Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Two big preoccupations of the wealthy--buying old missile silos to hide in from the apocalypse and funding research on how to live forever.
    you left out the bit about not paying taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Depends on your definition of security. Do you have a computer printer and yellow printer paper?
    They actually check names about once a year IIRC

I really wonder if the Uber-Uber rich will do anything with their billions (trillions?) to alleviate the economic suffering of the masses this summer. Purely altruistic, not just to bolster their own businesses.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    One of my clients is a billionaire.

He is a whole lot more enjoyable than the Thousandaires trying to finance a Maserati Ghibli.

The billionaire is thinking about giving me 375k for a nursery. Pretty generous of him.
    like a gardening nursery?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I really wonder if the Uber-Uber rich will do anything with their billions (trillions?) to alleviate the economic suffering of the masses this summer. Purely altruistic, not just to bolster their own businesses.
    No. Well, just like the uber rich in France after the Notre dame fire, they'll make a big whoop de too in the press about some sort of pledge, but, that will just vanish with the times, as it did in France.

altruistic biilionaires are like jumbo shrimps

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    like a gardening nursery?
    No. Helping starving little babies. I digress.

EAT THE RICH!!!
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

A few years ago someone built a home down Fall Creek and had camouflage netting hung over the job site during construction to block satellite and aerial surveillance. All the subs had to turn in cell phones and would have to arrange to have tools and materials searched or pre-ordered for them. Most couldn't bring their own tools or anything on the site and had to provide list of all needed stuff according to the construction schedule and it would be waiting for them on a tarp when they arrived. Apparently the underground footprint is massive, like a bunker under an already obscenely large home. I heard its Saudi family that has never been to the house, they are just prepping for the eventual overthrow/arab spring of their kingdom and probably have billions in gold and art tucked away there.

More plot for the movie, thanks Parvo!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    “Other members simply aren’t impressed by what you’ve accomplished outside the club,” Tom explained to Farrell. “People don’t need to put on airs.”
    My question would be why do they feel they need to at places outside the club?

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    A few years ago someone built a home down Fall Creek and had camouflage netting hung over the job site during construction to block satellite and aerial surveillance. All the subs had to turn in cell phones and would have to arrange to have tools and materials searched or pre-ordered for them. Most couldn't bring their own tools or anything on the site and had to provide list of all needed stuff according to the construction schedule and it would be waiting for them on a tarp when they arrived. Apparently the underground footprint is massive, like a bunker under an already obscenely large home. I heard its Saudi family that has never been to the house, they are just prepping for the eventual overthrow/arab spring of their kingdom and probably have billions in gold and art tucked away there.
    Wouldn’t they have needed a permit for that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    One of my clients is a billionaire.

He is a whole lot more enjoyable than the Thousandaires trying to finance a Maserati Ghibli.

The billionaire is thinking about giving me 375k for a nursery. Pretty generous of him.
    Biggest pain in the ass customers in my book are the "two hundred thousandaires" that want to look like they have millionaire money.

I don't know. Sounds more Steven Siegel than James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Biggest pain in the ass customers in my book are the "two hundred thousandaires" that want to look like they have millionaire money.
    Exactly. I know three billionaires here, and they are all cool.

I worked in the YC in the early days and think Blixeth really soured the reputation of the members when he took the loan funds and ran instead of paying local contractors. Most of the members there were pretty cool but clueless about living at 8,000' in the Rockies, which was annoying at times but mostly just entertaining.

Prince Bandar had a big place here and employed a bunch of my friends. On the whole, they liked him and he took good care of them.

People are people, some are dicks.

some will, some won't. And people will complain that the ones who do are just trying to impose their will on the world and the one's who don't are greedy.

Richest guy I know drives a beater sun damaged Toyota Corolla and dresses like he is borderline homeless.
    He started out sweeping floors, and never lost his humble. You would never know, and I respect the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    I worked in the YC in the early days and think Blixeth really soured the reputation of the members when he took the loan funds and ran instead of paying local contractors. Most of the members there were pretty cool but clueless about living at 8,000' in the Rockies, which was annoying at times but mostly just entertaining.
    I still spend at least 1 day a week up there looking at things. Most members I have met are OK and the vast majority are people you have never heard of.

Rumor has it Y/C is urging members to pack up and get out while the getting is good.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Old Money is never condescending to others, regardless of their social position or vocation.

At home, Old Money says good morning and good night. It offers to help if someone’s cooking a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Rumor has it Y/C is urging members to pack up and get out while the getting is good.
    Yeah it makes it easier for Y/C management. But if I were $$,$$$,$$$ rich I think that’s where I’d be.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Old Money is never condescending to others, regardless of their social position or vocation.

Ah, ye olde ‘Noblesse Obligé”...

Ah, ye olde ‘Noblesse Obligé”...
    I knew it as be nice to the help.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Yeah it makes it easier for Y/C management. But if I were $$,$$$,$$$ rich I think that’s where I’d be.
    If you actually get sick you are rat fucked.

The "hospital" in Big Sky is tiny. Bozeman Deaconess isn't very large either.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    If you actually get sick you are rat fucked.

The "hospital" in Big Sky is tiny. Bozeman Deaconess isn't very large either.
    Helicopter to BZN, fly private to DEN or SLC in an hour, its all good!
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia