L I’ll pll L prob a oppn op

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Corner store junkies giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by miahw2828 View Post
    L I’ll pll L prob a oppn op

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I'm not criticizing you, or your post, it just totally sucks that's where we're at with the sport.
    There are plenty of nice bikes, that can be bought new for $3k or under.

That bike has a bunch of moving parts sourced from at least 5-10 different companies (often more), some fairly sophisticated suspension, hydraulic brakes, and it can take a shitload of abuse.

Compare that to skis - most skis are retailing for around $700, have zero moving parts, and a reasonably ambitious tinkerer can construct a pair of skis in their garage.

In that context, bikes feel like a pretty good deal at ~4x the price of a pair of skis.

Slightly Used bikes (<$3000) that make your shorts tight.

Seen most of last-year’s-model Transition bikes with NX/GX build going for around $2500 on the major retailer sites

I paid around $2500 for a Patrol late last summer when it had looked like I’d be paying around that much for a similarly equipped used bike

no idea wtf is up with this evo link
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...bike-2019-.jpg
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-10-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    <snip>
    In that context, bikes feel like a pretty good deal at ~4x the price of a pair of skis.
    And $3000 ain't worth what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Coupla notes:

1) Just because you didn't like your old 29'er doesn't mean you won't like a new one. Don't let wheel size be a deciding factor. Geometry has come a loooong way. I think you'd be happy on either wheel size. I thought I hated 29ers too, turns out, I just hated my bike's geo. Now I'm never going back to little wheels.
    2) for 3 grand these days you don't need to go used. NX Ripmo AF or similar will make you a very happy camper, and will come with shop support that a used bike won't.
    3) If you do go used, treat that Ripmo AF as a bottom line. If a used bike doesn't come with 1x, decent suspension, and good geo, why buy it over a brand new AF? Carbon wheels matter way less than good geo.
    4) It's important to remember that for most "industry" type people, they can get a GX level build (usually a 5kish build with carbon frame) of whatever their favorite sexy new bikes is for somewhere in the region of $3-3800 on pro deal. So it makes a ton of sense for them to flip that bike for 3k every year and get a new one. Folks doing that are a great way to get a nice bike for cheap.
    5) This one is just personal bias, so feel free to ignore, but I'd never buy a used Yeti. Some sucker paid a crap ton for that thing, and chances are, they're trying to make back that money from you. On the flipside though, you'd have a hard time convincing me to buy a used direct to consumer bike like a YT just because they're so affordable that I've seen too many folks buy em and run them into the ground and ignore maintenance. Again, feel free to ignore, but I just don't see the point in buying used "superbikes" or budget bikes.
    Yeah, I agree. Although, I have no idea about the Yeti thing, but I'll take your word for it.

Night and day between my old 29er and my new'ish 29er. Shit, my bike is getting old.

My bud picked up a Ripmo AF and it's a great bike at a very good price brand new.

My kid picked up a used same year '19 from a kid that works at a shop. Win-win. Maintained and probably ridden fairly hard, but again it was maintained and he sold it for essentially what he had in it.

What is the word on theproscloset.com? Certified Pre Owned mean anything? They have a Davinci Django that might be a contender.

Shop Nerd here with a bike that fits that description! (but with an absolutely new XT drivetrain)
    $3200 ($7300 new)

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ntain+altitude
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Shop Nerd here with a bike that fits that description! (but with an absolutely new XT drivetrain)
    $3200 ($7300 new)

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ntain+altitude
    I saw your thread. But probably too small?

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

I was going to mention that, but I figure this thread will get some eyeballs.
    Sorry for the takeover!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And $3000 ain't worth what it used to be.

I guess.
    https://up.craigslist.org/search/mca...max_price=3500

Slightly Used bikes (&lt;$3000) that make your shorts tight.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Probably a little older than what you’re looking for but about to sell my ‘14 Giant Trance 27.5 x1 build w upgrades for around $1k.

You probably don’t want to deal w shipping but Keyes is in the market for a bike.
    Uno mas

Good news: just like you can buy 15-20 year old motorcycles for cheap, you can buy 15-20 year old mountain bikes for waaaay less than $3k.

Those are all shitty mountain bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Evo can also deliver whatever they show online to any of their local stores, so surf around on their website.

Leftover Devinci Troy 27.5:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...bike-2018-.jpg
    I know everyone is dying to know the end of the story. But I ended up ordering this Devinci. Seemed like a lot of bike for the money. Full warranty, etc. I was trying to talk a dealer in California down on a Scout but it was going to end up about $400 more with a similar spec. Although I liked the color better....

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

I bought a leftover 2018 Devinci Marshall 29 from Evo last summer. Pretty happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I am still on the hunt. It is hard to buy a bike during a pandemic. I cancelled my order with Evo because it was on hold until all this Covid stuff is over. Been trying to strike deals on Pink Bike but shipping seems kind of a dealbreaker. Keep thinking there will be better deals in a couple months once people are actually able to transact business.

