Page 34 of 93 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    I got out on my Moment Voyagers today for the first time. Folks aren't lying about those freeride spacers. Wow! Compared to a MTN binding this thing felt reallllll good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Update: apparently ATK had a small batch of weak springs and Hagan is getting me a new pair
    Hm, I may reach out. I've had the same issue.

Update: apparently ATK had a small batch of weak springs and Hagan is getting me a new pair
    I've noticed the same. Did they advise against skiing them?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I got out on my Moment Voyagers today for the first time. Folks aren't lying about those freeride spacers. Wow! Compared to a MTN binding this thing felt reallllll good.
    I've got 3 days on mine and am sold. It's a great touring binding. I took a tecton off and put these on instead since I was only touring. I highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by atree View Post
    I've noticed the same. Did they advise against skiing them?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Didn't say. I took them to Skimo Co and they said they didn't think they would be dangerous to ski but couldn't be sure

I have only skied them in good snow, so they haven't really been tested. I did lose an afd plate last time they were out and am waiting for a replacement. They've popped off on kick turns a bunch of times. For all the hype I have had more annoyances from these than from comforts, radicals, onyx, ions and zeds combined.

I have only skied them in good snow, so they haven't really been tested. I did lose an afd plate last time they were out and am waiting for a replacement. They've popped off on kick turns a bunch of times. For all the hype I have had more annoyances from these than from comforts, radicals, onyx, ions and zeds combined.
    Were the toes fully locked when they came off in kick turns?

And the brakes are total garbage I'm surprised people here even bother with them

Were the toes fully locked when they came off in kick turns?

And the brakes are total garbage I'm surprised people here even bother with them
    I'm probably going to ditch my brakes, for now - they're fine I guess.

I've wondered if my boot inserts and the atk pins are somehow a bad combo. Never had an issue with locked toes popping off with lots of other tech bindings over the years. Maybe I got a unique pair of lemons, but I'll be interested to hear if more folks have issues once the hype-chamber dies down.
    Last edited by atree; 02-26-2021 at 03:27 PM.

atree, if your toes are coming out fully locked that is pretty concerning. My girlfriend is a new ski tourer and I encouraged her to buy Crests, and her toes have been popping out on climbs all the time. I assumed its because she has been forgetting to lock her toes but maybe this is a real issue. She is using Scarpa Gea boots, what are you using?

atree, if your toes are coming out fully locked that is pretty concerning. My girlfriend is a new ski tourer and I encouraged her to buy Crests, and her toes have been popping out on climbs all the time. I assumed its because she has been forgetting to lock her toes but maybe this is a real issue. She is using Scarpa Gea boots, what are you using?
    Anecdote (I'm not sure if we're talking about Crests or some other model) ...

So I read about the UHV (uphill hardness variator), and wrongly thought that my Helio 200 (Haute Route) binders had this feature. My skis popped off twice on their first tour. I figured I was being a JONG and had ice in my toe sockets.

When I got home and checked 'em, I realized that these toe pieces don't have the UHV. They behave like normal touring toes and you have to pull up two clicks to lock them out (not one, which I did on that tour).

This was a result of my misunderstanding of the UHV concept. I assumed that one click up from downhill was light hold and two clicks was a stronger hold ... WRONG!

UHV is a completely different yet simple system. I realize this when I picked up a pair of RT 10s.

At the base of a UHV toe piece, is an irregularly shaped hex nut which acts as a cam stop for the touring lever. As you turn the nut to different positions, it changes the point at which the touring stop engages, and therefore alters the locking force.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Yes, I was initially suspect that my GF was only pulling her Crest toe lever part way and that was why she was popping out. This elasticity spring issue has kind of ruined my opinion of ATK at this point and after reading atree's account I am now suspect of their safety/quality

scarpa uses dynafit fittings so they are only zee best

From what I know about tech toes either they are locked or they arent

and you want them locked for the up

there isnt some release value depending on how many clicks you click
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    scarpa uses dynafit fittings so they are only zee best

From what I know about tech toes either they are locked or they arent

and you want them locked for the up

there isnt some release value depending on how many clicks you click
    On that day when I was at my JONG-most best, I did only one click which is ski mode. A second click gets you into the one and only locked mode.

Their UHV actually allows you to adjust the clamping pressure in that single locked position, in order to compensate for toe fitting wear. It's not on all of their toe pieces, and it's still a single click.
    Yes, I was initially suspect that my GF was only pulling her Crest toe lever part way and that was why she was popping out. This elasticity spring issue has kind of ruined my opinion of ATK at this point and after reading atree's account I am now suspect of their safety/quality
    You need to send them to me for proper disposal ;-)

The interwebz is a wonderful place - from massive enthusiasm to massive hysteria.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

How did the plate remove itself? I have a hard time seeing this happen without plastic breaking.

On the underside of the plastic piece there's a tiny torx screw. My guess is it just came loose. Hagan dude said it is not the first one he has replaced.

On the underside of the plastic piece there's a tiny torx screw. My guess is it just came loose. Hagan dude said it is not the first one he has replaced.
    I had one of mine on my FR 14's come off, assumes it was because the brake was removed and snow could get in there. I actually bought a pair of the Older freeraider 14's this year for my biggest ski and think that it is a way nice design and very similar weight once brakes are removed!.

Sorry, man. I had to ski too much powder before getting back to this. Snow did build up there, but the same snow would probably build up between the free ride posts, and it wasn't ever a problem. This is what they would look like if I did put them on. There is a tiny screw to hold them to the binding, it appears the gap there at the front would remain.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    Sorry, man. I had to ski too much powder before getting back to this. Snow did build up there, but the same snow would probably build up between the free ride posts, and it wasn't ever a problem. This is what they would look like if I did put them on. There is a tiny screw to hold them to the binding, it appears the gap there at the front would remain.
    Thanks for the pics, check out the pics on the Front 12 which I think has that same piece: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...en/front-12-4/. I don't think there should be a gap like that.

Anyways as you noted...seems pretty useless to prevent snow from packing anywhere, but it's also only $15 but probably gives a cleaner look overall.

Did you adjust the spacer to the correct height for your boot like the instructions say? Doing so requires knowing about and using this torx screw...

WTB a pair of ski crampon holders for my Trofeos. Anyone have?

cb - I think you're talking about something else. The screws on the underside of the plastic stomp/afd piece just attach it to the brake wire. There's no adjustment.

cb - I think you're talking about something else. The screws on the underside of the plastic stomp/afd piece just attach it to the brake wire. There's no adjustment.
    I think CaliBrit is talking about the freeride spacer AFD (since it also is sliding) has to be adjusted to the specific boot. Atree - I think you're talking about the AFD on the brakes which I guess has a screw underneath that works out.

I will say the fact that the freeride spacer AFD screws are not machine screws concerns me about the longevity of the spacer. Eventually I could see those stripping out if you're switching boots often.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I think CaliBrit is talking about the freeride spacer AFD (since it also is sliding) has to be adjusted to the specific boot. Atree - I think you're talking about the AFD on the brakes which I guess has a screw underneath that works out.

I will say the fact that the freeride spacer AFD screws are not machine screws concerns me about the longevity of the spacer. Eventually I could see those stripping out if you're switching boots often.
    Yep that’s what I’m cracking on about. Sorry if that was not relevant!

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    WTB a pair of ski crampon holders for my Trofeos. Anyone have?
    I have an extra pair that I can sell.
    Brand new, taken off a pair of BD Helio 180 that I mounted for someone on race skis.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series