Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ski areas will take it on the chin from lost daily ticket sales, but they have all the $$ from season ticket holders. The people taking it on the chin are their employees.
    Agreed. Merely pointing out insurance isn't going to do anything for them. Hopefully the ski areas will give laid off employees a buffer and then unemployment can do something. Everyone is so quick to say "insurance will cover it" any time something goes wrong. If insurance covered payroll and lost income for basically the nation sending people home for an undetermined amount of time, there would be no insurance companies left. Unemployment for the workers, risk and reward for the business owners. But, because the gov loves business owners and bragging about a good economy, I'm sure there will be a bailout of some sort...that we the tax payers get to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ski areas will take it on the chin from lost daily ticket sales, but they have all the $$ from season ticket holders. The people taking it on the chin are their employees.
    Daily tickets, lodging, ski school, spa services, food/beverage, conferences, events. The list is long and it doesn't take long for what might have been looking like a healthy budget for the season to start looking like dogshit.

Not to mention the community around a resort is getting the best part of the season ripped out of their hands, that community is the pass holders, weekend guests, area businesses, employees. Everyone.

It blows but so does a pandemic virus

I've had my own opinions on our local hills management. I think they are nailing this situation. Lifts are spinning until higher powers say no. Lessons, events, bars, rentals, and food are canceled. Lodges are only open for bathrooms. As a pass holder, I'm stoked. Hills should have very few people and it appears the management actually cares about pass holders. They'll be losing money each day through the end of the season but want to keep it going.

I'm going to go ski in the rain today.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm going to go ski in the rain today.
    have fun buddy, don't catch a cold!

^^good on ya, you should be stoked.

Curious how close your local hill is to most of the people who ski there?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    ^^good on ya, you should be stoked.

Curious how close your local hill is to most of the people who ski there?
    It's a long way from Boise to our local hill, you should stay away. No seriously, it's 16 miles of a really curvy road, but only 8 miles as the crow flies to our little local hill. Oh and that local hill, yeah, this time of year, everyone is more interested in doing other things like fucking up the trails, riding or hiking in the mud, than skiing so kind of our own private hill at times.

16 miles or a 30 minute drive depending on traffic. One small set of condos at the hill. It's outside of town. Bogus Basin. Two other independents two hours away are doing the same. Might check that out Friday. For social distancing, seems great. Drive up, piss on my truck tire. Get on the lift. If there's people in line, wait off to the side. Ride by myself. Tail gate beer. Drive home.

Wish that was an option here.

I work at a place that's more of a destination resort, hotel, full condo/house village, mega spring party weekend, conferences and owned by Boyne so it's an all or nothing prospect. We'll get through it
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 03-17-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Is Ikon officially shut down? Is there any Western US skiing still open for Ikon?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

So, Vail Corp in US is gone for the season, except for Breck and Heavenly will be “considered” for opening “in late April/early May, dependent on the situation with COVID-19 as well as weather conditions.” If the Colorado Gov. does not extend his executive order, any chance A-Basin opens next week?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Agreed. Merely pointing out insurance isn't going to do anything for them.
    I'm calling bullshit that a tourist industry company, the size of Jackson (who was forced to close by the governor apparently), or even further Vail/Alterra, would leave their asses hanging here. You can insure against anything for the right price. Mom and pops / the average retail joint / restaurant though probably isn't carrying that coverage.

I tend to agree on all your other points, and they'll end up bailed out and the employees will take it on the chin.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    <snip> any chance A-Basin opens next week?
    Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Your jerry ass shouldn’t be on a mountain to begin with.
    Joey just called Bunion a "jerry"? That's pretty damned funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Not sure I see the harm in taking all the necessary precautions right now, then seeing how things play out and go from there. Do you really think the better plan is to just throw up our arms, run out the door screaming and closing the world down for the next 6 months? Is that really a healthy outlook and attitude?

People fail to see the economic realities of things. Nothing wrong with balancing and weighing when making decisions. Social media has rotten everyone's brains.
    What made you change your tune, to now call the closing of all resorts for a period of time "taking all the necessary precautions right now"? I could swear I read posts of yours belittling the whole social distancing and forced closures just a day or two or three ago.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I laughed.

The Utes these days....
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I know, right?
    I used to read yours and Bunions posts on TTips. Used to dial in with my Vic20 and 300 baud modem.

You guys are OG!

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

I am one of those Boomers that needs to embrace the cold hand and slip away.

If I find that happening I will change my will and leave everything to Joey.

Way back in the day it was an insult to label someone a Joey, times change.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The winter withdrawal symptoms are starting already! If someone belongs on the mountain it is certainly Bunion as the man rips. Going to be a very long off season.

Vail officially done
    (tho Whistler, Breck & Heavenly have an outside shot at returning)

16 miles or a 30 minute drive depending on traffic. One small set of condos at the hill. It's outside of town. Bogus Basin. Two other independents two hours away are doing the same. Might check that out Friday. For social distancing, seems great. Drive up, piss on my truck tire. Get on the lift. If there's people in line, wait off to the side. Ride by myself. Tail gate beer. Drive home.
    I think you jinxed us guy!

All three just announced closings today.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I laughed.

The Utes these days....
    I tried to draw out the js on him and I hurt some special fuckin snow fuckflakes feelings
    and now im a combatant e -meanyhead
    joejong, buttercunt ,bunners and the rest of you soft skinned e-fucks outta leave the twatasphere o doom for a day
    read the fuckin yoss cats minion sticky and
    take a fuckin lap
    for your least coast az greg bitch comes callin for ya
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Vail officially done
    (tho Whistler, Breck & Heavenly have an outside shot at returning)
    My prediction is that Vail Corp will manage to open one of the three in order to not recoup passholders. "We had an area open so you should have been able to use your pass."
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by UCMERIP View Post
    I think you jinxed us guy!

All three just announced closings today.
    That one's-on me. I got to chair 3 about 30 minutes after they called the season. It was a killer afternoon though. Started nuking snow as I enjoyed a tailgate beer for the closing party.