Am I the only one who's like, totally amazed/bummed that a used bicycle would be three fucking thousand dollars?
    i was out riding gravel roads the other day. Only one I saw was some guy on dirt bike. Looked like a nice bike. Than I realized my bicycle probably cost as much.
    I am fairly new to this bike thing . since we are talking used bikes. I have a santa cruz 5010 my first bike. bought 4 years ago. bike is in good shape new tires rotors and pads. cheap dropper post. Aluminum model. Is it worth $1000? Want to be fair but if it is not worth that I will just keep it for a loaner for visitors. thanks
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Been trying to strike deals on Pink Bike but shipping seems kind of a dealbreaker. Keep thinking there will be better deals in a couple months once people are actually able to transact business.
    I’m sure there’ll be good deals a a couple months, but people will still think their junk is gold.

Steer your PB deals to Bike Flights & ShipBikes.

Bike Flights = A little more expensive but worth it for superior insurance and customer service.
    Ship Bikes if you want to keep it cheap.

I just bought a DH rig and shipping + insurance was $100 bucks for a huge 50# box.

However many are in a shit ton.

I just turned down $2800 shipped for my altitude. I probably would do that picked up in person, though.

3.5%

However many are in a shit ton.

Thoughts on SC 5010 vs Transition Scout? I am currently negotiating on one of each on pinkbike. 2019 Models, both are GX/XT level. I have almost been tempted to spring on a longer travel bike but then i go riding with my kids and realize that I am 45 and don't need something with 170mm of travel. Going to be mostly riding up and down, fucking around in our neighborhood and riding flowy singletrack that my kids can handle. Seems like both the 5010 and Scout are good choices for this general, all around, goofing around?

Is it wrong that I lust after Mondraker Foxy29? Here in the land of flatness and short climbs, I really have no need for one; and no bomber descents...so don't really need that much squish. It would also be > $3000, but: whatever).

I've never ridden a Mondraker, but every time I see one, I think: DAMMIT, that is sex on wheels). I tend to ride over the front wheel anyways, so much of the criticism doesn't bother me and every review describes it as "efficient." And at it's weight, why not get it rather than a 30# Smuggler or a 29# Tallboy? Also, I really liked the Pivot FB29 (waaay more than the SB or the Trail429), I think it's b/c I'm tall with lonooong arms, so the large bike just fits better). I know: I'm justifying .

Should I just drop the whole idea or, like most great (and terrible) ideas, forge forward with resolve!

(Prolly wrong thread, but it would be used and I'm not starting a whole thread to entertain my dumb ideas).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Smarty - Definitely much more travel than needed around your parts (Fair Hill/WhiteClay, most of Brandywine), but if you got that and the Trek Fuel you posted a while back would be a good combo. I'm finally adding a 130/120 bike, Stumpy ST, to supplement my rigid SS and 100mm Pivot 429sl up here in Downgintown (Harmony and Marsh Creek my ride-from home options). The 429 has been absolutely the fastest bike for my local trails and raced MASS Open/Pro on it for years, but looking for something more playful w/o going too ridiculous.

Besides we're all going to be riding solo for the next 4-6 months, perfect time to get a ridiculous bike that you won't have to worry about keeping up with anyone on group rides

Subscribed.

TLDR; I’m looking for a new bike and reading through all this.

If you have all the virus time and want to read way more than normal:

I currently have a 29’er hardtail steel ride that a friend on here built me about 10 years ago. I’ve been updating parts as I need to but it’s got an ok rock Shox fork that still works fine and every LBS I’ve used between RI, MA and now PA for service tell me it’s all in pretty good shape.

My terrain / area is mostly going to be the eastern part of PA. Should be similar in terrain to what smartiak is dealing with if he’s in DE. I mostly ride XC terrain. Lots of well built and maintained trails and systems in the philly area. Some more hardcore stuff in the Jim Thorpe area that I used to ride years ago and am getting reacquainted with now after moving back to PA from New England. Where I grew up (NEPA) there are lots of multi use old ATV, dirt bike trails etc. that are also pretty flowy and root and rocky but not too much technical or hard core terrain. None of it Requires a ton of climbs or hard core descents.

I would like to get a 2nd bike with rear suspension and can be something other than another 29’er. AFAIK there’s no need for me to get a carbon frame or anything super built out and customized. I don’t think I’ll ever be worthy of riding anything super hard core. I’m not even close to medium core.

But I’ll be spending less time in New England skiing and more out west. Most likely dentist stuff now that I’ve got kids. The upside is more biking days on the areas and terrain mentioned above.

Oh, I also don’t know shit about mountain bikes and am trying to learn the language and all the tech stuff.

Interested in any opinions or just links etc if anyone has thoughts and I’m continuing to look more at all the biking links here.

Any new bike would need to make sense and run under $4k. Like a second bike that’s a 27.5 with rear suspension that makes climbing more techy stuff easier or something that might be able to handle more technical terrain to help my lack of skills as a rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk