Thread: Fat Bike advice

Fat Bike advice

Hey all, recently a good deal has come up on a 2014 carbon Beargrease that I'm seriously considering. I currently have an 2016 alloy Kona Wo with a carbon fork that I ride with kids and in the winter. The differences between the bikes (as I see them) are as follows:

Spacing:
    150 front, 197 rear - Wo
    142 front, 177 rear - Beargrease
    Any problems with future upgrades?

Tires:
    5" front - both
    4" rear - Beargrease (although salsa and others claim they can get up to 4.8" with "drivetrain modification")
    5" rear - Wo
    I run a 4.6" rear tire in the winter. This is maybe my biggest worry.

Seatpost:
    31.6 - Wo
    27.2 - Beargrease
    I realize this limits me for droppers, but I haven't run one on my fat bike in the past.

HTA
    68.5 - Beargrease
    70 - Wo

STA
    73 - BG
    73 - Wo

Weight
    25-26# - BG
    29# - Wo

I'm mainly doing short rides but would like to do some bike packing in the future.

As I ride in the winter, the carbon seems like it would be more resistant to corrosion from road salts.

Thoughts?

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Buy a $400 chinese carbon frame and swap your stuff over? My biggest worry would be the 142/177 spacing.

what problem with your old bike are you trying to solve?

I have the beargrease and really like it as it performs similar to a regular mtb (fastish feeling, nice turn response). However, I'm also quickly seeing the limitations that it really is only a groomed snow race bike. I can do some of the lesser packed trails, but if you plan on doing more exploration, I'd get something with a wider footprint.

I'm hoping for more snow next year, the golf course grooms for xc skiing and allows fat bikes. I think that is the element for the beargrease. So more for fitness than exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    However, I'm also quickly seeing the limitations that it really is only a groomed snow race bike. I can do some of the lesser packed trails, but if you plan on doing more exploration, I'd get something with a wider footprint.
    4” tires would be a deal breaker for me. We have some groomed, but a lot of our trails are multi use with snowshoeing, runners, postholers, etc. 4.8 bud and lou were game changers even just upgrading from spesh 4.6.

I can't imagine having a bike that looks like an adventure bike but actually isn't. IMO with fat bikes go big or don't go at all. If you want a quicker and more nimble groomed snow machine great get a set of wheels for that but there will be enough times where a true fatty is the right tool for the job and you'll be glad you have 4.6 or 4.8 tires.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 03-14-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks all. Opportunity is no longer there, but the concerns about tire size were at the front of my mind. The Geo was a little better and mtnions question is a good one - what problem am I trying to solve?

All in all, probably weight and a more relaxed HTA. The Wo is nice bike and I've enjoyed my time on it. Tire size is good. Weight is okay. I'll probably keep my eyes out for a frame rather than whole bike.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I like a smaller tire, I’ve found all i ride is packed groom snow, I ride a 2018 beargrease and I ride it like a summer bike. It all depends on what you’re looking to do. For me it’s perfect because I want to ride fast flow like summer, but it ain’t for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums