Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for non-pow ski?

Scouting some all-mtn skis. Already have my pow ski: Volkl 2s with 120+ waist, so looking to replace my all mtn ski for non-pow days, which are mostly spent on groomers but also nice to have a bit of versatility for exploring. Considering the Mindbenders 99 but also the Enforcers 93 or Ripsticks 96 - any preferences or thoughts? Also potentially thinking narrower: Ikonic 84s - seems only good for the groomers though? Or fatter: Soul 7s (106) or the 106 Ripsticks. Not looking for a one ski quiver for sure. Home mtns are in Tahoe but make it out to CO/UT 1-2x a year.

5'10" 165 lbs (soon to be be 175 lbs with this work from home mandate...)

I like my Corvus for that. It’s quick. I don’t have sub 100 but works great on groomers and if some rocker like rip stick good for low tide. Mind bender is rated high and enforcer as well

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I feel like a broken record saying the same thing all season, but the Mantra 102 seems to be leading the charge for groomer skis that offer versatility.

It shreds. And it’s easy. It carves. It surfs.

That said, it seems most manufacturers have figured out how to make skis of this genre.

The Mindbenders felt great, too. Just more soft-snow focused.

Mindbender 99 more soft snow focused than a Mantra 102? Have you skied the mb99? I wouldn’t even say the mb108 is soft snow focused.

Vav- no offense but your post sounds like you have no clue what you want. Soul 7 is the obvious choice.

I’ve really liked my Praxis 9Ds for this type of ski. Don’t know what length your looking for but that’s been the biggest draw back for me. Wish there was a 10 cm longer version. The longest length is 182. Looks like there is still some available. Low snow days this year have been split between these and my super bro’s. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6804.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	320534
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Mindbender 99 more soft snow focused than a Mantra 102? Have you skied the mb99? I wouldn’t even say the mb108 is soft snow focused.

Vav- no offense but your post sounds like you have no clue what you want. Soul 7 is the obvious choice.
    The general consensus between comparing the MB 108ti (and the 99ti, imo) and the M102, for this genre of all mountain rippers, is that the M102 has better grip and the MB 108 has better float.

That said, I also skied the MB99ti and thought its tip was a bit soft compared to the M102. I actually liked the MB108 more than the MB99 as it had the same edge hold but was surfier. I think the MB99ti is obsolete. It's still not an ice ripper and it's not as surfy as the MB108. You still need an FIS ski to fill out the quiver but then lose the surfy/float of the MB108 as your middle-of-the-quiver ski.

The M102 is better carving ski. Not 5x better, but better. It's damper, more stable, and more versatile.
    The MB108 would be a better complement to an existing FIS-like carving ski. MB108 would fit in the all-mountain range and you could still add a dedicated pow ski.

But... we haven't even mentioned the Katana108 yet.

For me in Japan it's a 4FRNT Renegade and an M102. Done. My 84mm waisted Jet Fuel (2 sheets titanium, heaps of fiberglass, and traditional camber) has been retired from groomer duty.

I skied the MB series last spring on melt/freeze and was impressed. I actually thought the MB108 was my next ski. I'm a fan. I bought the M102 without skiing it as it was cheap. And I'm completely blown away. I robbed the rep that sold it to me. He didn't know what he had.

Don't get a Soul 7 as your low-snow ski. And I wouldn't pick up an 85 mm carver if your only other ski is a 120+ pow ski. That's a huge gap that represents most resort days.

Something 95-100 with some metal seems like a good choice for this slot in the quiver. Probably can't go wrong with an Enforcer (93 or 100 depending on what you ask of it), Mindbender 99Ti, Bonafide, or Mantra M5.

Mantra M5 complements a pow ski nicely in Tahoe. Picked it up this year as a low snow resort ski and I've been impressed. Carves very well and handles shallow chop nicely. It's damp and stable but not demanding, which is awesome. It handles tight spots quite well given how stable it is in open terrain.

