Page 30 of 93 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Yup, definitely Tecton, CAST, or Shift (in this order, for me) for 70/30. As far as the Duke PT, I'd wait for the second year's production before it entered the conversation.

...Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-27-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    The AL05 and AL07 are similar the difference being that the AL05 has a lower minimum height setting.

I haven’t mounted either but own both. I’ve gone the FR14 route with the integrated spacer.

I can’t see how you would mount the other two spacers nicely with brakes on the bindings. Brake less you would mount up the bindings then mount the space. There is only 1 screw on the space so you have to get it right up against the baseplate to hold it straight.

I feel the extra power in the heel on the FR14 with the space.
    Do you think it would be possible to mount the FR freeride spacer on the lighter ATK's with brakes? Stupidly it looks like it just slides under the heel screws.

Quote Originally Posted by w1ntermut3 View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to mount the FR freeride spacer on the lighter ATK's with brakes? Stupidly it looks like it just slides under the heel screws.
    As stated by CaliBrit, the AL05/7 Freeride Spacers are essentially the same and can be fitted to any tech binding providing there's the boot to ski gap is sufficient to install it. The AL05/7 are screwed directly to the ski. Some have even been thinning them down to fit when there's insufficient room: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...sories/al05-2/

The AL09 Freeride Spacer is a different version that has lateral pressed metal brackets the ends of which hook around the two front heel mounting locations and the brackets slot in to recesses in the underside of the heel base plate. Therefore the AL09 can only be used with binding models designed to accept it, namely the Freeraider 14, the C-Raider 12 and the Raider 12. The AL09 is included when the FR14 is purchased and it's an optional extra with the C-R12 and the R12. https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...ide-spacer-en/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6433.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	360357
    I’ve had good luck with grinding them down and screwing directly to the ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6433.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	360357
    I’ve had good luck with grinding them down and screwing directly to the ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Nice set-up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    As stated by CaliBrit, the AL05/7 Freeride Spacers are essentially the same and can be fitted to any tech binding providing there's the boot to ski gap is sufficient to install it. The AL05/7 are screwed directly to the ski. Some have even been thinning them down to fit when there's insufficient room: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...sories/al05-2/

The AL09 Freeride Spacer is a different version that has lateral pressed metal brackets the ends of which hook around the two front heel mounting locations and the brackets slot in to recesses in the underside of the heel base plate. Therefore the AL09 can only be used with binding models designed to accept it, namely the Freeraider 14, the C-Raider 12 and the Raider 12. The AL09 is included when the FR14 is purchased and it's an optional extra with the C-R12 and the R12. https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...ide-spacer-en/
    Happy with that. The AL09 hooks around the front two heel screws.

If you download the mounting templates from the atk website, the Crest 10 and the Raider 12 have the front screws of the heel plate in he same place. All that is different is the rear two screws of both plates (which are narrower on the Crest).

This should imply that you could improve the 'feel' of your cheaper crest binding with an AL09 freeride spacer for 29 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by w1ntermut3 View Post
    Happy with that. The AL09 hooks around the front two heel screws.

If you download the mounting templates from the atk website, the Crest 10 and the Raider 12 have the front screws of the heel plate in he same place. All that is different is the rear two screws of both plates (which are narrower on the Crest).

This should imply that you could improve the 'feel' of your cheaper crest binding with an AL09 freeride spacer for 29 grams.
    I had a look at some crests before I sold them.

I think, THINK, if you are prepared to do some fine modification work you MAY be able to make it happen. Voiding all warranties.

The crest base plate does not have the reliefs in it to accept the AL09 mounting piece. If you mount the FR14 without the spacer you need to include a different little plastic spacer to fill the voids.

So long way of saying out of the box it doesn’t work.

Just buy a FR14 / R12 and save money elsewhere on skis, skins, whatever, IMO not worth the hassle. Or just ski the Crest as is ...

w1ntermut3, if the AL09 Freeride Spacer fitted the Crest I would have said so

So I just bought some skis with holes drilled for an ATK R12 binding. Now I'm on the fence about what to get (since they all match the mount pattern) and looking for feedback:

1. ATK R12. I like the orange (not gonna lie) and going from 5-12 is better than 8-14 for me since I run right at 8. 5-12 seems more versatile if I ever want to back off. The downside is I'd probably want to shim this (vs. Moment Voyager) and I'd probably have to shell out for the AL09 spacer which means it would be more expensive than the Moment Voyager. Also, this is lighter than the 14 by about 30 grams I believe.

2. Moment Voyager. This is the obvious choice. Already "shimmed" plus it's coming from Moment so good US customer service support and I like Moment. Biggest qualm is that I'd prefer 5-12 release to 8-14. Maybe I shouldn't over think it? These will hold better resale value I imagine too in case I end up selling skis (doesn't that always happen?)

3. ATK Front 12. Ok here's where it gets interesting. This binding looks cool with automatic brakes. Redesigned from the old Raider 2.0. I've heard people have icing issues with the rear brakes on the new R12 so I thought this could be cool. Anyone have time on these? They're not compatible with the freeride spacer I don't think though.

4. ATK C-Raider 12. Seems like the only reason to get this is to save another 30g over the R12? I'm probably not worried about it...

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    So I just bought some skis with holes drilled for an ATK R12 binding. Now I'm on the fence about what to get (since they all match the mount pattern) and looking for feedback:

1. ATK R12. I like the orange (not gonna lie) and going from 5-12 is better than 8-14 for me since I run right at 8. 5-12 seems more versatile if I ever want to back off. The downside is I'd probably want to shim this (vs. Moment Voyager) and I'd probably have to shell out for the AL09 spacer which means it would be more expensive than the Moment Voyager. Also, this is lighter than the 14 by about 30 grams I believe.

2. Moment Voyager. This is the obvious choice. Already "shimmed" plus it's coming from Moment so good US customer service support and I like Moment. Biggest qualm is that I'd prefer 5-12 release to 8-14. Maybe I shouldn't over think it? These will hold better resale value I imagine too in case I end up selling skis (doesn't that always happen?)

3. ATK Front 12. Ok here's where it gets interesting. This binding looks cool with automatic brakes. Redesigned from the old Raider 2.0. I've heard people have icing issues with the rear brakes on the new R12 so I thought this could be cool. Anyone have time on these? They're not compatible with the freeride spacer I don't think though.

4. ATK C-Raider 12. Seems like the only reason to get this is to save another 30g over the R12? I'm probably not worried about it...
    Seems like if you just bite the bullet on the moments and stick them at 8 you get everything you want and can get shredding. If I wanted a flatter ATK it’s absolutely the route I would go for a true integrated package and US support.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Seems like if you just bite the bullet on the moments and stick them at 8 you get everything you want and can get shredding. If I wanted a flatter ATK it’s absolutely the route I would go for a true integrated package and US support.
    You’re right, I’m totally overthinking it. Damn it’s a lot of cash tho!

You’re right, I’m totally overthinking it. Damn it’s a lot of cash tho!
    Yep, trading cash for hassle factor!

If it’s me I’m getting the Front 12. I have the old front brake version, so I’m biased.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    If it’s me I’m getting the Front 12. I have the old front brake version, so I’m biased.
    I'm sure this has been discussed, but what makes the front brake any better than the rear brake?

The rear brake can be removed - can the new Front 12?

New for 21/22 - ATK Freeraider 16 (9-16 din)

I'm sure this has been discussed, but what makes the front brake any better than the rear brake?

The rear brake can be removed - can the new Front 12?
    I've only used the rear brake version but I would prefer a front auto brake. It is annoying to have to engage the brake when transitioning with skis on, I'm often too lazy to engage it before descending. An auto brake would be an upgrade for me

New for 21/22 - ATK Freeraider 16 (9-16 din)
    Have you seen any recurring problems/defects with the Freeraider 14s yet?

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    Nope. I was expecting to see a few busted Freeride Spacers but not seen/heard of any.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    See other ATK thread for previous year toe piece pivot pin coming out. Seems like they have rectified it.

Nope. I was expecting to see a few busted Freeride Spacers but not seen/heard of any.
    I broke a freeride spacer but it was completely my fault. I had the brake unlocked and the pins facing backwards. I think a chunk of ice was stuck under the brake and when I stepped down it broke one wing of the spacer. Mounted with inserts so I just removed the spacer and haven't bothered to replace it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I've only used the rear brake version but I would prefer a front auto brake. It is annoying to have to engage the brake when transitioning with skis on, I'm often too lazy to engage it before descending. An auto brake would be an upgrade for me
    This.
    Especially when I bought mine, the alternative for a tech fitting binding W/ a brake was the Dynafit rotating rear brake thing that basically everybody I skied with said sucks. It never deployed when needed, so what was the point?
    Oh yeah, to drag extra weight uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This.
    Especially when I bought mine, the alternative for a tech fitting binding W/ a brake was the Dynafit rotating rear brake thing that basically everybody I skied with said sucks. It never deployed when needed, so what was the point?
    Oh yeah, to drag extra weight uphill.
    When compared with with a hokey solution like the Comfort/Vertical brakes (in fairness, it's an almost two decade old design), I like the separation of functions with the ATK brake, although yeah, having to engage the brake with skis in situ is an annoyance.

The best system from a convenience perspective is the Vipec/Tecton, but it's a different weight class of binder. I've never played with the toe brake version of the ATK to compare. This could be the ticket.

[edit]Am I correct that the front brake activates in tour mode? This could be useful - don't lock into touring mode when crossing a sketchy (avy) section, with no fear of losing a ski during a kick turn. Of course, fused leashes also work.[/edit]

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-01-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've never played with the toe brake version of the ATK to compare. This could be the ticket.
    Dude...smh

You guys are making me want to buy a Front 12 just to give some insight for everyone. I will say - I absolutely HATE the brake stowing mechanism on shifts. I can't imagine Raiders (et. al.) are as bad, but man automatic just takes the thinking out of it.

But front brakes? Am I that much of a weirdo. Resale value is 110% lower than a rear-brake.