Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What paper thin touring hoody?

I am a sweaty bastard. I tour with a Dakine touring vest/pack and need a lightweight nylon hoody. Something like a Patagonia dragonfly? Driclime windshirt without the fleece lining inside, Arcteryx incendo? What is out there. A perfect layer would be lightweight, packable into a small pocket, and perhaps even thinner on the back panel. Recommendations. And also open to sale solicitations in Med or Large.
    Last edited by Kootenai; 03-10-2020 at 01:15 PM.

patagonia houdini would be an option. I'm sweaty af and love that jacket for breaking wind on the bike or hike.

OR Ferrosi
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What paper thin touring hoody?

I have found the Patagonia Airshed to be the perfect balance of taking the chill off the wind while still breathing really well. They now do an Airshed Pro that has a hood.

BD Dawn Patrol shell

Salomon makes some awesomely thin running jackets like this, but they don't have a lot of wind/water protection ime so idk what the point is (I can just wear a heavier base layer). If you wanna step up into "real jacket offering some amount of winter weather protection" land, it's expensive, but the Dynafit Mezzalama Alpha is the best I've found for me personally. Super breathable but quite wind resistant, with a juuuust a little bit insulation in spots. I wear it basically every day I tour and I can wear it over a thin baselayer (long sleeve capilene or compression shirt for me) in temps from about -5ºF to maybe 35ºF and stay comfortable. Mine is covered with tape because I ski down without anything over it so often it's hit its fair share of tree branches and so on. The only rub is it's $250 and depending on the color scheme, you may look like a skimo dude. It's the only layer combo I can manage to not have to adjust, aside from sometimes zipping/unzipping the front of the jacket somwhat.

Love my Mountain Hardwear Kor Preshell

I'll second the original Airshed, no experience the Pro Hooded version.

Cool, wasn't aware of the gucci offerings, the Airshed may be the winner. The OR and Dawn patrol are too thick. So to be more specific. This will be worn on the up. I will have a shell for the down.
    Last edited by Kootenai; 03-10-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    OR Ferrosi
    I wear this jacket for 80% of my tours including sweaty uphill sprints before work, and some colder trail runs. It's great and can be found for ~$60 if you're savvy. I've probably got 250+ days on it and it's still in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I wear this jacket for 80% of my tours including sweaty uphill sprints before work, and some colder trail runs. It's great and can be found for ~$60 if you're savvy. I've probably got 250+ days on it and it's still in good shape.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I love jackets like this. I think they're the key to staying comfortable without constantly fiddling with layers. I use:

Patagonia Houdini: Go to piece. Good wind protection.

Patagonia Houdini Air: More breathable. Good for cold calm days. Also excellent for running.

Marmot Driclime Windshirt: Much warmer. Good for skinning on single digit days, but more often I use one of the Houdini's over an R1 hoody. I've also used it for alpine starts with a flat approach where I won't generate much heat. I put it over a light synthetic T shirt to get some warmth before the sun comes up.

Marmot Driclime Vest: On the fucking cold but calm and sunny days when a breathable puffy will be too warm, but a windbreaker won't be enough I'll throw it over a Houdini. Takes up little space and provides a surprising amount of warmth.

I also have an old simple, lightweight Patagonia softshell. I don't use it much for skiing anymore. Too warm for calm days and not enough wind protection for others.

If I had to pick one it would be an easy choice: Houdini. Add a breathable puffy to through over the top, like those OR's that were just on sale, or the Nano Air, and you can be comfortable in a huge range of conditions.

OR Whirlwind?

I found the Patagonnia R1 to be pretty breathable

I wondered if it would be too breathable but its fine

soon as I stop the puffy goes on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have some kind of OR sun hoody - obviously meant for warmer climes - but works fine on winter tours. Adds just a little insulation - but breathes incredibly well. Pair it with a light shell for the down.

Similar: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...o-hoody-269206

The piece you seek is the Rab Borealis Pull-On
    https://rab.equipment/us/borealis-pull-on
    I have the predecessor, the Boreas, and it's hands down the best skinning piece I've ever owned. It's thin like a shirt, but very wind resistant and somewhat water resistant. It's nearly as breathable as a baselayer shirt. I've tried some of the other pieces mentioned here like the Ferrosi and Driclime and while they are great pieces for their uses, this is far lighter and more breathable. It adds basically zero warmth, it's just to cut the wind.

With this recommendation I am assuming that you are carrying another shell jacket to wear while descending. This piece is more of a very light windshirt, NOT an actual shell.

GoreTex C-Knit is my go-to
    absolutely love the Arcteryx Norvan.
    Can tour in it or my Old Patagonia M10 every day from mid winter to late spring.

Then the Patagonia Houdini comes out.

Minor threadjack, but can these light shells/windshirts serve as an only shell for spring skiing in dry conditions? I expect they'd be okay for the alpine but would get shredded in the trees?

I use a Black Diamond Alpine Start hoody for this; it's basically a Patagonia Houdini but with a bit of stretch and maybe better water resistance (maybe not). Have worn the same one every day touring for the last 4 years. Many of my touring partners use a Houdini.

I also have the Rab Boreas that adrenalated suggested, which I use for mountain biking in the shoulder season. Mine seems a little heavy for skinning in all day, but the new version looks good.

Why are you skinning with a Dakine vest? Seems warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post

Why are you skinning with a Dakine vest? Seems warm.
    It's my touring pack: Poacher RAS airbag vest.

Good stuff collective. Still think the Gucci airshed hits all the buttons most effectively. Was looking at this as an option as well. Because it's cheap, and maybe kinda close to some that were recommended: Smartwool Merino Sport Ultra Light Hooded Jacket. 40 bucks on SAC

I also have the Rab Boreas that adrenalated suggested, which I use for mountain biking in the shoulder season. Mine seems a little heavy for skinning in all day, but the new version looks good.
    You have to be thinking of a different piece. The Boreas is thinner than an average t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Love my Mountain Hardwear Kor Preshell
    Good call. Way more breathable than a standard wind shirt (like a Houdini). Super light and packable, comfy (it's softer than a standard wind shirt), and decent wind protection. Plus as breathable as you can get in this category IME.

I use a Black Diamond Alpine Start hoody for this; it's basically a Patagonia Houdini but with a bit of stretch and maybe better water resistance (maybe not). Have worn the same one every day touring for the last 4 years. Many of my touring partners use a Houdini.

came here to post exactly the same thing. BD Alpine Start is great. Lightweight (lightest weight?) Schoeller. Perfect mix of breathability and wind/weather resistance. Was disappointed when I bought the boreas that it was a couple ounces heavier for no real gain to justify the weight.
    2 ounces (~30%) difference between rab & bd.

Gucci Houdini doesn't breathe enough for skinning. They make a houdini air which is meant to sit between airshed and houdini in breathability.
    I'm going to try the airshed pro - biggest complaint with the original airshed is no hood. Airshed, out of all of the above, seems most fragile/snag-prone as an outer layer.

I bought an OR Tantrum II a month or so ago have been using it for runs and skins. Very breathable (a bit more so than houdini piece I own), light, BRIGHT, relatively soft, and has some stretch. Zero insulation, just wind shield and light precip (flurries ok, heavy wet snow not.)

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...4424?cat=273,7

Thumb loops are crap. Arms are average length (fine for me in L at 6'2" normal ape index.)

One design feature I like is the pocket it packs into is big -- meaning I can pack/unpack it in much quicker time, just doesn't compress as small.

Heres the OGL review: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...i#pricecompare

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    ...I tour with a Dakine touring vest...
    Well there's your problem.