Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Digital audio out from Android phone. How do I do this?

Tech talk my ass. At least it's not covid 19 related.

So I want to get a digital signal, like digital coaxial or optical signal to be generated by audio on my phone. I don't want the phone to use it's dac in the process. The audio signal needs to come out of the phone in digital format. How can I do this? My pre amplifier has both optical and coaxial digital inputs.

Yes I am working in the basement today.
    Pre amp is a Sony ta e1000esd for any geeks that care.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200316_095521.jpeg 
Views:	136 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	320582

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

As far as I know there's only two ways to get audio out of the phone. BT or the jack.
    I've got a older high end system with no BT capability and I bought an Audioengine B1 to stream music from my phone. The DAC in the AE1 is great and sounds as good as any of the SACDs I have.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Doesn't matter how good the internal dac is, I need to send a digital signal out. There has to be a way to do it if you can plug devices like a dragonfly dac into the USB. I have a USB c plug.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

The B1 has an optical out bypassing the internal DAC if you wish, but I doubt the 30 yr old? DAC in that Sony is as good as the one in the B1.

The dac in the Sony is old to be sure, but it is high quality, and the parametric equalizer is bad-fuckin-ass on this thing. It sounds superb with digital sources.
    But... You can feed the Sony an analog source, but it then converts it to digital, and then converts it back to analog. Not so great. So if I am going to use my phone as a source to this thing, I need to feed it a digital signal. I am looking at the circuit to see if I can rig it to bypass the digital stuff when you feed it an analog circuit. Looks very doable.

That audio engine b1 looks like it would work nicely. It has an optical out. How about a cables solution since I am a cheapskate.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Well if you can deal with an optical signal I'd suggest the B1. Just make sure your phone can output in AptX for best quality.

Obviously all the Dentists have pretty much no idea what you are even asking for or talking about other than a phone and a "stereo" ...

Need to find a good Nerd Android forum, or a good audiophile forum that can even understand what you are asking. 2 ways to get the phone connected are either via the BT or as stated if you have ha headphone jack. But the digital vs analog and what and how to convert or do the native, etc. is going to be a challenge for most Dentists on here.

Why not just use a headphone jack to RCA jacks cable? I'm sure you've got an RCA input or 4 on that thing.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Do you have an Lg with the DAC?
    I don’t believe mine has digital out capabilities, even the usb dongle is just an analog headphone line feed.
    I would ask on the Android forums as well.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hope you all are better with molars than electronics. When you plug into the headphone jack, you are getting an analog signal that has been processed through the phones internal digital to analag converter, or dac. I want a digital signal, pre dac, so I can use the dac in the pre amplifier. Cause it can do all sorts of cool things to it before turning it into analog and sending to the amps. Timber' audioengine Bluetooth adapter looks like it would work, it has an optical out. But it's wireless. I want a wired solution.
    Phone is a one plus 6. Guess I will go find the one plus and Android and audiophile feel forums. Later dudes.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Hope you all are better with molars than electronics. When you plug into the headphone jack, you are getting an analog signal that has been processed through the phones internal digital to analag converter, or dac. I want a digital signal, pre dac, so I can use the dac in the pre amplifier. Cause it can do all sorts of cool things to it before turning it into analog and sending to the amps. Timber' audioengine Bluetooth adapter looks like it would work, it has an optical out. But it's wireless. I want a wired solution.
    Phone is a one plus 6. Guess I will go find the one plus and Android and audiophile feel forums. Later dudes.

sent from Utah.
    There is no way an average Dentist would know what the audio output of your headphone jack on your previously unknown phone is. Bluetooth out on the phone and then a bluetooth to digital wired plugs is going to be your only thing to search and see if it exists out there (no idea at all)...

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    There is no way an average Dentist would know what the audio output of your headphone jack on your previously unknown phone is. Bluetooth out on the phone and then a bluetooth to digital wired plugs is going to be your only thing to search and see if it exists out there (no idea at all)...
    You are as clueless as a Tijuana dentist.

Guess I will go find the one plus and Android and audiophile feel forums. Later dudes.
    Good luck with your audioquest. Be careful on some of the audiophile forums with that setup. If it ain't McIntosh or Mark Levinson they're gonna laugh. You'll want the Pugski version of audiophile forums if you're cranking Sony ES.

Hope you all are better with molars than electronics. .
    You talkin’ to me?

sent from Utah.
    Like, this isn't exactly an electronics forum..

Not sure if this helps, but I am running digital audio out of my Samsung Galaxy via usb then into a cheap digital to digital converter. It requires a few setting changes to the phone that are fairly simple. This video covers it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNlRbgu26sU

Here is the converter that I use: https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coax...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Hunh. I just learned that my LG v30 has pre-dac digital audio out via dongle (as well as post dac analog headphone jack.).
    I guess I don’t know shit after all.

See, we are all learning here.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Good luck with your audioquest. Be careful on some of the audiophile forums with that setup. If it ain't McIntosh or Mark Levinson they're gonna laugh. You'll want the Pugski version of audiophile forums if you're cranking Sony ES.
    Yeah, screw those high falutin snobs. It's all about fun toys that sound good to me. I'm the same with cars and other stuff too. I do have lots of other audio stuff, but that es pre amp is the latest toy, and I am very impressed. I also have nakamichi gear, hafler gear, some Yamaha stuff. This Sony with digital sources and the amazing eq is up there with the nak and the hafler. With analog, not even close. I am going to modify it to go full analog with some sources.

As for the original quest...
    Your audioengine b1 is the best looking unit I've seen so far. More research is needed. Not like I don't have the time these days.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Bluetooth adapter in the aux jack. You may need to get an adapter to go to RCA. Except then I suppose you're using the BT adapter's dac. Hm.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I bought a BTRO1 from parts express. It has a really nice dac and streaming bt off my iPhone is great. Pretty amazing sound quality, better than using AirPlay and an Airport Express. $35.

Eliminating wires is good. Don’t know why you insist on wires.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Bluetooth adapter in the aux jack. You may need to get an adapter to go to RCA. Except then I suppose you're using the BT adapter's dac. Hm.
    BT and DAC....BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

Bluetooth is a lot better than it used to be. For casual listening it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Eliminating wires is good. Don’t know why you insist on wires.
    He like wires. The picture of his setup reminds me of the underside of a '72 Fiat dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Bluetooth is a lot better than it used to be. For casual listening it’s great.
    AptX-HD if your phone supports it, is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    the underside of a '72 Fiat dashboard.
    Heaven help us.

Hey OP, getting "Bit Perfect" output from your phone is gonna be a job. Moreover, optical data formats lack error correction compared to USB.
    I'd suggest you look into USB DACs or 24/192 USB Audio Interfaces, as even a cheap one will likely be as good as the 1995 chip in that Sony.

I have a NAS at home and use Daphile - a stripped-down Linux entirely devoted to sending bit-perfect audio out to USB - on a low-end NUC.

NAS<ethernet>NUC running Daphile>USB DAC<balanced out>TubePreamp>Tube Mixer>Powered Monitors

Any computer or phone on my network can go to a LAN address and control Daphile with a browser.