Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Both. And with a good cable, I can set a tablet on there and use that. With this pre, I lose a bit converting from digital to analog at the phone, then back to digital in the pre, and back to analog. If I can just feed a clean digital to the pre, I should be good.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this pre is the end all be all, but I do like it. I bet if I test it a vs b with the hafler, sort of a digital vs analog shootout, the hafler will win. But the tv puts out a digital signal, and this pre is a fun toy. The imaging is fantastic, the speakers just sort of disappear, even my 7 year old commented about how you can't tell that the sound is actually coming out of the speakers, but it is. You can pick out instrument locations across the stage with your eyes closed, and the parametric eq is really cool.

sent from Utah.
    Denon and many other receivers will connect to your network (wifi or Ethernet) and will pull streams down directly, using their own DAC. You can also stream to them with Plex via your Nvidia Shield if you have a bunch of high bitrate tracks stored on your computer (or phone, I suppose.) I bet those receivers would also just output a digital signal to whatever pre you like.

We have an old Android phone that just acts as a control for Spotify. Once we push play, the receiver does the actual streaming bc the phone is just an interface. It's quite slick. It seems to me that physically connecting a phone is a kluge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15848937679150.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	321627

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by climberevan; 03-22-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Denon and many other receivers will connect to your network (wifi or Ethernet) and will pull streams down directly, this using their own DAC. You can also stream to them with Plex via your Nvidia Shield if you have a bunch of high bitrate tracks stored on your computer (or phone, I suppose.) I bet those receivers would also just output a digital signal to whatever pre you like.

We have an old Android phone that just acts as a control for Spotify. Once we push play, the receiver does the actual streaming bc the phone is just an interface. It's quite slick. It seems to me that physically connecting a phone is a kluge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15848937679150.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	321627

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    True, I could do that with a newer receiver, but that would defeat the purpose of using cool old school stuff. And cheap. The most expensive piece in the setup right now stack is $75 excluding speakers. I'm into those about $300 at this point. (Have you seen my collection of cars? Old school and cheap. And cool if I do say so myself.)
    However, you do trigger a thought. I should be able to control spotify on my tv with my phone, and that is already sending an optical spdif signal to the pre amp. I will try that today at some point.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    The phone converts from a digital file to analog, then it outs to BT, like it was headphones. BT is FM radio, which has an analog carrier, but BT converts to [lossy] SBC or [better] AptX codec to mod/demod the signal.
    So yeah, you're right about BT using a digi signal, but chances are it's converted from an analog source from the phone's DAC. Double conversion whammy.

When audio freaks talk about "Bit-perfect", they are talking about an exact replica of the lossless flac or wav or dff file being streamed into a DAC that can strip the containers and process the 1s and 0s without adding or losing anything that the artists and engineers recorded - "Fidelity".
    It's harder than it sounds, as most players add all sorts of shit to what goes into the DAC - dithering, equalization, room effects like delay, compression, volume, etc
    Weird
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.