Best gravel bike under $1000 (new/used)

Now that inbounds ski season is over I have been looking at Gravel Bikes. Any good deals out there on new or gently used models? Any recommendations on affordable options and components to stay away from? I am 6’ tall so I am thinking a 55-56 frame. Thanks!!

Jamis Renegade Exile has decent frame, good design/features, nice handling, shitty fork and components. I'd go used if possible at that price point.

Spend a little more, $1250 (%44 off) and get a new FOCUS MARES 6.8 from Jenson.
    Full 105 components, hydro disc Brakes, Shimano wheels, Conti RaceKing CX tires.
    New, warranty, modern up to date components.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Full 105 components, hydro disc Brakes, Shimano wheels, Conti RaceKing CX tires.
    Killer deal, only 56cm left. I've been looking for a cheap gravel bike to screw around on fire road, too, but need 58cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!! Just bought the Mares today! Hopefully I will like it

Any pedal recommendations/shoes for gravel/rd riding? I run flats and 510’s on my mt bike (former spd guy). May go with crank bros or something like them

I would look at a Giant Revolt, (if anyone reading is looking) they were great value for the money when new. I imagine we will be seeing some N-1 action in the coming timeframe.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I like the single sided spd pedals. They are sold as touring pedals I think? Not the ones that have a platform on the backside. I also run spd on my mountain bike though so it is easier to keep the same shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I like the single sided spd pedals. They are sold as touring pedals I think? Not the ones that have a platform on the backside. I also run spd on my mountain bike though so it is easier to keep the same shoes.
    I use those on my touring and travel bikes - Shimano A520. I like having walkable shoes for those bikes.

https://www.rei.com/product/724917/s...d-sport-pedals

I wouldn't use any Crank Bros products.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Salsa Journeyman is only $1200 new; solid choice.

This is a little pricier but brand new and sa-wheat

https://stowesports.com/kona-rove-nrb-2019/