Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mtnwriter - If you've moved to Philly area plenty of good resources for used bikes and plenty of really great shops. If you're on Facebook the "South East PA United Cycling Classifieds" is pretty good. Lot's of mountain bikers in the area. Where in SEPA are you in particular?

My $0.02 is that our local terrain is best suited to a 130mm or less trail bike, . Exceptions exist to this, mostly Mt Penn, Bear Creek, and State College/Jim Thorpe, maybe French Creek.

Cool! Thanks for that. Dresher, PA is current location. I’ve been riding in Wissahickon since we moved but haven’t gotten over to French creek this time around yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Thoughts on SC 5010 vs Transition Scout? I am currently negotiating on one of each on pinkbike. 2019 Models, both are GX/XT level. I have almost been tempted to spring on a longer travel bike but then i go riding with my kids and realize that I am 45 and don't need something with 170mm of travel. Going to be mostly riding up and down, fucking around in our neighborhood and riding flowy singletrack that my kids can handle. Seems like both the 5010 and Scout are good choices for this general, all around, goofing around?
    I demoed both the Scout and 5010. For whatever reason I just didn't click with the Scout. I loved the Smuggler when I hopped on it so I thought I'd like the Scout as well but it just didn't do it for me.

I found the 5010 to be a super fun bike when I rode it last year. I had a blast riding it on the mellow trails where the demo was located. It accelerates fast and is poppy and playful. I definitely clicked with the 5010.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Subscribed.

TLDR; I’m looking for a new bike and reading through all this.

If you have all the virus time and want to read way more than normal:

I currently have a 29’er hardtail steel ride that a friend on here built me about 10 years ago. I’ve been updating parts as I need to but it’s got an ok rock Shox fork that still works fine and every LBS I’ve used between RI, MA and now PA for service tell me it’s all in pretty good shape.

My terrain / area is mostly going to be the eastern part of PA. Should be similar in terrain to what smartiak is dealing with if he’s in DE. I mostly ride XC terrain. Lots of well built and maintained trails and systems in the philly area. Some more hardcore stuff in the Jim Thorpe area that I used to ride years ago and am getting reacquainted with now after moving back to PA from New England. Where I grew up (NEPA) there are lots of multi use old ATV, dirt bike trails etc. that are also pretty flowy and root and rocky but not too much technical or hard core terrain. None of it Requires a ton of climbs or hard core descents.

I would like to get a 2nd bike with rear suspension and can be something other than another 29’er. AFAIK there’s no need for me to get a carbon frame or anything super built out and customized. I don’t think I’ll ever be worthy of riding anything super hard core. I’m not even close to medium core.

But I’ll be spending less time in New England skiing and more out west. Most likely dentist stuff now that I’ve got kids. The upside is more biking days on the areas and terrain mentioned above.

Oh, I also don’t know shit about mountain bikes and am trying to learn the language and all the tech stuff.

Interested in any opinions or just links etc if anyone has thoughts and I’m continuing to look more at all the biking links here.

Any new bike would need to make sense and run under $4k. Like a second bike that’s a 27.5 with rear suspension that makes climbing more techy stuff easier or something that might be able to handle more technical terrain to help my lack of skills as a rider.

Don't be afraid to take a look and demo some of the newer short travel 29ers. I have a Pivot Trail 429 and that bike is awesome.

Once life returns back to a recognizable form of normal go find a demo truck (free demos) or a bike shop that has some high end demos and throw your leg over a few of the current short travel offerings (both 29ers and 27.5) to see what you like. A few years ago I was in the same boat looking for a new short travel 27.5 bike but the modern 29er bikes blew my mind.

Subscribed.

TLDR; I’m looking for a new bike and reading through all this.

Any new bike would need to make sense and run under $4k.
    If we're talking used (or NOS) and you can find one: a SC Tallboy3 is MONEY around here. I've known a few people that really like the Salsa Horsethief for around here (uses the same spilt pivot design as Devinci); you can prolly find one of those used for a reasonable price.

Also: People seem to like their Pivot Trail429 and Ibis Ripley V2 (I didn't gel with either (cockpit feels small))...but if they fit you, you'd prolly find they work well around here.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

What size, mntwriter?
    I have a bike for sale that ticks most of those boxes for $3k.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Slightly Used bikes (<$3000) that make your shorts tight.

Medium. Bump up your thread, yo!

Also, thanks for all the comments! Very helpful

Medium. Bump up your thread, yo!

Also, thanks for all the comments! Very helpful

I have a 2018 Trek Slash 9.8 that's soon to be for sale, if you're interested. Size 17.5. Mostly stock. Haven't figured a price yet, but it'd be less than $3k.

Thanks guys! Let me start getting through what all this shit means and what I need! I’ll check back here as well.

I do think I’ll put off any buying decisions until I figure out what the fuck is going on out there in the real world! It may be bad to buy a bike when I needed a ventilator. Kidding. I hope.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
    Fer Shur. I just bought a DH bike 3 weeks ago. That ain’t getting used any time soon!

Check out Mountain Bike Classified Southeast on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

mtnwriter - Nice and close to Wiss! Definitely think you'll be best suited to ~120mm 29er trail bike. Pivot 429 trail, Tallboy, Trek Fuel, Stumpjumper ST, or Camber would be my recommendation. 29er geo has come a long way and our generally rolling terrain suits 29ers IMO. I ride Marsh Creek from my front door and Harmony Hill a bit of a pedal away where I'd say 80% of newish bikes are 29ers.

For sure! I used to live in Chestnut Hill at one point. Ride right from my door!

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I demoed both the Scout and 5010. For whatever reason I just didn't click with the Scout. I loved the Smuggler when I hopped on it so I thought I'd like the Scout as well but it just didn't do it for me.

I found the 5010 to be a super fun bike when I rode it last year. I had a blast riding it on the mellow trails where the demo was located. It accelerates fast and is poppy and playful. I definitely clicked with the 5010. Don't be afraid to take a look and demo some of the newer short travel 29ers. I have a Pivot Trail 429 and that bike is awesome.

Once life returns back to a recognizable form of normal go find a demo truck (free demos) or a bike shop that has some high end demos and throw your leg over a few of the current short travel offerings (both 29ers and 27.5) to see what you like. A few years ago I was in the same boat looking for a new short travel 27.5 bike but the modern 29er bikes blew my mind.
    Thanks for this. I was kind of shying away from a 29er based on my experience with a 10+ year old rigid singlespeed.

But you piqued my interest in the Smuggler. Looking at the specs seemed like exactly what I as looking for. Randomly local shop had a NX equipped one that I was able to demo. Really liked it. Long reach for my weird proportions. I was able to flick it around like I wanted. You were all right about the newer 29ers. So I put it on my list of possibles. Found one on Pinkbike that will work with my budget and it should be here early next week.

Glad I could help. The Smuggler is a sweet bike. You're going to have a blast on it.