Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I just picked up a possible new player in the game to try out for this season: MHW Snoskiwoski 40 Pack. Feels pretty great in the living room so far. It's basically the Alpine light with an avy tools pocket and a few other ski specific features. 40L certainly cuts it close in capacity for overnighters but can be done especially in sunny and warm CA

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...olor=100&pos=0

I too have a mchale custom pack, 40l.

For 2-4 day ski trips i bought two very light cylindrical bag and i strap then to the pack on either side.
    One carries the sleeping bag, the other cooking stuff and food.
    Skis diagonally.

When i ski, the extra bags stay in the tent, so i have a small pack to ski with.

This will work with any backpack, provided it has a good carrying system because you need to carry 40+pounds.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I just picked up a possible new player in the game to try out for this season: MHW Snoskiwoski 40 Pack. Feels pretty great in the living room so far. It's basically the Alpine light with an avy tools pocket and a few other ski specific features. 40L certainly cuts it close in capacity for overnighters but can be done especially in sunny and warm CA

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...olor=100&pos=0
    How's the single handed pack on diagonal ski carry? Looks a lot like the Gregory Targhee LT packs.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    How's the single handed pack on diagonal ski carry? Looks a lot like the Gregory Targhee LT packs.
    It's not too bad in the living room, but I think that's a feature I can't really test until the pack is fully loaded and I am booting up something while using it... Very easy to get in and out with one hand. Can't really comment on carrying yet.

I have a giant McHale that i had made for a Denali trip in 2006. It made the 70# load to 14k pretty tolerable, and shrinks down via the removable stay system. In small mode it was great for climbing the Cassin ridge.

Now I end up using a smaller, much lighter pack for summer backpacking, but when I need to carry more than 30# (and make 50 feel like 30), the ol' McHale comes out of the gear room. It's cool to hear that Dan is still the same curmudgeon as always.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

That diagonal ski carry system looks interesting - wonder if I could duplicate that on my pack with a 30cm dyneema sling and a ski strap.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    That diagonal ski carry system looks interesting - wonder if I could duplicate that on my pack with a 30cm dyneema sling and a ski strap.
    Yep, https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtop...ackpack#p18735
    http://www.skintrack.com/gear-tech/h...ok-attachment/

I also have another pack (Blue Ice Yagi) with it built in. I think more manufacturers are adding it.

That Mtn Hardware pack looks good, more info would be appreciated after use.

I've been rolling with the Cirque 45 this season. Really nice pack, but I do miss race carry and am too lazy to rig it up myself. Also, I've got some fabric tears around the ski edges in A-frame carry, but that's not abnormal.

Still loving my Cirque 45 for most extended tours.

Used an Osprey Aether Pro 70 Pack sans top-lid in 2019 for a traverse of the San Juan range on skis and loved it for heavy loads and multi-day food carry. Wished it had a dedicated avy tool pocket and a radio clip but other requests sent to Osprey were minor.

Multi-Day Ski Mountaineering Pack?

Bumping this as I’m in the market for exactly what OP was. Anybody have experience with the Mtn Hardwear AMG 55? Looks burly (and expensive) but has everything on OPs (and my) list other than back panel access.

Seems heavy but I’d much rather have a good suspension system than save a pound on my back.

Also, those of you that use packs without a tool pocket, where do you store shovel/probe/saw so it’s accessible? Seems like all the mountaineering packs over 50L are lacking what id call a required component- easy fast access to my tools. Even in a non-emergency, not having sharp snowy tools in the same compartment as my sleeping bag seems like a no-brainer .

On the latter question, my SWD pack has an outer "sleeve" that I put my shovel and probe in - but also run some cord through since it's not fully enclosed. Looks like that MH pack has same, but also a zippered pocket that could fit snow and avy tools.
    The MH is ~2 lbs heavier than a more minimalist pack 50L like a SWD Long Haul or a Hyperlite 2400, but definitely more suspension, pockets, features.
    I'll say that a roll-top is handy since it can be fully extended for the trip in/out, but then rolled down pretty tight and compact for skiing day use.
    SWD Long Haul for reference - https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product...alightBackpack
    I had them add some ski features for carry and side panel durability

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Also, those of you that use packs without a tool pocket, where do you store shovel/probe/saw so it’s accessible? Seems like all the mountaineering packs over 50L are lacking what id call a required component- easy fast access to my tools. Even in a non-emergency, not having sharp snowy tools in the same compartment as my sleeping bag seems like a no-brainer .
    I have been using an accessory pocket from an old pack. I believe it was meant to go on the sides of a big mountaineering pack. It fits all my avy gear and is easily transferable between packs. It even has a sleeve on the outside for a piece of foam for kneeling/sitting. Also, it's pink, so it sticks out amongst all the other stuff.

Seek Outside is a great pack-maker that should be considered. Their suspension is the best in the sub 3lb weight class by far. I have the Divide and only used it with skis once but I’ve put around 60 days of use on it in the summer/fall. Ski carry is pretty good, lots of removable straps. I got it with the VX21 fabric because I’m a weight weenie but I’d recommend the VX42 if using with skis and ice axe a lot, I have a very small hole that im keeping an eye on but I have wasted a lot of energy trying to baby it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Seek Outside is a great pack-maker that should be considered. Their suspension is the best in the sub 3lb weight class by far. I have the Divide and only used it with skis once but I’ve put around 60 days of use on it in the summer/fall. Ski carry is pretty good, lots of removable straps. I got it with the VX21 fabric because I’m a weight weenie but I’d recommend the VX42 if using with skis and ice axe a lot, I have a very small hole that im keeping an eye on but I have wasted a lot of energy trying to baby it.
    For sure if anyone is looking at a Seek pack and could be carrying skis go for the VX42 instead of 21. As Benneke says above I've got a hunting pack in 21 because I got a deal and I've put a ton of small holes in it. Mostly from a treating it poorly bushwhacking and leaning against rocks with it on my back. I really wish I had the tougher fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

That's pretty much why I ended up with the MH Snoskiwoski listed above. It's only 40L bit has an actual tools pocket on the outside. I was never comfortable with my patagonia ascensionist without one. Still looking for an accessory pack that works like mentioned above for the patagonia.

Anyone familiar with Ferrino packs out of Italy? I came across this a while ago and if it can compress down to be a reasonable size for day touring, this could be a compelling option (other than the price and difficulty finding it other than ordering from Italy)

https://www.ferrino.it/en/shop-en/eq....html#moreinfo

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    That's pretty much why I ended up with the MH Snoskiwoski listed above. It's only 40L bit has an actual tools pocket on the outside. I was never comfortable with my patagonia ascensionist without one. Still looking for an accessory pack that works like mentioned above for the patagonia.
    Any updates on how its performing?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Any updates on how its performing?
    Haven't used it for a multiday trip yet but loving it for day tours. Carries well and obviously has plenty of capacity for a single day while still being light. I think the biggest compliment I can give it is that I don't really think about it while I use it. Everything is where I expect it to be and it just kinda melts away. No annoyances or anything I would really change except maybe a vented back panel somehow.

Annual overnight pack puzzling bump. The HMG headwall appears to have everything I want and nothing more. If it wasn't $450 I'd have one already. Any other new options that compare? The SWD long haul looks like a good candidate, but I really would prefer a secure front pocket for avy gear.
    Last edited by North; 02-08-2023 at 08:59 PM.

Multi-Day Ski Mountaineering Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Annual overnight pack puzzling bump. The HMG headwall appears to have everything I want and nothing more. If it wasn't $450 I'd have one already. Any new other options that compare? The SWD long haul looks like a good candidate, but I really would prefer a secure front pocket for avy gear.
    My wife took contributions from the family (luckily I have a lot of siblings) and got me a Headwall for my birthday. It was not something I would buy myself. BUT, after years of not liking any ski packs in the 50+L range, I have to say, HMG got pretty close to nailing it. If it’s only an issue of money, pinch yer pennys and wait for them to go on sale again. Now that I have it and used it, I’d buy it again if I had to.

I genuinely think the headwall and an airbag are the ultimate two pack quiver. Headwall compresses to carry a day’s worth of gear without flop. For hut trips where you don’t have to bring a pad or shelter, there’s plenty of space for fancy food and that extra bag of wine. I’m pretty sure I could do at least 3-5 nights of food and full gear (tent, pad, stove, etc) for spring multidays (think Sierra in April). It carries weight well for a fairly minimalist pack.

In comparison to the BD Cirque 45, there feels like much more volume than 10L (roll top helps there) and avy pocket is much more accessible when the pack is full.

Anyway, the only real knock on the pack is the price.
    Last edited by Samski360; 02-08-2023 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Annual overnight pack puzzling bump. The HMG headwall appears to have everything I want and nothing more. If it wasn't $450 I'd have one already. Any new other options that compare? The SWD long haul looks like a good candidate, but I really would prefer a secure front pocket for avy gear.
    Seek Outside packs are worth a look. I have the Divide and love the way it carries weight, best in class in my opinion. They do not have avy carry, HMG is kind of the only pack of its kind with dedicated avy tool carry.

You can find 15% off referral codes (not that those make it THAT much better) for HMG if you just google around.
    It's ~a $30 difference from their 20% off sale they had a month ago.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Another plug for McHale.

Someone stole my McHale LBP shortly after it arrived, but it was amazing while I had it and the loaner pack was also great. I really do think it's perfect for a multi-day or as a heavy day pack (e.g., skis + boots on packs with glacier gear, a small rack, etc). I was very surprised how well it carried, after using many other packs.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I hardly ever use my McHale, but when I need to carry 50# in "comfort", it's there for me.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

im going to toss the hyperlite porter , i like it alot, carries nice, packs down, has accessories to functionalize to your needs
    You took too much man, too much, too much