Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

The sub-100 PNW, travel, dad ski quest

Rather than clog multiple manufacturer threads with the same question, hoping to collect advice here. and also hoping it will be useful for others with a similar quest.

Me: 5'8", ~150lb nekkid. "Advanced" skier but no racing background. Been skiing for over 4 decades (old). Enjoy more directional, dampish skis. Like steep, chopped up terrain. Like medium to long radius piste rips. Not fond of massive moguls. No flippy spinny bullshit for this old dude with back issues. Current skis: 183 Scott Punisher 108, 183 OG Gotama (104? pre rocker), selling my 186 BGs (sale pending!), ancient but still loved Line Motherships for touring. Other skis I've liked based on quick 1 or 2 run demos: Prior overlord (think that was the model name, it was mid-100 all mtn fucking solid), Moment Deathwish

Looking for: something in the 90-100ish range that:
    skis firm, groomed better than my OG Gotamas and Punishers. these both do fine on softer groomed. But I find myself dad skiing a lot more on whatever is currently available at Snoq Pass.
    Add versatility to a travel ski (currently the Punishers usually). So increasing fun factor of firm snow while still able to ski a wide range of conditions well.
    Worried about overly stiff tails which will punish my occasional bad form.
    Prefer longer over shorter turning radius but this is a grey (gray?) area with newer shapes obviously
    Want high speed stability but not at all costs. I'm old.

Skis on my radar after spending way too much time on here and Blister.. all 19/20 vintage unless noted, and in the 178-183ish length unless noted
    19/20 Blizzard R9
    19/20 Blizzard Bonefide 180
    19/20 M102
    19/20 Liberty Origin 96
    19/20 J Masterblaster
    ??? ON3P Wren 96/98 (too much ski for me?)
    Moment commander 98 (too much?)
    Nordica Enforcer 100 (104 Free too close to my other skis?)

Please help narrow this list and/or add others. And let me know why. thanks!

I'd consider adding Volkl M5 Mantra or Mantra 102. Might find them a bit stiff in the tails, but it sure makes steep, choppy snow and firm groomers fun. The 96mm M5 has become my go-to Snoq Pass and hard snow dad ski.

Business - mantra - that's what the ski does well.
    More fun - praxis piste jib is probably worth a look - 25m radius in the 184, which actually measures 182 and has a nice bit of tail rocker to keep it both fun and forgiving.
    Somewhere in the middle- wren 96? woodsman 96?

Unicorn - 4frnt turbo. 28 m radius in a 182. "early rise" in the tip and tail - they refrained from calling it all out rocker. Short rockered sections to say the least. Tail breaks out easily if needed, but locks in beautiful long radius arcs as well. If you can find a pair of those, that's your ski.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I'd add the on3p woodsman 96 to your list. A little easier to ski than the wrens but still directional. I got them for lowish tide usage in tahoe as my all around ski and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Skis on my radar after spending way too much time on here and Blister.. all 19/20 vintage unless noted, and in the 178-183ish length unless noted

19/20 Blizzard Bonefide 180
    I've got a pair of new old stock, unmounted, 180 bonafides from the 14/15 season if you're interested.

I've got 187 Masterblasters, and also live in Seattle. Their edge hold is only okay on truly hard snow, but they're much more versatile and fun in better snow off piste than most anything I've tried that's a big step up in ability to carve on straight up ice.

If you can get into a P14 mounted for a 305 BSL we can probably arrange a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Unicorn - 4frnt turbo. 28 m radius in a 182. "early rise" in the tip and tail - they refrained from calling it all out rocker. Short rockered sections to say the least. Tail breaks out easily if needed, but locks in beautiful long radius arcs as well. If you can find a pair of those, that's your ski.
    I haven't actually skied it but if seen them in person (and in blister reviews) and the dynastar menace 98 sounds a lot like this.

And Corbett's has them relatively cheap.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I have a 187 masterblaster and it’s tons of fun. The ski has a very damp layup that doesnt transmit vibrations from nasty snow and the ski is super fun off piste due to tails that are easy to slide around.

Pretty high speed limit and fun to carve on groomers, but like said above not the most precise ski on ice/super hard snow, but if you don’t care about that and would rather have something that is fun everywhere else I thi k the masterblaster is the ticket.

Haven’t skied the woodsman 96 but have skied the 108/116 and think that ski would feel similar to the masterblaster and be a great option.

I have a 184 Praxis Piste Jib for this spot on my quiver which I'm thinking about parting with in case you're interested. It's a heavy core, carbon, veneer layup in a flex 3. I'm two inches taller than you but I've got 60 lbs on you. It's the most fun ski I've ever ridden on in spring skiing conditions. I'm considering selling it because it's a little too soft for my taste. PM me if you're interested.
    Last edited by Kopi_Red; 03-10-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Praxis 9D8 as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

You’re describing the K2 Mindbender 90ti. I think the 177 would work for you. End of season deals now especially at Corbett’s.

some very helpful insights and suggestions in here thanks everyone, keep em coming! Well, seeing as the woodsman 96 got three recommendations, guess they should be on my short list. 177 or 182? Feel free to PM me a discount code at EVO or elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've got 187 Masterblasters, and also live in Seattle. Their edge hold is only okay on truly hard snow, but they're much more versatile and fun in better snow off piste than most anything I've tried that's a big step up in ability to carve on straight up ice. If you can get into a P14 mounted for a 305 BSL we can probably arrange a demo.
    Appreciate the offer, but I'm a 316BSL so probably a bit out of easy range. Good to hear you concur on masterblaster being on my list!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I've got a pair of new old stock, unmounted, 180 bonafides from the 14/15 season if you're interested.
    PM sent, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I have a 184 Praxis Piste Jib for this spot on my quiver which I'm thinking about parting with in case you're interested. It's a heavy core, carbon, veneer layup in a flex 3. I'm two inches taller than you but I've got 60 lbs on you. It's the most fun ski I've ever ridden on in spring skiing conditions. I'm considering selling it because it's a little too soft for my taste. PM me if you're interested.
    pm sent, thanks. too soft for you might be money for you-60lbs

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Praxis 9D8 as well.
    I've always had my eye on the 9D8, thanks. seems odd its <20m turn radius I would have guessed it to have a higher radius than the Piste Jib. Maybe someone will chime in wanting to sell their 9D8s...

Quote Originally Posted by rainy512day View Post
    You’re describing the K2 Mindbender 90ti. I think the 177 would work for you. End of season deals now especially at Corbett’s.
    yeah, the Mindbenders should probably be on this list thanks, but I probably lean to 99 to add versatility.

4frnt msp 99 is traditional, versatile and not punishing at all. Worth considering along with all the other great options already listed.

I've also got the 187cm Masterblaster. I'm 6' and 180 lbs. It's a fun ski at speed and a strong all-arounder. But for dad skiing (slower, more turns) and moguls, I'd probably prefer the next size down. I say that as someone who hasn't owned a sub-185cm ski since the 90's.

Dynastar Menace 98. Cheap. Intuitive. Some heft for cruddy conditions but not ever punishing. Easy to ski backwards with the kids and take into the park if need be. Easy in the moguls.

Not going to be as good on the firm as something with metal like the MSP or Enforcer -- depends on what you want to sacrifice.

I'm a 316BSL
    If you want to save a bunch of money, I also have a used pair of 2014 Brahmas. 180cm, 125-88-110, R19m, tip and tail rocker, with low camber underfoot. Drilled for FKS/pivots @ 315

In good shape, but one of them has a very minor twist (rocks slightly on a flat bench). I can't tell which one when skiing, but if that would bother you, it's a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    4frnt msp 99 is traditional, versatile and not punishing at all. Worth considering along with all the other great options already listed.
    I'll second the msp 99 in 181, love mine. Can slarve around really easy at slow speeds when skiing with my kids but can charge plenty hard when mama takes them so I can get a few laps in.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I picked up some 186 Liberty V92 recently, intending for them to be a travel ski. I skied them 4 days, and am not keeping them. Tips are too soft for my tastes, and the mount point is too far forward. On the plus side, the soft tips really dampen out any chatter in crud, and they hold an edge on hard pack well.

These had good reviews so I took the chance - just not my liking.

Mounted on the line for a 317 BSL for Look Pivot (not turntable, but the precursor to the PX). $175 flat. PM if this is of interest. Other than the mount, they're minty fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I recently bought a ski for the purpose you’re describing. Got Fischer ranger 94 fr’s in a 177. Two partial days on them now at snoqualmie. Been enjoying. Definitely can rail and if snow is less that say 8” deep I’d say they’re every day ski for dad days. My other ski is a 180cm rustler 11 which I love. Previous skis I’ve enjoyed, atomic atlas, Buddha gotama.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Mantra 102 184 replaced this dad's OG 183 Gotama. Carves better, floats better. Simple to ski and is there when I decide to begin ripping. My Gotama is still alive, but the M102 is everything the Gotama wanted to be. It also replaced my 84mm full camber groomer-zoomer. (Nordica Jet Fuel, 186)

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The Mantra 102 184 replaced this dad's OG 183 Gotama. Carves better, floats better. Simple to ski and is there when I decide to begin ripping. My Gotama is still alive, but the M102 is everything the Gotama wanted to be. It also replaced my 84mm full camber groomer-zoomer. (Nordica Jet Fuel, 186)
    So how stiff are those M102 tails? Blister says they may be a hair stiffer than the all business M5, which worries me and my not superb technique and fairly light mass, but also isn't very helpful as I haven't skied the M5 either. Also thinking I should target 90's for waist as I already have a (kinda) do everything ski in the 100's (Punisher 108). Should M102 be added to the Masterblaster, Woodsman 96 shortlist deathmatch?

Quote Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
    I'll second the msp 99 in 181, love mine. Can slarve around really easy at slow speeds when skiing with my kids but can charge plenty hard when mama takes them so I can get a few laps in.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    thanks, lake_effect and poleplant. Blister specifically mentions the manageability of the MSP 99 tail which is great

So how stiff are those M102 tails? Blister says they may be a hair stiffer than the all business M5, which worries me and my not superb technique and fairly light mass, but also isn't very helpful as I haven't skied the M5 either. Also thinking I should target 90's for waist as I already have a (kinda) do everything ski in the 100's (Punisher 108). Should M102 be added to the Masterblaster, Woodsman 96 shortlist deathmatch?
    I don’t find the tails demanding at all. I find them releasable with their subtle rocker. I have a hunch the M102 is the most underrated do-it-all ski of 2020.

I think their “noisy” carbon tips are perfect for float in soft snow. I think the 3D radius is intuitive and allows me to arc whatever turn I want. And I think the “broken” titanium frame simultaneously allows for grip and release.

I don’t think it’s heavy. But it was my choice in rain-fed, and then refrozen ice that, at lower altitude, turned into slush.

I think the M102 absolutely shreds. But I don’t think it’s demanding at all.

But I still have my Renegade for pow.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I don’t find the tails demanding at all. I find them releasable with their subtle rocker. I have a hunch the M102 is the most underrated do-it-all ski of 2020.

I think their “noisy” carbon tips are perfect for float in soft snow. I think the 3D radius is intuitive and allows me to arc whatever turn I want. And I think the “broken” titanium frame simultaneously allows for grip and release.

I don’t think it’s heavy. But it was my choice in rain-fed, and then refrozen ice that, at lower altitude, turned into slush.

I think the M102 absolutely shreds. But I don’t think it’s demanding at all.

But I still have my Renegade for pow.
    thanks! appreciate the added insights. mind sharing your rough weight?

Yep, M5 for slightly more firm snow bias or M102 for more off-piste bias. Don't be afraid of the tails on either of them, and the M102 is not quite the man-killer that Blister suggests. The M102 191cm will be my DD next year. There are actually a bunch of good skis in this category. Best bet is to go demo them and judge for yourself. I think the big demo at Crystal is on the 28th of this month; you have to pre-register. WELL worth the effort.