Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Line Vision 98

Line Vision 98

I know this ski has been discussed in other threads, but I’ve had a few of you PM me about it. So I’ll try to consolidate my thoughts here.

Me: 145 lbs, 5’ 9” tall, 40-something yo dad who lives in PC and skis 60-80 days per year, 85/15 resort vs touring. I prefer playful skis with progressive mount points (-2cm to -6cm from TC) that have good damping and minimal/flat camber underfoot.

I bought the 179cm Line Vision 98 as my low tide/go light go far/non-pow touring ski. They are mounted with Xenics (brakeless) at -5cm from TC, and driven with Hawx XTD 130s with Tour Wraps (although I’m still salivating over a 1kg boot for this setup).

For touring, I also own the 184 cm Atomic BC 120 mounted - 1cm from rec with inserts for Tectons and Xenics as my pow/sidecountry setup. I used to ski the 184 cm Raven with Tectons as my only touring setup, but have found the Vision + BC setups more fun overall.

Why I like the Vision 98:
    - stupid light with excellent damping for the weight. 1450gm per ski and they give up very little on variable snow stability to the 1780gm Ravens
    - progressive mount point: I mounted at +1cm from rec to mirror the rest of my progressively mounted quiver. There are few options in the 1400gm real ski category with mount points that far forward.
    - camber/rocker profile: very minimal camber underfoot, maybe 2mm. Loose, pivoty feel with bases flat. Fairly significant tip and tail splay at the very ends of the ski, especially for a ski in this 1400gm weight class. Provides decent edge grip on firm 2D snow and better than average float in soft snow for a ski that is 98mm underfoot.
    - white topsheets: yeah, they help when touring in my opinion.
    - flex profile: fairly soft at the very ends of the tip and tail, substantial enough underfoot. For skiers like me who make mistakes, this translates to a ski that is more forgiving of errors in technique compared to most of the stiff tailed, high cambered, non-tail rockered skis in this weight class.

One more attribute: they are relatively cheap. I got my pair mounted with Xenics to my BSL and shipped to me from Telemark Pyrenees for around $750 total. Not GearSwap maggot cheap but pretty good for new skis with mounted bindings.

Anyone else on the Vision 98s this season? What are your thoughts?

Have you tried other skis in the class?

I just checked out the Vision 98 Blister review and it seems like a damn similar ski to the Wayback 96 outside of the factory mount point and tail taper (made in the same factory) would be cool to side by side but that chance rarely comes up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have 6 days on some 108s and absolutely love them so far. I have shifts on them and think that they are the perfect 50/50 ski for me right now

Have a pair incoming and a suspicion that all of my days on snow the rest of this season will be human powered.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

My setup:

Ravens again (190 now)
    Xenic
    XTD130

DG - let us know. The longest V98 is on my list. The 108 and 118 seem pointless in my quiver with the BC120. Tour for corn or pow. Otherwise wtf ya doing??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fuck me. Just bought them. $400 shipped new for the 186. I hate you guys (DG & Supre specifically)

Line Vision 98

But just think. A ski this light in all white that you actually want to ski likely won’t be released for a while. They really have a unique product with this one. And 98 is narrow enough for volcano corn missions for the TGR crowd.

1430g per ski on the 179 on my shop scale.

On that note, if anyone has a lead on a nice price for a set of alpinist 12s, holla at me.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Fuck me. Just bought them. $400 shipped new for the 186. I hate you guys (DG & Supre specifically)
    From where?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    From where?
    Corbetts has em cheaper I believe

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

$317 shipped. Thanks for the heads up. New spring touring skis inbound.

double post

Line Vision 98

Sick. Ordered a second set. Will either return or resell first. $311 shipped.

(First set on eBay)

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Sick. Ordered a second set. Will either return or resell first. $311 shipped.

(First set on eBay)

You have buyer for your first pair.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Line Vision 98

Yah? Word. DM me

Edit my bad. I got second for $311 for myself. First set for 400. I need 400. Sorry bout the confusion.

Sorry y’all... COVID-19 craziness here. Haven’t had anytime to ski or post. Trying to prep my hospital to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

But I did some retail therapy as this shit was starting to go down last week: ordered some Fischer Travers CS (from last year) on the cheap online. Showed up on Tuesday. Total weight per foot with 179cm Line Vision 98s, Xenics brakeless, and 27.5 Fischer Travers with stock straps and foot beds: 2830gm per foot.

I’ve been exposed to COVID-19 at this point... which sucks. But the resorts are closed and I’m likely going to be told I can’t work for the next 10-14 days at the hospital because of that. So I may have some seriously long touring days in my future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DF27D15-F0FF-4B7F-AC90-47796FC115C6.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	321175

Be well all. Don’t panic, wash those hands, practice social distancing whenever possible, and let’s ride this thing out the best we can.

Got out this AM again in some funky post-closure resort snow. With the lighter, softer boot, this ski requires precise balance and a centered stance in uneven chop/irregular firm snow. More so than when I ski the Vision 98 with my beefier AT boot.

But overall, I’m still very impressed with this ski. For my personal preferences, it nails the “skinny and light” ski spot in my AT quiver.

Pretty much agree with Blister’s take as well:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...line-vision-98

what’s the word again on xenic toe? If it’s stiff, is a replacement available?

Not too stiff. Totally functional so far for me when changing modes.

Been out on the Vision 98s quite a bit of late. Still a big fan.

Maybe even more fun than skiing them: watching your buddy ski them. Did some COVID closure touring at PCMR today. The upper park had the jump takeoffs removed but the knuckles and landings were slushy goodness. My buddy skied my 179 Vision 98s and I skied my 184 BC 120s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLNA...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq75Mcguk1Y

One more post, and then I promise I will stop clogging this thread with my crap...

Took the 179cm Vision 98s + Travers CS combo out on some of the most consequential terrain I’ve tried them in thus far today.

The gear skied great! My paranoia over sluff management meant I only got to test the setup to about 50% of its potential however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaa...ature=youtu.be

Dope dude. Dope

How does the all-white ski look in person? I'm pretty much sold on getting the Vision 98 for my touring rig this season, now I just have to decide weather I should get last year's white version or the new black version. I don't really care much about aesthetics (I must admit the white does look pretty cool), my main concern is that it would be pretty easy to lose the all-white ski in the snow if I crash on something steep. Is this a legitimate concern? I'm planning on mounting them with ATK Crests with brakes, but the brakes aren't that big. Maybe I should put stickers on the white topsheets to make them more visible. I've found both the white and black versions for around $450 at local shops so a price difference isn't much of a concern.

Its also compelling that the white topsheets can potentially mitigate snow build-up, can anybody here vouch for this?

I have last year's 98 and 108 vision. The 98 does a better job of not having lots of snow sticking to the top sheet than the all black 108. 108 is a way more fun ski though. 98 all white looks fine in person.

Tie orange shoelaces on brakes. Black skis suck and hold snow

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Black skis suck and hold snow

truth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk