Page 23 of 93 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    ........The ATK website is showing some new templates for some of their models but they can't be downloaded yet. Hopefully they'll finally be offering decent templates with sole length marking etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    I contacted ATK this morning about the missing download links for the new templates, and they promptly replied that they have just uploaded them.

Apparently this new template is for bindings with serial numbers starting with X. I can't see any difference from first glance, but I'll look closer when I get home.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I see that the two front holes in the toe piece are 15 mm narrower than on the "old" template. I guess there's a new toe coming?
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

New toe mounting pattern for Freeraider 14, C-Raider 12, Raider 12, Raider 10 Release 10, Front 10 & Candy 5 bindings

ATK have just advised me that they have a patent issue with their current binding mounting pattern in the above models so are having to change it. The new toe patterns for these bindings will see the front toe hole locations narrowing from 45mm centres to 30mm centres. The rear toe holes and the heel holes are unchanged. This means that the new toes will use the P1-P1-H1-H1 locations on the M06 jig. The new models will have an X prefix on the model number to identify them plus a large warning sticker on the box. Anyone that has an M07 jig won't have these new holes so they can return their jig to their distributor and exchange it for the latest M06 jig for only a small upcharge charge.

However, it's unlikely that any of these new pattern bindings will be available before the 21/22 season so there's no need to panic!!
    To be honest it'd be better if they'd not said anything until the end of the season as it'll only cause confusion.

To be honest it'd be better if they'd not said anything until the end of the season as it'll only cause confusion.
    Causing confusion doesn't really seem to be much of a concern for ATK

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

New toe mounting pattern for Freeraider 14, C-Raider 12, Raider 12, Raider 10 Release 10, Front 10 & Candy 5 bindings

ATK have just advised me that they have a patent issue with their current binding mounting pattern in the above models so are having to change it. The new toe patterns for these bindings will see the front toe hole locations narrowing from 45mm centres to 30mm centres. The rear toe holes and the heel holes are unchanged. This means that the new toes will use the P1-P1-H1-H1 locations on the M06 jig. The new models will have an X prefix on the model number to identify them plus a large warning sticker on the box. Anyone that has an M07 jig won't have these new holes so they can return their jig to their distributor and exchange it for the latest M06 jig for only a small upcharge charge.

However, it's unlikely that any of these new pattern bindings will be available before the 21/22 season so there's no need to panic!!
    Thanks for posting.

Geez! Nothing like a company (not ATK) trying to make this all the more difficult. I get it. They don't want it to be easy for people to replace their beloved xxxx binders with ATKs. How many people (outside this community) change bindings on an existing mount, however?

A mounting pattern being patentable? I'd love to see the engineering justification for that one.

What's interesting (from a technical perspective) is that they chose to narrow the mounting footprint of their burly bindings (to one of their other standards, as opposed to just altering it by 2-3mm). Perhaps their mounting jig was a consideration, but given their strong engineering bias, it makes me wonder how important a wide mounting footprint really is. I've always doubted its importance, but have no technical basis for saying so.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Just a pic with my Maestrale RS after a couple days after using, the pins align where they need to... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201125_061837284.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	349727
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    .......Geez! Nothing like a company (not ATK) trying to make this all the more difficult.....
    Feckin' lawyers eh! Although whoever holds the patent (and we can make an educated guess who that might be) is probably wanting to be vindictive if ATK are now kicking their asses.

.......A mounting pattern being patentable? I'd love to see the engineering justification for that one.......
    I was surprised by that too. Was talking to another trade guy this afternoon about this and he visited the Fritschi factory at the time that they were developing the Vipec and they told him about mounting patterns being within patents. ATK's email actually says the patent issue is in certain countries (they don't say which) but as they sell globally they need a solution that's a solution that's global.

........it makes me wonder how important a wide mounting footprint really is. I've always doubted its importance......
    Me too. I can see how the width of the base plate might give additional support but as long as the binding base is flat/tight on the top sheet then it can't any practical difference. Everyone raves about the Pivot heel as being the gnarliest on the planet yet it has the smallest mounting pattern on the alpine market and it's only matched in size by skimo race tech heels weighing under a 100g. The weakest link in the system has got to be the construction of the ski, especially on lightweight touring skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Causing confusion doesn't really seem to be much of a concern for ATK
    LOL. You're right. All these different overlapping models/names is straight out of the Dynafit playbook.

This isn't specifically an ATK question, more of a general ski tech jong question but I moved to a 2 touring boot quiver and I will be moving the heelpieces on my Crests back and forth a lot this season as I switch between boots. None of my screwdriver bits are a perfect fit in the adjustment screw and I don't want to end up stripping out the screw over time. Anybody have recommendations for a cheap bit or screwdriver for this? Seems like Pozi #3 is the best fit for most bindings, is this true for ATK stuff or do the euros do it different?

This isn't specifically an ATK question, more of a general ski tech jong question but I moved to a 2 touring boot quiver and I will be moving the heelpieces on my Crests back and forth a lot this season as I switch between boots. None of my screwdriver bits are a perfect fit in the adjustment screw and I don't want to end up stripping out the screw over time. Anybody have recommendations for a cheap bit or screwdriver for this? Seems like Pozi #3 is the best fit for most bindings, is this true for ATK stuff or do the euros do it different?
    Generally a Pozi 3. You can buy nice Wera brand ones on Amazon for $15.

Pozi is a Euro standard not seen in the US much. Pretty much all bindings are Euro so there you go! Shame it’s not more prevalent here as it’s much better than Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Generally a Pozi 3. You can buy nice Wera brand ones on Amazon for $15.

Pozi is a Euro standard not seen in the US much. Pretty much all bindings are Euro so there you go! Shame it’s not more prevalent here as it’s much better than Phillips.
    Indeed! Posi-drive is so much more ... positive

This should probably go in the stuff you put in your pack thread. I've been re-thinking my touring tool kit and picked this up.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a standard Posi #3 for the home shop, and you should be able to find them pretty easily as well.

The jury is still out on this screwdriver for my pack. I wanted slightly longer bits than those on the BD but not this long. The BD started spitting the bits out (good luck, finding those small bits in the snow) . This one is only 22g heavier than the BD (136 vs. 114g). I'm conflicted. The BD's T-handle seems like a good idea for a field screwdriver (although not so good for in the field length adjustment). Pluses and minuses as usual. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of the click-stop ratchet on the BD (possible point of failure).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-02-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    Galibier Design

Do you carry any bits besides the PZ-3 out into the field with you? If so why?

If you have partners with dynafits you might want a torx bit (don't remember the size) and any bits you might use on boots (hex frequently).

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Indeed! Posi-drive is so much more ... positive

This should probably go in the stuff you put in your pack thread. I've been re-thinking my touring tool kit and picked this up.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a standard Posi #3 for the home shop, and you should be able to find them pretty easily as well.

The jury is still out on this screwdriver for my pack. I wanted slightly longer bits than those on the BD but not this long. The BD started spitting the bits out (good luck, finding those small bits in the snow) . This one is only 22g heavier than the BD (136 vs. 114g). I'm conflicted. The BD's T-handle seems like a good idea for a field screwdriver (although not so good for in the field length adjustment). Pluses and minuses as usual. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of the click-stop ratchet on the BD (possible point of failure).

... Thom
    Awaiting one of these:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ls-at-45-grams

I’ll add a Pozi #3 bit.

Awaiting one of these:

I’ll add a Pozi #3 bit.
    That is an exciting innovation, but the price is crazy

Agree its pricy, but its Its pb swiss and its at least 10x nicer than pot metal Park tool stuff.

Awaiting one of these:

I’ll add a Pozi #3 bit.
    G3 has something similar
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

oh, for feks sake.

Whatever company that is pursuing this patent infringement needs to be called out for it and get their proper amount of negative brand association.

The idiotic part is that I kind of can understand how this patent would make sense if the torsional rigidity of a touring ski was reinforced by a wide mounting pattern, but still - this is bs as if that was the case the patent would for all practical purposes be non-applicable when mounted on regular resort layups.

I do seem to recall Fritschi being under the same constraint in Italy, meaning they just did not sell their bindings there or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Agree its pricy, but its Its pb swiss and its at least 10x nicer than pot metal Park tool stuff.
    Yeah PB Swiss is buy it for life quality.

Do you carry any bits besides the PZ-3 out into the field with you? If so why?
    My skis with inserts have standard Phillips screws. I'm I the fence about carrying the middle one.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    If you have partners with dynafits you might want a torx bit (don't remember the size) and any bits you might use on boots (hex frequently)
    It might be time to start hunting down shorter bits (boots, etc).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

McMaster has all the bits in different lengths for cheap but no free shipping

Apologies if this has been covered, but will Dynafit crampons work with ATK bindings?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered, but will Dynafit crampons work with ATK bindings?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post

Yeah, and also the black diamond ones (which are just painted ATK).

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    McMaster has all the bits in different lengths for cheap but no free shipping
    Thanks. I always think about them for fasteners, but forget about them for tools.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Anyone here know what the difference is in ATK jigs between M05 vs M06?
    I have the M05, but looks exactly like the pictures of the M06.
    (Although my M05 also comes with a swap-in heel plate for E & F.)
    I also have a more basic ATK one-piece jig for race bindings, i.e., mount and install the toe first, then base the heel position off of the boot held in only by the toe.

As for driver heads, if we're talking about the fore/aft adjustment, that has always seemed to work better with ph rather than pz.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Anyone here know what the difference is in ATK jigs between M05 vs M06?
    I have the M05, but looks exactly like the pictures of the M06.
    (Although my M05 also comes with a swap-in heel plate for E & F.)
    I also have a more basic ATK one-piece jig for race bindings, i.e., mount and install the toe first, then base the heel position off of the boot held in only by the toe.

As for driver heads, if we're talking about the fore/aft adjustment, that has always seemed to work better with ph rather than pz.
    M06 includes the mounting pattern for the new (now discontinued) carbon toe found in the C14 and the release10. M05 does not have that pattern.

M07 is apparently already designed and shipping, and it does not include the carbon toe mount pattern.

There may be other differences that I'm not aware of.