Page 16 of 93 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    It seems that at least two of these "whitelabelers", Hagan and Moment, are creating homebrewed variations of the ATK bindings. Maybe the folks at ATK don't want to mess with that part?

cheers,
    john
    Which Hagan binding is modified from the ATK lineup? The only "homebrews" I can think of are this Moment binding and the BD Helio 350 which swaps the R12 toe for the monolink

Exciting!
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Which Hagan binding is modified from the ATK lineup? The only "homebrews" I can think of are this Moment binding and the BD Helio 350 which swaps the R12 toe for the monolink
    Oops, you're right; there's no differences in the Hagan lineup from ATK other than color. I read the description wrong when I ordered the Core 12's.

cheers,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Yes. The ramp on a ATK FR14 is 11mm. The ramp on the Voyager XIV is 7.5mm
    I was about to comment that it's not as if the Raider/Freeraider are pitched forward like earlier Dynafiddles, Plum Guides, etc. (17mm), but yeah, coming down to 7.5 brings them more into line with the speed touring and race binders.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Moment just announced their Voyager XIV, which is a redesigned ATK FR14 with a smaller ramp (sits more flat, no need to shim the toe).

In matte black of course.

https://www.momentskis.com/products/voyager-xiv

Rad.
    YES! We worked with their engineers to get rip of the the steep Euro ramp and make it more North American freeride.
    Well sheeut, I been contemplating how to do the 5mm toe shim for my shiny new fr14, not wanting to relive the tiptoe feeling from ft12 days of yore... and now wish I had known about this development! Kudos, this needed to happen.

So what exactly are these shims that come with the FR14s? There’s 3 different thicknesses (0.6mm, 1.2mm, 2.4mm) but only 4 of each as opposed to 8.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    So what exactly are these shims that come with the FR14s? There’s 3 different thicknesses (0.6mm, 1.2mm, 2.4mm) but only 4 of each as opposed to 8.

They are for the freeride spacer to help get the proper height for varying boot sole thicknesses I believe

YES! We worked with their engineers to get rip of the the steep Euro ramp and make it more North American freeride.
    I'm calling bullshit on this. To achieve this will need a lower heel &/or taller toe and the binding pictured on the Moment site (I freeze framed the vid to give an excellent side elevation view) has the exact same proportions as the regular 20/21 Freeraider 14.

Please quote the pin heights and prove me wrong (ie Heel Pin Height = Height from topsheet to center of pins & Toe Pin Height = Height from topsheet to center of pins with boot engaged).

They have said they raised the toe piece to do this.

Would be easy for any consumer to verify. Seems unlikely theyd straight bullshit and risk blowback.

Official ATK Binding Thread

Moment Skis Discussion
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Go to post #1959

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I'm calling bullshit on this. To achieve this will need a lower heel &/or taller toe and the binding pictured on the Moment site (I freeze framed the vid to give an excellent side elevation view) has the exact same proportions as the regular 20/21 Freeraider 14.........
    Well it's me that's wrong on this

I've just been sorting out my next stock order and I queried the Moment toe height with ATK and they confirmed that yes, it is a taller toe that they've done for them. In my defensive they did confirm that the toe shown on Moments site is the standard height which is what led me to my suspicions. So apologies to Moment for my accusation.

Maybe it'd be a good idea if the marketing pics actually matched the specification.

Maybe it'd be a good idea if the marketing pics actually matched the specification.
    That's entirely too much to ask.

Well it's me that's wrong on this

I've just been sorting out my next stock order and I queried the Moment toe height with ATK and they confirmed that yes, it is a taller toe that they've done for them. In my defensive they did confirm that the toe shown on Moments site is the standard height which is what led me to my suspicions. So apologies to Moment for my accusation.

I don't see where you're wrong, other than not being able to scale a photo on the interwebz. Shame on you ;-)

Taller toe = shim/thicker base plate (what ATK did for them).

Marketing spin? You bet. Patting themselves on the head for common industry practice? Yup.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

So what would you do:

1) Get this from Spyderjon: Freeraider 14 at GBP440.00 that includes the spacer. And get a toe shim tgapp said is available locally at Skimo (I'll have to call to confirm), which may be total of 600
    2) Get the moment Voyager for $700 which comes with a toe shim built-in to the toe.

What am I getting for $100 more with the Voyager?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    So what would you do:

1) Get this from Spyderjon: Freeraider 14 at GBP440.00 that includes the spacer. And get a toe shim tgapp said is available locally at Skimo (I'll have to call to confirm), which may be total of 600
    2) Get the moment Voyager for $700 which comes with a toe shim built-in to the toe.

The colour black

My life is better than your dreams

A USA distributor

Spyder will treat you right. Use the $100 to fill up your truck.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Spyder will treat you right. Use the $100 to fill up your truck.
    +100 this. spyderjon was great to do business with, even if he likes to eat crumpets with his afternoon tea and has crooked teeth. he shipped super fast and was very easy to communicate with.

just kidding about the crooked teeth part. buy from SJ, save some money, and shim the toes yourself.

Not seeing ATK shims on skimo.co. None of the B&D shims fit the FR14 per the FAQ. Is there a shim sold for these anywhere?

Just ordered 3/16" / 4.7mm HDPE sheet and will do a shadetree version, either milled or cut on a laser table.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I don't see where you're wrong, other than not being able to scale a photo on the interwebz. Shame on you ;-)

Taller toe = shim/thicker base plate (what ATK did for them).

Marketing spin? You bet. Patting themselves on the head for common industry practice? Yup.
    What are you on about?

That matte black finish sure is nice though. Very, very nice.

Re which I would get? In spite of the awesome finish on Moment's take I would get FR14s if 100usd cheaper and use them with a shim. I would also then know that the resale market would hit both segments if I wanted to part ways with them, instead of "only" hitting the ones wanting Moment's version. Hard to go wrong either way though.

But again, that matte, black finish is nice...

tgapp, I thought you had a shim bought from skimo? Or not?

I've ordered from Spyderjon before, yes he's great.

tgapp, I thought you had a shim bought from skimo? Or not?

I've ordered from Spyderjon before, yes he's great.
    yep i shimmed my raider 12 2.0's with a skimoco shim. the pic is somewhere down this thread a little ways. took 6mm off the ramp height. the front brake "wings" poke out a little bit but honestly it seems more like a feature than a bug, since i never get snow buildup.

Didn't think people had a enough time on their hands to freeze frame a video and accurately measure 3.5mm.

All specs you were asking for in your previous post are also listed on our site under the specs tab.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-10-16 Voyager XIV.png
Views: 1563
Size:  7.6 KB

And to add to Melee -- since he answered this elsewhere -- it's not a shim, it's a thicker base plate based on new tooling.

So if you want the option of de-shimming -- Spyder. If you want it as one integrated piece, Moment.

So what would you do:

Well the FR14 on Spyderjon site is GBP499 - This is $645 USD and does not include shipping, duties or taxes.

I cant find the shim on the the Skimo.co site so if it exists or not is unclear and who knows the price (although most B&D shims are about $35-$40 for the pair and do not include screws). When dealing with aftermarket screws you may or may not penetrate the skis core at the optimal depth. So everything to me looks like its going to cost more than $700 and you have to be someone in the know on the forums to make this happen.

The ATK FR14 is not easily accessible in the USA and we wanted to change that since we think the FR14 is the best tech binding on the market but we still had some gripes about the ramp and didn't want to have to deal with aftermarket stuff. The guys at ATK are amazing and worked with us to modify and already awesome binding for our style of skiing.

So you can get the Moment Voyager XIV for "$100" more but there is no hassle, you can get it all at one place, in one piece, knowing it was developed and tested by the manufacturer.

Also, we ship worldwide for free on all orders over $400.