I haven't skied the Ripstick but by most accounts it's lighter, snappier, and easier at slower speeds than the above skis. If this appeals to you maybe it's the choice. The above 4 skis will have more stability at speed but will likely be more demanding.

5-10 165, soon to be 185 ;-)

Digging the Rustler 9 as my low tide ski, and the narrow member in a 2-ski travel quiver. Liked the ripstick very much, but the Rustler has that metal feel and turns just as quick. Also have Woodsman 108s but thinking I may add the Rustler 11 as well because I like 9 so much.

I’m with gaijin-love my Mantra 102. Have had a ton of fun blasting around one of the last open ski resorts in North America the last few days on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The general consensus between comparing the MB 108ti (and the 99ti, imo) and the M102, for this genre of all mountain rippers, is that the M102 has better grip and the MB 108 has better float.

That said, I also skied the MB99ti and thought its tip was a bit soft compared to the M102. I actually liked the MB108 more than the MB99 as it had the same edge hold but was surfier. I think the MB99ti is obsolete. It's still not an ice ripper and it's not as surfy as the MB108. You still need an FIS ski to fill out the quiver but then lose the surfy/float of the MB108 as your middle-of-the-quiver ski.

The M102 is better carving ski. Not 5x better, but better. It's damper, more stable, and more versatile.
    The MB108 would be a better complement to an existing FIS-like carving ski. MB108 would fit in the all-mountain range and you could still add a dedicated pow ski.

But... we haven't even mentioned the Katana108 yet.

For me in Japan it's a 4FRNT Renegade and an M102. Done. My 84mm waisted Jet Fuel (2 sheets titanium, heaps of fiberglass, and traditional camber) has been retired from groomer duty.

I skied the MB series last spring on melt/freeze and was impressed. I actually thought the MB108 was my next ski. I'm a fan. I bought the M102 without skiing it as it was cheap. And I'm completely blown away. I robbed the rep that sold it to me. He didn't know what he had.
    I have been liking what I read about what you say about the M102, Have you skied the K108?....

I’ll be in for a K108...based on my Katana love...but reviews of M102 are so positive...makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I have been liking what I read about what you say about the M102, Have you skied the K108?....

I’ll be in for a K108...based on my Katana love...but reviews of M102 are so positive...makes me wonder.
    I have not. And I won’t until my M102 is dead. I don’t want to know there is a better ski out there.

The M102 does not feel too wide given it’s ability to carve. I could easily imagine 3 more mm on each edge not impacting firm snow capabilities while only enhancing soft snow capabilities.

I’m predicting the K108 is going to be a cult ski. Think of how many years it’s been in development.

Go for kendo 88 or GS 65mm ski

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone who doesn't rate themself an absolute beast ski the M102 in 191cm length?

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Anyone who doesn't rate themself an absolute beast ski the M102 in 191cm length?
    I’m a big guy (6 ft, 220 #, only sort of fat) but nothing special technically. The 191 length can be tiring in tight terrain but is not difficult if that makes sense. It’s honestly surprisingly loose for how well it carves which helps a lot. I have no regrets on length and am considering trying a Dynastar LP105 now...

This is what I just ordered for the same purpose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 4-25-20 at 7.31 AM.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	326662  

I’m in the same boat. I’ve ended up with a ridiculous stash of 110 plus skis and don’t really have a modern mid fat all mountain. I did jump back on my 2006 Legend Pro riders and 2004 Volkl Explosives, both with a fresh tune, and rekindled lost love. It made me wonder if I really need a newer mid fat. They do require more focus and skill to get the most out of them with traditional full length camber, but still hold their own.

I bought a pair of J Skis Metals last year and they are great all mountain soft snow skis that handle crud and powder well, as well as softer groomers, but disappoint on harder, icy snow.

This year I demoed M5’s, Bonafide’s Kendo’s, Brahma’s, Core 105 and 99’s.
    I found both the Volkl M5 and Kendo kind of planky and offered less return for energy expended. Also, could have been the tune, but less edge hold than I had hoped. The Bonafide’s offered more pizazz for the same weight. I was surprised that I had more fun on the shorter 180 than the 187 even though I’m 6’3 190. At Revy after a week of skiing great snow, but with no new snow, it got really firmed up. I rented Blizzard Brahmas and was really impressed. Great edge hold on ice, and they just wanted to fly! Also, despite being 88 in the waist, were quite capable off piste in mixed snow. The Head Core’s 99 and 105’s were also great because they offered good all mountain performance with a lot less weight. They were not quite as damp as the skis with metal, but took way less energy to ski, a worthwhile compromise for me.

I’m 56 and despite favouring heavy metal laminate chargers for years, I am appreciating the energy savings of lighter skis now, my very excellent V-Werks Katana’s, for example. All the above skis I demoed, with the exception of the Head Core’s required energy and commitment to ski. I would have to say the 187 Blizzard Brahma offered the best balance of weight, power, edge hold and stability for a low tide focused all mountain ski. I was really impressed. I understand they are tweaking it for next year to make it more firm snow oriented at the price of versatility in off piste conditions. Maybe find a good deal on this year’s with Spring sales?

Got the new Kastle FX96 HP for the same usage, probably low tide 50/50 setup. The deal was too good to pass up (think 250 USD). Will report back next season.

+1 re Bonafide and its skinner cousin Brahma

+1 on the 180 bonafide being a more fun ski than the 187. Also a taller guy who likes big skis.

the Kores are wicked easy to ski... minimal input needed.

I also would definitely not go J Skis The Metal for this application. I skied a pair for 3 days this year and sent them back. Too soft in the tail for any real skiing in my view. The J Ski Masterblaster (which I also have) is another matter. Very good ski for non powder days. The mistake I made was getting the 181. Should definitely have gotten the 187. J Skis' run short from stated length, 181 is actually a tad under 179. Nevertheless the Masterblaster is a fun ski. In the 181 it is very quick, almost effortless to turn. Does well on hard snow and soft snow up to 4"/5". However the 181 is not enough ski for skiing really fast in the steep with hard snow. Actually be the end of last year I found myself going with the K2 Mindbender 108TI for anything other than big snow days.

Lev has done a good job marketing to the middle class and abandoning the cults.

But there are other builders out there who will build our cult passions... if a small price is delivered.

Aside from that— can’t really see a reason for your average joe to not go with the six top skis in this category.

I mean, fuck, K2 just rebuilt and rebranded a mind bender series that is competing against Volkl and Blizzard for the all mountain genre.

J Skis, 4FRNT, what?

The boutiques should be focusing on the cults. The powerhouse manufacturers have way too much capacity for boutiques to think they can out-design a generic genre like All Mountain.

Seconding the Brahma for full low tide.
    Or bonafide if you want more float for small dumps.

Blizzard makes some sweet skis.
    . . .

Love my Enforcer 100's for almost. everything but 12" + of powder or super firm conditions... although they're not terrible at either. I have also demo'd and really liked the Fischer Rangers and have skied the 102FR and last year's 98ti and they were surprisingly fun and easy to ski.

Picked up a pair of Rustler 9s' in the 188 length because I couldn't resist the price (290 shipped on Evo) and I was looking for a narrower ski. Hoping to use it as a ski that comes out when it hasn't snowed in a while and it's either groomers or bumps.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    the Kores are wicked easy to ski... minimal input needed.
    I love my Kore 99.

Can ski anything with them. I ski fast and aggressively and have race experience and these things carve really well.

Not skied them when icy but on soft groomers, bumps, small pow and crud these things are excellent.

Quick edge to edge and stable. Great long and medium turns but can be a little sluggish if trying to rip out STRs.

I'm 5'9 150 and I can over power them in STRs. I would consider myself very strong but for someone my weight to over power them may be a consideration based on size of the skier.