Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Uhh idk if the heel plate screws are the same as the heel screws, but skimoco definitely sells them. Fwiw I would really avoid mounting without the plate... the extra weight is not worth the remount when you change boots. Also your mount needs to be absolutely perfect without the plate...

Thanks! Called skimo and they said screws should be the same. Gonna do a test mount using some plexiglass to see if I can get the paper template transferred absolutely perfect, otherwise I'll just stick with the plate. Agree that 40g is meaningless. If I'm totally honest, I just like the clean look!

Assuming it's the same mounting strategy as the Haute Route/Helio 200, the heel mounts to the plate with MACHINE screws that thread into small T-nuts in the mounting plate.

The mounting plate employs the same WOOD screws you'd mount the Trofeo/BD 145 directly to the ski with.

[edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Thanks! Called skimo and they said screws should be the same. Gonna do a test mount using some plexiglass to see if I can get the paper template transferred absolutely perfect, otherwise I'll just stick with the plate. Agree that 40g is meaningless. If I'm totally honest, I just like the clean look!
    When @auvgeek and I mounted a pair of his Speed Superlites, it took 4 or 5 test mounts to adjust our template to get the pin gap right. We were admittedly OCD about it.
    [/edit]

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-22-2020 at 04:53 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Just to confirm what has already been posted: the 145 and 180 are the same bindings. The only difference is that the 180 is a really great deal by bundling in some nice accessories (the leash is really slick -- I've been using it for something like half a decade with other bindings) including the adjustment plates and bolts/nuts.
    The screws for mounting the binding heel directly to the ski are exactly the same as the screws for mounting the adjustment plate to the ski. (When you order the adjustment plate a la carte, you therefore typically do not receive any additional mounting screws, only the bolts & nuts.)
    And remember, it's a time-honored tradition to mount any binding sans adjustment plates since the boots you currently have are the absolute best boots in the world that you're definitely going to use forever and ever ... until a couple years later you sheepishly remount that setup with an adjustment plate.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

^thanks!

Ended up mounting the BD 180 heel directly because I'm stubborn. I drilled some plexiglass over the paper template to make a jig and then did a test mount on a 2x4. Turned out great. I may go with my inserts strategy later (or just use that as a sales pitch to my wife for getting another touring ski). I did a quick tour this morning until a storm rolled in and cut short the corn cycle....didn't die.

First impressions: I really liked the ease of stepping into the toe and the riser over pins was plenty of height for me without being annoying on more flattish sections (definitely helpful to have lots of ROM). Kick turns were comically easy.

yeah those bindings are the absolute shit. I picked up another pair just because they were < $300 and now I have an excuse to pick up more skis

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah those bindings are the absolute shit. I picked up another pair just because they were < $300 and now I have an excuse to pick up more skis
    Glad I'm not the only one who did exactly that!

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Yeah don't have any skis to put them in but what a deal...

Any advice on whether to go up or down in RV for springs on these? Ski a "9" on pretty much everything so I'm in between springs, but I guess who knows how well these numbers correlate with real DIN.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

I’m on the 10, Id be at an 8 on alpine stuff but I reeeeeeally don’t like prerelease in the bc. I have not released from this one, or pretty much any 8+ “RV” race style binding. I’d always err on the side of more retention for this style binding but that’s personal preference I guess...

Interesting. That's 2 folks on the ten who normally ski below that. Anyone normally ski at something around 11 or 12 running the ten and not dying?

I shoulda grabbed some atk/bd while they were cheap, now back to 344

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I shoulda grabbed some atk/bd while they were cheap, now back to 344

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Still 284 on S&C

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

PSA the new Hagen Core 12 Pro which is the R12 is $100 off for pre order. Good price for full US support and warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    PSA the new Hagen Core 12 Pro which is the R12 is $100 off for pre order. Good price for full US support and warranty.
    Nice. Too bad they're sold out on the freeride spacer.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Interesting. That's 2 folks on the ten who normally ski below that. Anyone normally ski at something around 11 or 12 running the ten and not dying?
    I ski a 12 or 13 inbounds and usually 10 - 11 in the backcountry. I am on the crest 10 and loving it for my spring setup

BD website says the helio 180 has 3 riser heights but it looks like just a single "race style" flap over the pins. Presume it does flat with 1/4 turn rotation.
    The helio 200 seems to have the extra riser though.
    What am i missing on the 180?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    BD website says the helio 180 has 3 riser heights but it looks like just a single flap over the pins. Presume it does flat with 1/4 turn rotation.
    if you rotate the heel 180 degrees with the flap in “open” mode there is a sliiiiiightly higher riser. I haven’t used it, but it is technically there.

^ The add'l heel riser height from rotating the 145/180 model by 180 degrees (and then flipping the flap by 180 degrees in the other plane) is listed as 5mm, which matches up with my own measurements. Note that you should *not* do this on similarly designed race bindings -- like the 110 -- since although you will get a similar boost, won't last for long since you'll break the flap.
    (And remember to mount the binding correctly: the BD website has it mounted backwards, which means a 90-degree turn for the flat mode will result in the boot heel jamming up against the binding.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    BD website says the helio 180 has 3 riser heights but it looks like just a single "race style" flap over the pins. Presume it does flat with 1/4 turn rotation.
    The 145/180/200 have similar riser implementation.

Pins forward, you have race style - flap over pins.
    Rotate 180 degrees and you have flat plus a slightly higher riser (but by no means high).

I defer to Jonathan on details and gotchas on the race binding specific stuff.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Does/will Backwoods have them?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Does/will Backwoods have them?
    I actually don’t know if they carry ATK. I suggested them to Michael as a great shop to carry them. Along with the Perch. They won’t have this binding yet as it will be here in fall. Sounds like they are opening tomorrow for limited business.

I actually don’t know if they carry ATK. I suggested them to Michael as a great shop to carry them. Along with the Perch. They won’t have this binding yet as it will be here in fall. Sounds like they are opening tomorrow for limited business.
    I think they carried the ATK under the BD brand this season. Looking forward to the new addition.
    Good time to buy; good time to hold cash. Confusing.

I’m steep&cheaped on the BD Helio 180. Thx for all the info guys. Mounting these up on my early season rock skis....waiting to get my hands on some Atk FR 14 or BD equivalent for my main set up...

Just since folks have asked about the high heel riser / heel flap on the Helio 180 / Trofeo Plus and I had my skis out, I took some pics. These are the ATK branded ones. I own a pair of the BD branded ones, just haven’t mounted them yet. They are literally identical aside from the paint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3782.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	327157

Name:	IMG_3787.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	327159

Name:	IMG_3788.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	978.9 KB 
ID:	327160

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	966.7 KB 
ID:	327161

Name:	IMG_3786.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	327162

Name:	IMG_3784.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	327163

I’m realizing I should’ve taken a flat mode picture but you can use your imagination... the heel piece is sideways and the boot is flat

It's worth cross-posting this tip about the Helio 180s/Trofeo Plus from the BD Helio thread. It seems as if BD and Outdoor Gear Lab rotated the mount by 180 degrees. Use ATK's mount orientation and not BD's:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...76#post5862476

Originally Posted by hillmap Just picked up some trofeo pluses (helios 180s). Getting ready to mount them i noticed that the heal track/baseplate are shown in opposite directions on the BD site and and the ATK one.

It looks like the binding is designed with a slightly offset detent for the sideways position so if you mount it the atk way you get less heel binding in flat mode. And at least the outdoor gear lab review mounted it the BD way and complained about binding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Wow, good eye -- I never noticed that!

So playing around with a pair, yes, you're correct: mounted the way on the ATK website, the contours of the binding allow for more clearance of the boot heel in flat mode.

Whereas on the BD and Outdoor Gear Lab websites, the contours will jam into the boot heel more readily.
    (Or you can also increase the gap a bit to more like 5mm -- given the decent length of the heel pins, and the generally robust design, you can probably get away with it if you aren't stomping monster jumps, etc.)

For the pics on the BD and Outdoor Gear Lab websites, the plate needs to rotated 180 degrees, and then the binding needs to be spun 180 degrees on its pedestal.
    (Or for an already mounted setup, unbold the binding from the plate, rebolt the binding at 180 degrees to its original position, then spin the binding 180 degrees on its pedestal.)

And amusing as always to see the Outgear Gear Lab ratings for weight (which already has its own inherently quantified rating in the form of a standardized systems of weights and measures), downhill performance (where if anything it's more secure than any of the other relatively traditional heel pin bindings), ease of use (what is reflected in the missing three points?), and touring performance (6 out of 10, really?).
    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-02-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    Galibier Design