Burly Alpine Boots for Skinny Calves

I've been using Salomon S-Lab boots for the last 2 years as a touring boot and as a resort boot. They seem to work pretty well but as someone who is heavy, likes to ski heavy skis, likes to do larger cliffs, and like to ski through stuff vs finesse, I think I might gain quite a bit from getting a stiff alpine specific boot, especially with all the sales going around this time of year. The S-lab fits my foot pretty well but I have some slop at the top of the boot. I can tighten down the strap but my foot goes numb pretty quick if I do. I know this probably could be solved with a wrap or new liner but if I'm touring and 90% of the time the boot isn't latched down I don't really mind this. But as a resort boot, I'd love to get some more support without my foot falling off.

So, as a skinny foot, high arch, skinny calf person looking for a burly boot, any boots I should keep an eye out for? I'll probably be stopping by Evo early next week. I've read through some of the forums and a couple have said full tilts for skinny calves? The guy at the shop loved Dabellos for a high performing boot.

Get fitted at evo.

I think most things will work fine for you as the S/lab is not the burliest boot out there.

Atomic hawx ultra is pretty tight around the calf.

Intuitions with thick tongue.

As a fellow skinny calf person, salomons have always fit me well. The technica mach 1 was ok for me. Currently dealing with making a technica firebird work.

I use the S/Lab MTN as my touring boot and the previous gen XMax as my resort boot. The current gen SMax is supposed to be much lower volume than the XMax?

Go see a bootfitter or at least try on some boots at a local big box store before buying for real...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Plug boots are always a great option if they're really skinny.

If not, the Salomon SMax 130 may be worth a look. The all mountain/consumer race boots are likely your best bet.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

you have a good shop, they have good staff, staff know what boots they have that will fit what shapes

go in with an open mind and see what works.

If you have a low volume or high-attachment calf, often time bringing the shell closer in the rear (aka more forward lean) works really well. ie... get red race boots (literally).

No need to get alpine specific in my experience. My nordica strider 130 touring boots ski better than my dalbello kr2 pro ID.

Sure you might not want to tour in your resort boots if you've got something that works for touring but maybe you find a reason to... Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I actually think the liner matters more than shell fit when it comes to calves.

Wrap liners were a huge huge change for me. Shells fit matters for sure, but there are lots of boots with flimsy liners that fit me terribly off the shelf. Add a wrap liner and they're great.

Dalbello has a few boots that are designed for skiers with skinny lower legs. I went from Tecnica Icon to them- 2 different series I had tried out. The Tecnica on the last buckle position seemed tight and all but I'd have the tong with crease line. A wrap liner may also help some other boots.

Krypton 2 is what I ended up in- 3 buckle of the Raichle Cabrio construction style. But another pair of Dalbello boots with the traditional liner and 2 piece also were much better than the Tecnica boots.

IME for skinny calves/ankles you need the right shell & power wraps
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can move the buckles, add shims, or use a high volume wrap liner in any boot if you "need" to make it work.

The two best shells for narrow calves are the Atomic Hawx Ultra line and the Salomon S/Max line at the moment, both because they are noticeably smaller in cuff circumference than the competition and because the heat molding process allows the cuff to wrap a small calf more precisely.

The S/Lab MTN is not a "small calf" or "small ankle" boot, even though the stated forefoot last is 98mm . . .

+1 for Dalbello - lupo or krypton
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I also fall into this category and might be shopping for new boots. How much burley is a hawk ultra over the xtd version that I have as a touring boot? Is it worth it or do I want to go to a heavy pu boot for more damping?

You should definitely buy my 26.5 lupos that have a luxury liner that works for skinny legs.

[QUOTE=gregL;5920545]You can move the buckles, add shims, or use a high volume wrap liner in any boot if you "need" to make it work.

The two best shells for narrow calves are the Atomic Hawx Ultra line and the Salomon S/Max line at the moment, both because they are noticeably smaller in cuff circumference than the competition and because the heat molding process allows the cuff to wrap a small calf more precisely."

Agreed, I have the Atomic Hawks and have thin ankles and high calves in proportion to my foot and and the 130s were almost too stiff and fit tightly around my lower leg.I ended up putting a power wrap in to smooth out the flex a bit.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How much burley is a hawk ultra over the xtd version that I have as a touring boot? Is it worth it or do I want to go to a heavy pu boot for more damping?
    The regular Atomic Hawx Ultra 130S is a PU boot. It is, however, a new-school, lighter design with a slim profile and pared down shell thickness so not especially "burly" compared to other brands' 130's. It does flex more smoothly than the Grilamid XTD and is easier to put on.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll keep them in mind when I head over to Evo tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk