Page 19 of 93 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I agree, that bringing the binder into the country is a good thing, and as I mentioned above, Luke is to be applauded for this.

I can however, get really grumpy when I read market bullshit (as if he reconciled Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity), when all he did was to say: "hey ATK, can ya increase the toe base plate height by 4mm?".

If Moment didn't have such a good reputation around here, market talk like the above would have me running in the opposite direction.

Maybe Luke is smarter than me (likely) and has his finger on the pulse of the intelligence of the average American consumer.

He probably does ;-)

... Thom

"reconciled Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity"... are you sure you're not getting our marketing confused with DPS?

All jokes aside, most everything we wrote about in our "marketing bullshit" was about the FR14 - a binding most folks in the USA have no idea exists. We never said we invented the binding. We state in the first sentence that ATK makes it.

Also, there was more to it than just asking them to throw a couple extra mm's of extra material under the toe. We needed to ensure the binding still skied and functioned properly. Additionally, the holes where the screws go through the toe piece has been modified to ensure proper screw penetration into the ski. Since screws do not come in 3.5mm increments this was important since we typically ski wide skis and wanted to ensure as much screw retention within the ski core as possible.

Regardless, I am sorry out marketing rubbed you the wrong way. I hate spin on products in every industry. That's why we are always trying to be as transparent as possible and communicate with our customers directly and honestly. It's why I am here on TGR and why we offer live chat services on our website.

I am happy you are on here calling me on our shit and I will continue to give real answers on why we made our design choices as skiers first and not just a bunch of marketing dorks trying to hustle some product another company would let us put our name on. If I wanted to do that we would have been pushing rebranded Tyrolia bindings years ago!

Can you get them in anodized red next year?

Thanks.

Purple would be hot too.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Can you get them in anodized red next year?

Thanks.

Purple would be hot too.
    Both of those colors would be fire. I guess it just depends what color jacket I get.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201019_195117.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	344135

why does that thing have 4 eyeballs and a penis?

Just to space u out

well, mission accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201019_195117.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	344135
    I'll take a pair if you're cutting some shims.

I'm looking into getting the Helio 200 from Black Diamond, which has an MSRP of 700. Interestingly, the Helio 200 LT has an MSRP of 550 and the only difference I notice between the two is the LT is missing the adjustment plate, which BD sells separately for $65. Am I correct in understanding that I can piece together a Helio 200 by purchasing the binding and adjustment plate separately? I guess I would need to find somewhere to source the proper length screws

FTR, as a prior EU exporter.......... getting anything into the states & onto the market is an accomplishment. There are so many places in the chain that things can go sideways. Props.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I'm looking into getting the Helio 200 from Black Diamond, which has an MSRP of 700. Interestingly, the Helio 200 LT has an MSRP of 550 and the only difference I notice between the two is the LT is missing the adjustment plate, which BD sells separately for $65. Am I correct in understanding that I can piece together a Helio 200 by purchasing the binding and adjustment plate separately? I guess I would need to find somewhere to source the proper length screws
    Yes from what BD says. I bought Helio 200 last year (and wanted the adjustment plate); wish I could've got the 200LT and saved some $$$ though. Helio 200 includes adjustment plate, crampon hook and leash. Has a slightly different toe piece. The MSRP for those three accessories + toe adds up to $150, but it's a question of what you need/want with the 200LT+individual accessories option.

Ah, didn't realize that the 200LT leaves out the crampon hook and leash, now it makes more sense. Thanks! Are you sure the toe pieces are different other than the crampon hook? Looks like they are both monolink 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Shimming to zero delta gives you an insane stack height. So 7.5mm is a great compromise.
    You have to look at all the variables. If zero was a better option we would have done that but I guess that’s just marketing speak! You totally caught me!
    Question... have the heel riser positions been modified in conjunction with the higher toe height?

The reason I personally try to avoid high delta bindings is that it's easy for me to shim but then my strides are all off... flat isn't flat anymore and the high riser is lower.

That's not an issue on bindings with a multiple heel riser positions so maybe the fact that yours has 5 is ok? A number of newer options have only 1 riser that's pretty low and if I need to shim that binding there's almost no chance it will work for my on the climb.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Question... have the heel riser positions been modified in conjunction with the higher toe height?

The reason I personally try to avoid high delta bindings is that it's easy for me to shim but then my strides are all off... flat isn't flat anymore and the high riser is lower.

That's not an issue on bindings with a multiple heel riser positions so maybe the fact that yours has 5 is ok? A number of newer options have only 1 riser that's pretty low and if I need to shim that binding there's almost no chance it will work for my on the climb.
    Good point. Another reason why we didn't go with a zero delta.

You definitely have lots of riser options with the Voyager and they are all useful.

That being said depending on your boot and how you configure the freeride spacer you may not be perfectly flat while not using a heel riser. This is the case with the Voyager XIV and FR14 utilizing the freeride spacer. That being said with some boot combos the taller toe on the Voyager with the freeride spacer will create a flatter scenario while not using using a riser.

I personally really dig that I wouldn’t have to shim the voyager. I appreciate being able to shim if needed and I do on my tectons...but not having to add weight or parts is cool.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I personally really dig that I wouldn’t have to shim the voyager. I appreciate being able to shim if needed and I do on my tectons...but not having to add weight or parts is cool.
    Luke adds the weight for you (Luke - notice smiley which follows) :-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Laser table not accessible this time, dang.

Instead used a flapper disk on a 4.5" angle grinder plus a deburring tool for the hand-made, uh, character. Lol

Not as polished as Jon's acrylic with the straight cuts, so those seeking risers for their euro-spec fr14 should buy them from him.

If I get access to the machines again soon, I can make a few sets but don't pester me plz.

Snow is falling in the mountains.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021_210032.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	344366

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Ah, didn't realize that the 200LT leaves out the crampon hook and leash, now it makes more sense. Thanks! Are you sure the toe pieces are different other than the crampon hook? Looks like they are both monolink 1.0
    According to SkiMo’s 200 LT page Questions :

“aside from the packaging and aesthetic differences, the LT uses a different toe piece. It is the cheaper toe found on the Helio 145 & 180 vs the lighter race toe found on the Helio 110 and 200. The heels are likewise machined a bit differently and the LT has jig support for a fixed mount (the 200 does not).”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Instead used a flapper disk on a 4.5" angle grinder plus a deburring tool for the hand-made, uh, character. Lol

Not as polished as Jon's acrylic with the straight cuts, so those seeking risers for their euro-spec fr14 should buy them from him.

If I get access to the machines again soon, I can make a few sets but don't pester me plz.

Snow is falling in the mountains.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021_210032.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	344366
    man that is some solid fucking work right there, looks great

only question i have is - did you go for the pre-seasoned cutting board or the new one?

Bought a new sheet of HDPE. Couldn't part with the cuttingboard

Impressive and pretty damn polished I'd say. With those tools I may succeed in making a rough oval. A rectangle would be within reach too.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Impressive and pretty damn polished I'd say. With those tools I may succeed in making a rough oval. A rectangle would be within reach too.
    A rounded home plate shape FTW ;-)
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    trying to figure out what Freeride spacer will work with BD Helio 180. Also is it possible to mount the freeride spacer to the adjustment plate?
    I checked the spacing today on mine (boots are maestrales). Looks like 10 mm between plate and boot heel, but 14-ish mm between ski and boot heel depending on where it goes. The adjustment range for the spacer is supposed to be 14-20 mm so I'll have to mount it in the ski.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

[QUOTE=fleaches;6096111]This is what I'm planning to try, I'll report back in a couple of weeks. You'd need AL05 universal spacer, and check with your specific boots if the gap falls in the adjustment range of the spacer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app[/QUOTE

Conclusion:

No you can not mount on the plate.....

Furthermore:

the Universal freeride spacer (05) does not work with the Helio 180 and Hoji Freetour as it is supposed to, (as per another thread). At its absolute lowest setting there is not any gap between the height of the boot and spacer so you can't lock the heel into the binding....

I will need to mod something up....