Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wide, wide, wide boots

I have a Sasquatch foot and I'm looking for AT boots. Not wide toe box, wide foot. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? My boot fitter can do a lot, but we need a wide one to start with.

Thanks, Aceman
    Take a sniff. Pull it out... The taste is gunna move ya when ya pop it in your mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I have a Sasquatch foot and I'm looking for AT boots.
    Super wide last options in AT boots aren't really available . . . yet. Manufacturers generally offer AT boots in average-ish widths as the demand isn't sufficient to make more, but mainstream companies like Lange offer the XT boots in narrow and medium (so far) and Atomic is making the Hawx XTD in a "medium" lasted 100mm version next season. If you're lucky maybe they'll offer a Hawx Magna XTD or XT3 HV in a few years.

Of the current choices, best bets are the Scott Cosmos III and Full Tilt Ascendant - the Cosmos is a bit easier to widen IMO. If that's not enough room, you will need to go up a size. Best choice in a lighter boot is probably the Dynafit TLT8.

There are also some no-longer produced boots that might work for your foot, including the Atomic Waymaker (heavy) and the first-gen Black Diamond Factor/Quadrant (horrible to punch due to Pebax construction), but they are dated designs.

It needs to be clarified nowadays, do you want at/downhill hybrids or touring boots?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    It needs to be clarified nowadays, do you want at/downhill hybrids or touring boots?
    True, if the walk mode is mostly for comfort in the bar, there's the Rossignol Track 110/130 . . .

I have a wide foot and I ride the Full Tilt Ascendent. I have a large growth plate and they work well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quadrant

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post

That's a great question. Since I'm looking into this stuff for the first time, any help is appreciated.

According to this article (https://www.explore-share.com/blog/w...ountaineering/)
    either Freeride or touring.

I'm on the east coast and would love to do Bolton to Von Trapps (about 8 miles of ups and downs) and places like Brandon Gap (climb, descend, climb, descend) maybe 5 days a year. For inbounds where I do about 35-40 days a year, I'll stick to my usual gear.

Thanks for helping me with this. It's all new to me.
    Take a sniff. Pull it out... The taste is gunna move ya when ya pop it in your mouth!

OP - what's your inbounds boot?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Since I'm looking into this stuff for the first time, any help is appreciated.
    You need to start thinking about the combined system - skis, bindings, and boots - but having a super wide foot may simplify the process. There aren't really that many choices, even for those with average feet.

Going lighter is always better on the uphill, but even super skilled skiers are usually amazed by how hard it is to ski well on light gear. At the other end of the spectrum, even super fit people are put off by heavy rigs on the skin up.

If you don't know (and how would you if you've never tried any AT gear), it's usually best to start with something in the middle of the weight/burliness scale - boots in the 1400-1600 gram range per boot, tech binding in the 500-700 gram range (maybe more if you're big), ski in the same general weight range as the boot. For what it's worth, even my friends with 25+ years of touring experience change their minds all the time about what setup embodies the right combination of weight and performance.

If this sounds reasonable, I'd say try the Scott Cosmos III first. It's a good mid-weight touring boot in a 103.5mm last and fairly easy to make wider. There are great freeride/touring boots available (Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD come to mind), but if your feet are really WIDE WIDE WIDE you are not a good candidate for either.

Not been there, but Bolton-on Trapp sounds like AT would be overkill. The old Garmont Teleboots (Synergy) fit very wide, would be dirt cheap on ebay.
    Would make more sense for up and downs. But that's a whole different can of worms.

Wide, wide, wide boots

QST 120s could be an option. I think they can go to 106mm wide with Custom Shell.

Edit: these aren’t my favorite boots, but give lots of flexibility in size.

+1 for Scott Cosmos, my last width is 112 and I wear them without modification.

If you are looking for a touring boot that is light my scarpa f1s have a wide forefoot and not many other light boots do. I have a 102mm last and have some extra space. In 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    OP - what's your inbounds boot?
    Rossi Track 130

120mm from the heel to the toes! Lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200318_213337.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	321015

That’s not a foot, that’s a splitting maul

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Name:	IMG_8971.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	321043

Subscribed to this thread.

Interested in this thread as well. Not as wide as the OP but definitely have a wide foot with a tall instep. Current inbounds boot is a Rossi Alltrack 120 and it fits pretty perfectly out of the box.

Anybody know how the new Lupo AX 110 HD performs? Tried the Lupo AX 120 last year and it fit but didn't keep them because of a weird clicking sound during skiing.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I have a freakishly wide feet and high instep. My foot measures 26cm long, 110mm wide. I used to tour on a pair of 26.5 Cochise's that have been, and to quote GregL, "punched pretty much to it's limit". LOL.

They were heavy as shit, meh range of motion, alpine soles which is shit for scrambling uphill. Those Cochise had a super snug fit which is great for skiing downhill and resort skiing, where you alternate your time between chair lifts and skiing. But it's was an absolute nightmare in the backcountry. Skinning in a boot that's narrow is not only extremely fucking painful, it's affects your skinning stride. I found myself not being able to drag my toes due to the pain, thus was wildly inefficient going up. Throw in the fact that you're on your feet the entire day while ski touring and in a remote area away from your car. After a two day backcountry trip, where I earned the nickname "The Caboose", I vowed to no longer tour in a 50/50 boot.

So I went in search of a wider, lighter ski touring boot and per Greg's advise, honed in on the Dalbello Lupo AX 120 and the Scott Cosmos 3. I ended with the Scott and went up a size to 27.5. Much happier with a dedicated ski touring boot. Much more room in the forefoot and comfortable. It made going up a lot more enjoyable. Still need to get some work done, but the pandemic happened and Evo's closed. My advice, is if you're on the fence regarding fit, I would error on the side of roomier.

I should start a new thread but, what's the worst foot you have ever seen as a boot fitter?
    I saw this once and had to draw a picture to explain it to my colleagues. The guys was embarrassed to take his socks off and was very uncomfortable in me measuring his foot.

Name:	5DA62F5A-4147-450F-8A0F-45B804A5DCD5.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	321519

I'll join in on this weird feet show 'n' tell. Here's my foot on my insoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I should start a new thread but, what's the worst foot you have ever seen as a boot fitter?
    I saw this once and had to draw a picture to explain it to my colleagues. The guys was embarrassed to take his socks off and was very uncomfortable in me measuring his foot.

Name:	5DA62F5A-4147-450F-8A0F-45B804A5DCD5.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	321519
    Werewolf?

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Interested in this thread as well. Not as wide as the OP but definitely have a wide foot with a tall instep. Current inbounds boot is a Rossi Alltrack 120 and it fits pretty perfectly out of the box.

Anybody know how the new Lupo AX 110 HD performs? Tried the Lupo AX 120 last year and it fit but didn't keep them because of a weird clicking sound during skiing.
    Im looking at the Alltrack 130. Would you say its wide through the middle? Not just the toebox?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Werewolf?
    Werewolf mated with a Yeti or Sasquatch maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Werewolf mated with a Yeti or Sasquatch maybe.
    I really wish I took a photo of his feet. But he was so shy/reluctant/embarrassed to take his socks off for a fitting, I felt really bad for him.
    I ended up putting him in Atomic Live Fit (2012) with a grind on 1st met and a punch/stretch on the mid lateral side almost past his cuboid.