Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SL skis are indeed a ton of fun on hard snow. But holy hell they are a lot of work. And you better like making one turn shape the entire day way down the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    SL skis are indeed a ton of fun on hard snow. But holy hell they are a lot of work. And you better like making one turn shape the entire day way down the hill.
    True story.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I would highly recommend the Head Supershape Titan, I think it is about a 15m radius. This is my groomer ski when the slopes are crowded. Positives are: stable at high speeds, great rebound and digs trenches well, loves to carve, with the extra benefit that you can really crank out short radius turns when needed so it can handle the occasional bump run or trees. Negatives are it is not great in powder or sloppy conditions, but that is why I have other skis.

My other skis are Atomic G9 FIS, Volkl Mantra M5 and Rossi S3

The Atomic G9 is a full bore race GS ski that has unbelievable edge hold and is responsive as hell. These just constantly want to go faster and I really only use them a couple days a year in Sun Valley when the crowds are light. These skis result in going 50+ on every run and tire you out; they are really fun, but at the same time a little dangerous since falling at 50 is not fun. Based on this I would not recommend a full blown GS race ski; they are just too fast for crowded slopes.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

East coast groomer skis

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by timeo View Post
    I would highly recommend the Head Supershape Titan, I think it is about a 15m radius. This is my groomer ski when the slopes are crowded. Positives are: stable at high speeds, great rebound and digs trenches well, loves to carve, with the extra benefit that you can really crank out short radius turns when needed so it can handle the occasional bump run or trees. Negatives are it is not great in powder or sloppy conditions, but that is why I have other skis.

My other skis are Atomic G9 FIS, Volkl Mantra M5 and Rossi S3

The Atomic G9 is a full bore race GS ski that has unbelievable edge hold and is responsive as hell. These just constantly want to go faster and I really only use them a couple days a year in Sun Valley when the crowds are light. These skis result in going 50+ on every run and tire you out; they are really fun, but at the same time a little dangerous since falling at 50 is not fun. Based on this I would not recommend a full blown GS race ski; they are just too fast for crowded slopes.
    I agree with this....that is a ski I really wanted, and I think is the sweet spot for a true icy snow carver turn radius..my pair is about a 20m radius, and it can be a bit much if trying to lay clean carves all the way down the steepest runs...usually have a scrub a turn at some point, so I'm not going way too fast.

East coast groomer skis

buttahflake - how do those elan’s compare to the stormriders?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

They are a little stiffer, with more pop at the finish. Not as damp as the SR. More immediate feedback from the surface. Tenacious grip, but combined with the amphibio design, they are really easy to get into the turn and easy to release. Just a great all mountain frontside ski.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I had a set of sl race skis in the past and they are fun for a few hours. Thinking 20m is the right answer here and probably picking up the k2 cheaters at 183 and 20m radius for a good price.

IMO a 20m radius is a bit big for a frontside groomer ski. 16-18 is the sweet spot.

Below 20 is too tight if not running gates.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Below 20 is too tight if not running gates.
    Respectfully disagree. See above posts.

Anybody recommending skis with R<18 didn’t read the OP.

How come nobody has suggested the red ones yet?

Working to coordinate pickup on these. They are red/orange and should be fun. I think the 20m radius on the 182s will be just right, better to bend into small turns than have squirrelly skis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70560701A_K2_Speed_Charger_17_18_Raceski.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	320044

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Anybody recommending skis with R<18 didn’t read the OP.
    Funny, he actually does say that he would consider them, but they're "hard to find". Anything that you're unfamiliar with can be very hard to find.