Who's foiling now?

SUP foiling for 2.5 years and just now getting into prone. I surfed for years, but not since I started foiling. Recently sold all my surf and SUP boards to fund new foils. Anyone else?

Not enough fights where I surf to put on the foil

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    SUP foiling for 2.5 years and just now getting into prone. I surfed for years, but not since I started foiling. Recently sold all my surf and SUP boards to fund new foils. Anyone else?
    Looks like a blast. Shared a lineup with a guy on a SUP foil (friend of a friend). Cool to see and he should share the wave with us as he was ahead of the pocket and leaves no wake fucking up the wave for the SUP / prone surfer in the pocket. Will likely get into it down the road but feel like my surf skills need to improve quite a bit before jumping into it.

My neighbor is a pretty well known big wave tow in surfer. He will exclusively foil out at Indicators/Cowells when there is moderate swell. The coolest thing he has told me about is what they do in summer. We get very strong onshore winds during the summer. Sometimes they do not subside over night. We can see swells in excessive of 8' with a period of 6s or less. Horrible for surf, especially with an onshore wind on top of it. They head out into the open ocean and tow into these swells. He says you can connect open ocean wind waves one after the other and if you are good enough, travel a few miles before needing a jetski assist. Sounds pretty fun. First surfer I have know who gets shit done in the morning when the wind is light or calm, an waits until 2PM for it it to ramp up enough to be fun.

I know a few folks who are afraid of those things in the water tho, as you can really ride a swell and don't need a breaking wave, it confuses them where the foil rider might be going. And they are fucking fast in weak surf.

Quote Originally Posted by topwater View Post
    Will likely get into it down the road but feel like my surf skills need to improve quite a bit before jumping into it.
    Please do. Thinking about a bunch of kooks with giant guillotines mounted under their boards out in the lineup, no thanks.

Remember, SUP = SUX. For the rest of the lineup at least.

I've been dabbling for about a year now up and down the Northern CA coast. Can be a damn good time but the learning curve is real steep.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    Some of my kitesurfing friends.
    Getting into our 50s looks way easier on the knees. It's the next thing I need to learn. Gear is $$ but used entry level not too bad. Never really wanted to SUP but in big swells maybe. The old back doesn't dig it.
    I've done plenny back and forth sessions kiting on a floaty surfboard with a small kite but it gets boring.
    Foiling looks pretty fun.
    Tried the bat wing or whatever it's called ? Saw some video on a frozen lake the other day. Hooked in with a harness, on skis. Looked like fun but 2 dimensional like windsurfing.
    Still like to load and pop an air, especially gybing. Pop to toeside before coming about.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.