Enough demo binding boot center adjustment range?

So I have a new pair of flat (i.e. non-system) groomer zoomers that came with a suspiciously (i.e. significantly out-of-the-norm relative to the rest of my quiver) forward factory-suggested boot center point. Among many reviews, one French review site gripes about the factory mount point and suggests that better overall performance can be had at -4 cm.

So I got myself a pair of demo bindings to assess. With a bit of paper template finagling, I can easily get 3.5 cm of rearward adjustment range with demo mount holes that won't interfere with where ever along that 3.5 cm range that I will eventually put the inserts for the "real" bindings on.

Alternatively, I can modify the demo binding mount (FYI, we're not talking about messing with some FEA-engineered molded/cast thing here; just putting in screw holes in new locations on a stamped steel plate) to milk out an additional 7 mm for a total 4.2 cm of range.

WWJD (What Would Joo Do)? TIA.

I've done that^^ on a demo binding, I got a small BSL so I moved the mounting plates more forward to get a more forward mount and I could get up to +6
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can 100% do this no problem. I try out different mount points on demo bindings any time I ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've done that^^ on a demo binding, I got a small BSL so I moved the mounting plates more forward to get a more forward mount and I could get up to +6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    You can 100% do this no problem. I try out different mount points on demo bindings any time I ski them.
    I think I may need to clarify.

I have no qualms rejiggering the demo bindings by means of messing with where each part is mounted on the ski ("paper template finagling", same as what XXX-er described). Obviously I intend on re-purposing the demo bindings away from the end of accommodation of a wide range of BSLs... and toward the end of fore-aft movement of one BSL (or a narrow range close to that BSL). The toe-end of the demo bindings, without consideration of mount holes that would be required for the "real" bindings that will be substituted later, has a fore-aft range of 49mm. However, consideration of the eventual mount holes of the "real" binding reduces the usable range down to 35mm. I basically lose one adjustment point at each end of a range with only 8 points (each spaced 7mm apart). This is all talking about merely mounting the demo bindings "special" with my own modified paper template with no permanent modifications made to the bindings themselves.

The part I am interested in hearing people's opinion on is the drilling of new holes in a stamped steel plate that is part of the demo bindings. Yes, I am proposing changing the mount pattern of the demo binding. This can reclaim one of the otherwise unusable adjustment points, giving me an additional 7mm to a total adjustment/assessment range of 42mm. But I am talking about permanently modifying the bindings (the mount plate) themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post

I have no qualms rejiggering the demo bindings by means of messing with where each part is mounted on the ski ("paper template finagling",
    The part I am interested in hearing people's opinion on is the drilling of new holes in a stamped steel plate that is part of the demo bindings. Yes, I am proposing changing the mount pattern of the demo binding. This can reclaim one of the otherwise unusable adjustment points, giving me an additional 7mm to a total adjustment/assessment range of 42mm. But I am talking about permanently modifying the bindings (the mount plate) themselves.
    I don't see why you couldn't move the screws in the mounting plates around, however you want to move the binding around on the ski YMMV but I moved the heel closer to the toe piece so I could get more forward to + 6
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post

I have no qualms rejiggering the demo bindings by means of messing with where each part is mounted on the ski ("paper template finagling", same as what XXX-er described). Obviously I intend on re-purposing the demo bindings away from the end of accommodation of a wide range of BSLs... and toward the end of fore-aft movement of one BSL (or a narrow range close to that BSL). The toe-end of the demo bindings, without consideration of mount holes that would be required for the "real" bindings that will be substituted later, has a fore-aft range of 49mm. However, consideration of the eventual mount holes of the "real" binding reduces the usable range down to 35mm. I basically lose one adjustment point at each end of a range with only 8 points (each spaced 7mm apart). This is all talking about merely mounting the demo bindings "special" with my own modified paper template with no permanent modifications made to the bindings themselves.

Tell us the precise model of demo bindings you are modifying here, and maybe even post photos of the plate you intend to drill.

And might as well tell us your precise ski model, and links to the French reviews you mentioned.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Tell us the precise model of demo bindings you are modifying here, and maybe even post photos of the plate you intend to drill.

And might as well tell us your precise ski model, and links to the French reviews you mentioned.

Sorry for failing to update, but the thread is moot. I finally found a configuration for the demo bindings* that only requires compromising the boot center placement by 2mm (effectively no difference) that would give me the 42mm of adjustment range without causing eventual hole overlap/closeness problems for all points within that range for the threaded inserts of the eventual full-duty bindings, all without having to mod the front mount plate.

* Rossi Axium 120 Speed Sets + 4mm Lexan toe shim to emulate the ramp angle and share a rear pattern (so that can be mounted at whatever highest probability mount point so that I might not have to re-drill for the rear**) w/Look SPX 12's

Anyways, it's also all moot since we're all locked-down for COVID-19.

Well done!

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy