Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Seems like about half the resorts that have closed so far are claiming they’ll reassess in a few weeks. Either they’re idiots or think we’re idiots. Because in a few weeks this thing is going to be a full on shit show. Going to be a lot more things closed than ski resorts by then.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I think that one-week thing had to do with the chain of events.

Vail was the first major NA resort group to announce a closure, but rather than say their resorts are closing for the season they said a week, to see if Alterra and other resorts would follow, which they did.

If somehow other resorts had decided to stay open, Vail could have changed their mind on the 22nd and reopen those not subject to government shut down orders.

I’m not saying that it would have been realistic or the moral thing to do but Vail was probably not going to just give up the market to competitors without testing the waters.

Obviously there is no way it will only be a week, the season is over. But I don’t think anyone was being an idiot, just doing what businesses do.

Seems like about half the resorts that have closed so far are claiming they’ll reassess in a few weeks. Either they’re idiots or think we’re idiots. Because in a few weeks this thing is going to be a full on shit show. Going to be a lot more things closed than ski resorts by then.

Not sure I see the harm in taking all the necessary precautions right now, then seeing how things play out and go from there. Do you really think the better plan is to just throw up our arms, run out the door screaming and closing the world down for the next 6 months? Is that really a healthy outlook and attitude?

People fail to see the economic realities of things. Nothing wrong with balancing and weighing when making decisions. Social media has rotten everyone's brains.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

That Ikon email this morning was pretty cryptic. Wonder if they're considering some kind of refunds for people with passes? Or vouchers?

Just kidding these companies love money too much they'd never do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    That Ikon email this morning was pretty cryptic. Wonder if they're considering some kind of refunds for people with passes? Or vouchers?

Just kidding these companies love money too much they'd never do something like that.
    I think I'd rather take the small hit and see their employees kept safe and paid during their furlough.

I mean, it's almost April man, if you haven't gotten your moneys worth then you probably aren't much of a skier and this whole thing with whiny skiers asking for refunds when we all know damn well that most of us live pretty cush lives is pretty annoying.

After our summit chair broke down a few weeks back there were a ton of season pass holders that were demanding refunds. they sounded fucking ridiculous to me. What a bunch of cunts.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	320562
    Aly still open, social distancing policies in place.
    the best skier is the one having the most fun------DC

Because in a few weeks this thing is going to be a full on shit show. Going to be a lot more things closed than ski resorts by then.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Does anyone pay attention to other countries around the world? .
    IME the amount of denial within the local ski community is huge. Denial on a National/global scale is probably huge to. Everyone seems to think that they’re strong and healthy. Completely oblivious as to social responsibilities/morals. This attitude is very prevalent in outdoor enthusiasts for whom the live every day to the fullest motto is their religion. A virus like this will kill lots of people. Due to how this virus spreads every action and decision that everyone makes right now will effect everyone else. Buy my guess is that selfishness and the ostrich effect will prevail. Spending time outside right now is great, denying that this is a big deal it’s beyond foolish
    Reposting from padded room thread "Chinese rat flu" texts from relatives in France and Netherlands.

Quarantines and closures are moving fast.
    Or not fast enough.
    Sticking your head in the sand and thinking this is no big deal is going to lead to a European situation like Italy's.

Some texts from relatives in France and the Netherlands.

[3/15, 2:29 PM] Rory: Hello P*****, Tomorrow our plans are to drive to granville , bringing M***** mom to N******* in Rennes on the way. Paris and suburbs will be in lockdown from tomorrow night on , with army controlling the roads. We’re expecting to be able to handle « quarantine « in Granville better than in an apt in Paris! So it goes in France ....

6Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200316-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	320566

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I think I'd rather take the small hit and see their employees kept safe and paid during their furlough.

I mean, it's almost April man, if you haven't gotten your moneys worth then you probably aren't much of a skier and this whole thing with whiny skiers asking for refunds when we all know damn well that most of us live pretty cush lives is pretty annoying.

After our summit chair broke down a few weeks back there were a ton of season pass holders that were demanding refunds. they sounded fucking ridiculous to me. What a bunch of cunts.
    Yeah, it's almost April, a time when it's pretty awesome in high Colorado, and a few weeks before that it's pretty ok at a lot of other places, like, today if the lifts were turning. And the east coast season blew monkey balls most of the season, so, if you're located here, yeah, you "weren't much of a skier", even if you did 8 days in SLC, but timed that trip for a storm that interlodged Little Cottonwood for two days and rained on Powder Mountain, so, yeah, not a whole lot of skiing there. If you had a big month long road trip scheduled for late March/early April, and everything just shut down, welp, hardly a skier now, right?
    I'll take a few bucks for all that. It would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

This is pretty on target I think. Not that these companies are necessarily gonna do right by their employees in every case but it’s way too late to expect money back on a season pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, it's almost April, a time when it's pretty awesome in high Colorado, and a few weeks before that it's pretty ok at a lot of other places, like, today if the lifts were turning. And the east coast season blew monkey balls most of the season, so, if you're located here, yeah, you "weren't much of a skier", even if you did 8 days in SLC, but timed that trip for a storm that interlodged Little Cottonwood for two days and rained on Powder Mountain, so, yeah, not a whole lot of skiing there. If you had a big month long road trip scheduled for late March/early April, and everything just shut down, welp, hardly a skier now, right?
    I'll take a few bucks for all that. It would be nice.
    For a season that blew monkey balls as you put it, I sure had some good days.

Up north we're being told outright to stay home now. Skiing is fun, not being sick is funner. I think some people will have to cut their loses given the context.
    27° 18°

We're all being told to stay inside.

We're all being told to stay inside.
    Ah ok. Haven't been following US news. So basically status quo for you.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Brownskii View Post
    This is pretty on target I think. Not that these companies are necessarily gonna do right by their employees in every case but it’s way too late to expect money back on a season pass.
    Perhaps give a small break on this year's pass holder who buy one for next season, or just some additional perk?

I was all set to finally ski Silverton.

Guess I wait to unwrap everything and pull the tags off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200316_132749.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	320585

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Perhaps give a small break on this year's pass holder who buy one for next season, or just some additional perk?
    Yeah, that’s reasonable- the equivalent of the early purchase discount or a little more maybe? It would show some goodwill at least

The two are not mutually exclusive.
    To be fair though, the schools, etc are saying the same thing. 2 week closures are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Ah ok. Haven't been following US news. So basically status quo for you.
    Yeah, well, I don't ski in the fucking rain.

Yeah, well, I don't ski
    FIFY

loveland is closed for the season

I am going to cry

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

Guess I wait to unwrap everything and pull the tags off.Click image for larger version. 

No reason to not use the stuff at all prior to your trip to at least get familiar with it

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

Leave the tags on so everyone can see it's new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    #minniepearl

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Or better yet leave everything in the packages, unpack it when you meet your group and guide the day of and ask everyone how to put your beacon on properly. They'll really appreciate that.

Actually, no need to do any of that honestly, the new gear will be obvious.

One more tip Viva, make sure to protest loudly about the many rocks you will be navigating and skiing across in the high alpine terrain. Everyone out west here loves skiing in the back country with Joey Buttafoucco's!

Just messing with ya Viva, but seriously, get to know your gear before you actually might need it.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

All bars and restaurants closed except for take out, so all bars closed in Colorado.

It wouldn't occur to me to ask for a pass refund. It certainly wasn't the greatest season at Tahoe, it wasn't the worse. People weren't asking for refunds a few years ago when we had a lot less skiing than this season. We all know skiing is at the mercy of the weather; consider the virus part of the weather. Now if we buy next year passes and they never open I would expect a refund. I'll be holding off on buying until there's an announcement regarding that.

Uphill access at Abasin shut down after one day.