

I was one of those people in LCC bouldering and we pulled the plug and headed home, plenty of bouldering to avoid people but we thought it was wise to head out and we missed the earthquake. There's enough to do around here as a day trip without exposing myself to more people.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    lemme fix that for you
    hahah, true enough. We don't know what this country will be like 3 weeks from now. Honestly, I am a bit concerned a lot of people will start to really be panicking, lockdowns in effect, people running out of money and getting desperate.

I have been there a couple times recently. I never went into a business. I filled at the pump and hand sanitized before and after. I never came closer to anyone than six feet. I guess I could have ended up hospitalized, but generally I turn it down on the road and don’t take risks like I would challenging myself at home.
    We all try to be good people. I feel like sitting with my kids watching the sun rise out there might be safer than having us watching Netflix here? Certainly if one of us had symptoms it would’ve a quick sprint home and not to the Moab ER.

If you are fully off the grid then go. You may get a visit from the sheriff wondering if you are ok. You may just be wasting their time but they will be checking is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I was one of those people in LCC bouldering and we pulled the plug and headed home, plenty of bouldering to avoid people but we thought it was wise to head out and we missed the earthquake. There's enough to do around here as a day trip without exposing myself to more people.
    Truth.
    It surprised me to see so many people out, looked like a crisp and sunny October weekend in LCC. Wonder how many people got rejected of the V0s and will never return since it's a bit more sandbagged than the gym...

There are still lots of places to escape to in UT where you're guaranteed not to see another soul but all of the low hanging fruits are going to get gangbanged and subsequently closed. As they probably should since people can't seem to be reasonable.

Hurricane/Gooseberry Question.,.did they ever get a handle on the tiny-house bullshit rentals that were going on near the JEM trail? Cause that shit was lame.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Truth.
    It surprised me to see so many people out, looked like a crisp and sunny October weekend in LCC. Wonder how many people got rejected of the V0s and will never return since it's a bit more sandbagged than the gym...

There are still lots of places to escape to in UT where you're guaranteed not to see another soul but all of the low hanging fruits are going to get gangbanged and subsequently closed. As they probably should since people can't seem to be reasonable.
    I was super impressed with the rock quality and easy access for a quick trip outside (we were checking it out for a future relocation). I did a couple classics (maybe sandbagged but I'm from SWMT and we know how to sandbag) and tried a couple projects for the next trip. I knew it'd be busier because of the gyms closing (sleeping at an empty Front was odd) but figured that's around the normal number of people with it being so near to SLC and the nice weather.