Page 29 of 92 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Maybe that’s why the outer screws don’t seem to be as tightly screwed down. That’s kind of an either or mount pattern not an all eight pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a challenge viewing this on a phone, but we're now on the big screen ;-)

I didn't catch that all 8 screw holes were used. Bomber plus? U-bet! My attention was drawn to some of the screws not being seated as deeply in the countersinks as the others.

Is that the nature of the original question?

Having used all 8 screws, I'd be most concerned that the toe piece is seated flat on the ski, and of course, the usual tech toe installation rules apply - that the toe piece / boot is aligned so the heel fitting drops into the pins.

Even if a few screws aren't fully engaged to full thread depth, you have so much redundancy with the extra 4 screws, that it's not a problem.

I'm guessing that the seating issue is due to slight off-center drilling (being 0.5mm off will do it), which is keeping the screws from fully seating in the countersink, but it's difficult to tell from the photo.

[edit]One thing I like about Fritschi is that their toe holes are countebored instead of countersunk. It doesn't make purchasing a binding with countersunk toe holes a show stopper, but counterbores are definitely a "nice to have" feature. Of course, one could argue the exact opposite - that with a perfect mount, countersinks rule ;-) There's no right or wrong.

Every other tech binding I've seen has countersunk toe holes. A countersink is a nice thing when the drilling is precise. When you have to finagle the toe piece to align the heel fitting with the pins, it becomes a bit problematic, however. I somewhat doubt this is an issue with folks who use a jig and centering drill bits.

Since I mount low tech, it's why I've adopted @xxx-er's technique of mounting the heel first, and the toe one hole at a time - aligning the boot heel before drilling the second hole. [/edit]

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-16-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Bought another pair of FR14. If anyone wants a pair of Crest 10 97mm brakes new in box PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm guessing that the seating issue is due to slight off-center drilling (being 0.5mm off will do it), which is keeping the screws from fully seating in the countersink, but it's difficult to tell from the photo.

[COLOR=#b22222][edit]One thing I like about Fritschi is that their toe holes are countebored instead of countersunk.

... Thom
    Double-fixed fasteners, yo

Anyone have a lead on where to find the AL05 universal freeride spacer?

Quote Originally Posted by nkimmes View Post
    Anyone have a lead on where to find the AL05 universal freeride spacer?
    I have a set to dispose of- not willing to ship to USA. What’s ur location

Any feedback on toe shim thickness for the FR14? I'm looking at either 1/8" (3mm) or 1/4" (6mm). Compromise for thicker shim I assume would be reduced heel riser angle. What is recommended?

Live in Salt Lake area and think I"m going to pull the trigger on the FR14 from Telemark Pyranese. They are currently $565. I am planning on getting a backland 100 or 107, haven't decided yet...Couple of questions if anyone is willing to answer

1. Will the 102 mm brake work on a 107 ski like the backland?
    2. Is there a better local source in SLC or anywhere in America to score the FR14 or it's variants manufactured by other companies at a similar price point?
    3. How long does TelemarkPyranese take to ship to US?
    4. They say they include the risers - is this true?

Thanks!

1/ No, ATK stoppers runs small, you need the 108mm.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Live in Salt Lake area and think I"m going to pull the trigger on the FR14 from Telemark Pyranese. They are currently $565. I am planning on getting a backland 100 or 107, haven't decided yet...Couple of questions if anyone is willing to answer

2. Is there a better local source in SLC or anywhere in America to score the FR14 or it's variants manufactured by other companies at a similar price point?

Thanks!
    Ship fast. Good service. I fit 108 brakes on 112 with very minor bend. Yes you get the heel risers.

They make crampon widths consistent with the brake widths so if you ever want a crampon on that 107, get the 108 if they need to be consistent. *I think*

They prob don't have anything to do with each other, but they do align in their width offerings.

I'd size up more for a crampon, I recently got the 91mm crampon for my Down LD90s and it's too small, currently debating whether or not its too big to use on my 82s or if I should try and trade

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post

Thanks!
    I can beat that price from the UK, not by a lot, probably $20, depending upon the exchange rate. FedEx shipping to SLC is 2/3 working days. Got the 14 in stock in 102mm and 108mm. Can get other widths in a few days.

The FR14 cones complete with the AL09 Freeride Spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I can beat that price from the UK, not by a lot, probably $20, depending upon the exchange rate. FedEx shipping to SLC is 2/3 working days. Got the 14 in stock in 102mm and 108mm. Can get other widths in a few days.

The FR14 cones complete with the AL09 Freeride Spacer.
    And I’d thoroughly recommend this guy above all others!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    And I’d thoroughly recommend this guy above all others!
    +1, buy from SpyderJon. Can't recommend him enough. even if his prices were higher, I would still purchase from him.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Spyderjon FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didn't want to crowd the thread (i'm newish) but already sent him a PM based on prior posts itt

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I have a set to dispose of- not willing to ship to USA. What’s ur location
    I'm in the US (Oregon), so I'll keep looking around...

Browsing the ATK catalogue shows three different freeride spacers. One is the split one for the FR14 etc, and then two others that are more like low-friction pad that doesn't move under the heel.

Has anyone either a) mounted the sliding design on a lighter binding e.g. crest, or b) any experience of the pad style spacer on a similar binding? Do they have to be mounted prior to the baseplate or after? Worth the effort or not?

First post!

Official ATK Binding Thread

Quote Originally Posted by w1ntermut3 View Post
    Browsing the ATK catalogue shows three different freeride spacers. One is the split one for the FR14 etc, and then two others that are more like low-friction pad that doesn't move under the heel.

Has anyone either a) mounted the sliding design on a lighter binding e.g. crest, or b) any experience of the pad style spacer on a similar binding? Do they have to be mounted prior to the baseplate or after? Worth the effort or not?

First post!
    The AL05 and AL07 are similar the difference being that the AL05 has a lower minimum height setting.

I haven’t mounted either but own both. I’ve gone the FR14 route with the integrated spacer.

I can’t see how you would mount the other two spacers nicely with brakes on the bindings. Brake less you would mount up the bindings then mount the space. There is only 1 screw on the space so you have to get it right up against the baseplate to hold it straight.

I feel the extra power in the heel on the FR14 with the space.

Quote Originally Posted by nkimmes View Post
    I'm in the US (Oregon), so I'll keep looking around...
    Check my pics in the "300g touring binding" thread. U don’t need the atk spacer. Pretty easy and straight forward to make your own.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 01-27-2021 at 11:20 AM.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I read the thread, sorry if I missed an answer to this...
    For those that have time on braked ATK models and Shift, can you please share thoughts on downhill performance and release characteristics related to reducing chance of injury. I get the alpine heel vs pinned heel differences. Deciding whether I would put ATK or Shift on a 70/30 resort/tour soft snow setup (example: DW). I'm pretty light at 150ish lbs, ok skier but not getting any younger, ski fairly conservative. Run alpine clamps around 9 DIN. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    I read the thread, sorry if I missed an answer to this...
    For those that have time on braked ATK models and Shift, can you please share thoughts on downhill performance and release characteristics related to reducing chance of injury. I get the alpine heel vs pinned heel differences. Deciding whether I would put ATK or Shift on a 70/30 resort/tour soft snow setup (example: DW). I'm pretty light at 150ish lbs, ok skier but not getting any younger, ski fairly conservative. Run alpine clamps around 9 DIN. thanks.
    as much as i hate to say this (and believe me, i do) - shifts, man. shifts are way safer than any tech binding, atk or otherwise (the exception being vipecs and tectons), do not have lateral release at the toe. this is a big deal, hard to overstate. get shifts.

and believe me, i hate shifts and love atks.

All ATK bindings are designed primarily for uphill performance. If you're spending 70% of your time, or really any significant time inbounds ATK bindings are not for you. Check out the recent posts in the Salomon MTN binding thread for more discussion on this

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thanks tgapp and Benneke10 - you made my life easier. I will stick with the Shifts I have been saving for this build. #FirstWorldProblems