Page 7 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post
    Mounted my FR14's last week and got about 5 mellow tours in so far (still allowed here in Sweden). Loving how they perform on the up coming from Ions and Shifts most recently. The all metal toe-piece feels bomber and oozes of quality in my opinion.
    Unsure if the carbon infused plastic will help in reducing vibrations, dont think it will be a big noticable difference actually. I really like the fr14 and will probably get another pair next season if nothing happens with them during spring so highly recommended!
    Could you compare FR14 and Ion/Shift in downhill aspect?

How true to size are the stated brake widths for ATK bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    How true to size are the stated brake widths for ATK bindings?
    They are true.

These are 91mm brakes on Zero G95:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200521_084831.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	329194  

The R12 that Blister just reviewed -- is that new for 2020? I cant keep track

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    The R12 that Blister just reviewed -- is that new for 2020? I cant keep track
    R12 was 19/20. Same as FR14 with no freeride spacer and 12 din. I’d just buy the FR14.

For 20-21 there's another version of the Raider 12 available called the C-Raider 12. The C-Raider 12 is same Raider 12 binding from last season but the toe base material made from a carbon composite (same material as used on the Alpinist toe) to drop the weight by 35g and reduce the weight of a single toe/heel/brake to just 305g. The C-Raider heel also accepts the optional Freeride Spacer. And, in addition to being lighter, the C-Raider is 11% cheaper than the Raider 12.

I know a couple of guys (both big'ish & aggressive) who've had a lot of mileage on pre-production C-Raiders and they've had no issues with durability of the toe base. The C-Raider 12 will kill off the Raider 12 due to it being lighter/cheaper.

So if you want a lower minimum din than 8 or don't need a very high din then the C-Raider c/w Freeride Spacer is both 10% lighter and cheaper than the FR14.

The C-Raider 12 will kill off the Raider 12 due to it being lighter/cheaper.
    I'd still buy the R12 because it's prettier and doesn't have the exposed springs at the toe

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    I'd still buy the R12 because it's prettier and doesn't have the exposed springs at the toe
    Well you can't go wrong with the "look good at all costs" rule.

Do you know if the C-Raider 12 comes with the freeride spacer included as a bundle or it's extra ?
    And did they keep the system where you can set the toe release force when walking ?

Do you know if the C-Raider 12 comes with the freeride spacer included as a bundle or it's extra?......
    It's an extra. My weight/cost comparison above with the FR14 includes the freeride spacer with the C-Raider.

.......And did they keep the system where you can set the toe release force when walking?
    Nope.

Seems as if they reversed the names for 2020/21:

• Rear brake versions are C-Raider 12 and Freeraider 14.
    • Front brake version is now called the Front-12 (assume there's a Front-14 as well).

The concept of a brake being active in tour mode has its appeal (especially when doing kick turns).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-22-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    .......assume there's a Front-14 as well......
    Nope. The front brake'd 14 has gone.

Thom, I've email you a pdf of their 20/21 catalogue to your work email address.

I'll be stocking ATK for 20/21. If anyone wants their 20/21 catalogue just PM me your email address.

Official ATK Binding Thread

Skip to 4:20. Want.

Davide does great demos and explains the products well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

Yeah, that's pretty slick.

It's been rumored that Black Diamond is going to have one of the 300-ish gram bindings in their line for this coming season. Anybody know more? Which particular ATK model it'll be?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Nope. The front brake'd 14 has gone.

Thom, I've email you a pdf of their 20/21 catalogue to your work email address.

I'll be stocking ATK for 20/21. If anyone wants their 20/21 catalogue just PM me your email address.
    Thanks Jon. No loss for me (regarding 14 RV - I run at about 8).

I assume it's OK with me posting the catalog on my server and linking to to in the first post in this thread?

That C-Raider 12 is really tempting. It would give me an excuse to get another pair of skis ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

Yeah. Super slick.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ......I assume it's OK with me posting the catalog on my server and linking to to in the first post in this thread?
    No problem bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    No problem bud.
    Hi All,

I added the download link in the first post (for the 2020/21 catalog). It's downloadable from @Spyderjon's site.

Download the catalog from here: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/image...%20web%202.pdf, and buy from The Piste Office (@Spyderjon's site): https://www.thepisteoffice.com/

I'll try to figure out how to reference the new models in the spreadsheet in the first post without killing the historical changes (the re-assignment of the Raider Freeraider names to the heel brake version and renaming of the front toe version from Raider 12 to Front 12).

Here's my take after a quick look at the catalog:

2020/21 Model Year Notes:

• The Raider/Freeraider name now refers to the heel brake version of the line which now has 3 bindings:

Raider-12, C-Raider-12 (carbon base plate on toe), and Freeraider-14

• The old Raider 12 (front brake) has been renamed the "Front 12" and there is no longer a 14 RV version with a brake at the toe.
    • The Haute Route gets a new buddy in the speed touring category - "The Release 10" @240g (key features are elastic travel at the heel and some carbon composite)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-28-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Galibier Design

I find these bindings really appealing on multiple levels, but there's still something that seems wrong about putting your life in the hands of something designed and built by an Italian. What has that country ever produced that hasn't been delicate, finicky and unreliable?

Stick to the food, wine, shoes and cars that break down every 12 miles; leave the engineering and metallurgy to the Germans.

Apologies to any dagos I offended.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I find these bindings really appealing on multiple levels, but there's still something that seems wrong about putting your life in the hands of something designed and built by an Italian.

Stick to the food, wine and cars that break down every 12 miles; leave the engineering and metallurgy to the Germans.
    That'll be Marker then

That C - Raider 12 looks pretty sweet. Any idea how much they weigh without the brakes? Is it me or does the stack height of the toe piece look pretty high?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I find these bindings really appealing on multiple levels, but there's still something that seems wrong about putting your life in the hands of something designed and built by an Italian. What has that country ever produced that hasn't been delicate, finicky and unreliable?

Stick to the food, wine, shoes and cars that break down every 12 miles; leave the engineering and metallurgy to the Germans.

Apologies to any dagos I offended.
    Dude. WTF.

Add ATK bindings to your food wine and shoes list.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Official ATK Binding Thread

they’re not on the radar of many folks here but the Kreuzspitze’s are pretty great bindings too, if you need that german touch. ATKs have not disappointed for me though. the only binding Ive bought an extra pair of just to have.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    they’re not on the radar of many folks here but the Kreuzspitze’s are pretty great bindings too, if you need that german touch. ATKs have not disappointed for me though. the only binding Ive bought an extra pair of just to have.
    One of the guys at skimo told me that they had a few returns of the Kreuzspitze GT heel this year (the top plate). Hard to say if he was trying to steer me toward a higher $$$ Hagan or not. I suspect these Kreuzspitze incidents were outliers in a small sample size.

In any case, the machining of ATKs and Plums along with their choice of 7000-series Alu (aircraft grade) is confidence inspiring. Both companies develop incrementally and conservatively ... something that really appeals to me. I'd hazard a guess that Kreuzspitze falls into this category as well.

I love Fritschi too, although I suspect they took a bit of a wrong turn with the Xenic. Hopefully for them (and us), the toe piece lever issues are resolved.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-28-2020 at 03:30 PM.
    Galibier Design

Someone posted a link to a photo on the Moment Skis site of the "new" BD Helio 350 in the 300g binder thread (https://www.momentskis.com/products/...mond-helio-350).

The topic of toepieces arose. It appears as if they've specified either the Crest 10 or the RT 10 toepiece for this binder (monlink design), in combination with the Raider 12 heel (heel mounted brakes with 5 riser positions).

The website model names lag the 2020/21 catalog that @Spyderjon posted above in post #162. The website has the old model names, and C-Raider 12 is not listed.

ATK's back and forth naming is confusing to say the least, but the following is what the the 2020/21 catalog names the models. I'll update post #1 shortly with the revised names:

• Heel mounted brakes: C-Raider 12, Raider 12 & Freeraider 14
    • Toe mounted brakes: Front 12 (RV 14 version discontinued)

Anyhoo, the Raider 12 toe has a snow clearing toepiece instead of the monolink toe which is found in the Crest, RT, and several other models.

The picture in the Moment Skis link (above) shows a monolink toe (so it's not the Raider 12 toe), but doesn't reveal further detail, so we can't tell.

The key difference between the Crest 10 toe and the RT 10 toe is the RT 10's "Uphill Hardness Variator" feature (a complicated name for a simple device) an adjustable clamping force for the toe when in touring mode. The intent is to allow you to compensate for tech inserts that are wearing in.

I shot a photo of my RT 10 toe to show the adjustable cam which engages with the toe lever to lock into uphill mode. No ... it has zero effect on retention in downhill mode (I knew you'd ask ).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-03-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Galibier Design