Page 53 of 93 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2311
    FYI, sorry if already posted, just asked ATK about the release value of the U of the Kuluar and compatibility with the other ones that their selling :

ATK Kuluar 9 is sold with the “U” spring of 6 and lateral release values from 4 up to 9.

ATK Kuluar 12 is sold with the “U” spring of 10 and lateral release values from 6 up to 12.

Yes, these “U” spring is the same of ATK Trofeo and you can buy them in 4 different values. (4, 6, 8, 10).

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    it was asking for info on an Otown arson
    im gonna pass em on to westcoaster
    i also have a 200mm
    but need a 300mm
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    it was asking for info on an Otown arson
    im gonna pass em on to westcoaster
    i also have a 200mm
    but need a 300mm
    happy to grab em from ya!

How many people in this thread are skiing the ATK bindings without heel elasticity (Kuluar, Trofeo, etc) hard, and how does that compare with the Raider bindings? I have a pair of Backland 95s mounted with FR14s, and an unmounted pair of Backland 107s.

Thinking maybe I'll remount the FR14s onto the 107s and pick a lighter binding for the 95s. I definitely want something burly on the big skis, but maybe a trofeo or a kuluar is enough for the skinnier planks.

But I'm wondering how the lighter bindings would hold up to hard skiing on skinnier skis...

Anybody got much A-B experience? Or any concerns about a fixed heel turret?

First of all the Kuluar has heel elasticity. To answer your question I notice the heel elasticity or lack thereof on softer skis but rarely on stiffer skis

Hi!

I need some advice

I’m building a super lightweight setup - currently on BC Corvus Freebird with FR14 and Camox Freebird with R12. Both bindings are set to 11 (although I’m assuming that might be a tad too much).

I ski relatively fast, but never huck cliffs or do jumps. I’m 6ft1 and around 200lbs. Online calculators suggest anything between 9 and 10.

The lightweight setup is supposed to allow me for longers tours, but also, some steep skiing in and around Chamonix. For a lot of the steep descents, I will lock the front anyway, but would prefer not to have to do it for all my runs. The ski will be a 184cm Orb Freebird (90mm wide).

I’m thinking of getting the Haute Route 10 (bc of the heel release), but also looking at Trofeo Plus *or* the Kuluar 12 LT. Almost convinced about Haute route but just wondering about the max din release value of 10. Will that be enough for that purpose? Most of crazy skiers around here ski on Dynafits 10s and Trofeos

I had a crash and had to come back early so won’t be able to test a release value of 10 on my existing skis this year and have a good discount on ATK bindings so wanted to stock up while they run out.

Thanks!

If you're worried 10 being enough retention the Kuluar 12 would probably be the best choice. It weighs ~20g more than the Haute Route and ~40g more than the Trofeo Plus which is pretty negligible, and you gain elastic travel in the heel which in theory should provide more consistent release. The only downside is a steeper ramp angle, you can shim the toes if that is an issue but would add a few more grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    If you're worried 10 being enough retention the Kuluar 12 would probably be the best choice. It weighs ~20g more than the Haute Route and ~40g more than the Trofeo Plus which is pretty negligible, and you gain elastic travel in the heel which in theory should provide more consistent release. The only downside is a steeper ramp angle, you can shim the toes if that is an issue but would add a few more grams.
    So essentially my question was also, should I be worried about 10?

I would imagine the crazy skiers you know who ski Dynafit Radicals and Trofeos also lock their toes regularly. At your size you would probably feel less inclined to lock out with the Kuluar 12 than a Trofeo.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    So essentially my question was also, should I be worried about 10?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    No.
    + on lines where I really don’t want to release, I do lock them anyway. And this ski will either be that or really long spring missions (and not a lot of crazy chargin afterwards)

Sorry to just be repeating myself, but I’m trying to double check my thinking (and I’ve seen your previous posts on why companies design bindings with >9 DIN).

Given my weight and height - that makes sense to you still?

Would you go for Haute Route or the Trofeo Plus for those applications? 20grams doesn’t matter, but the 100 bucks could

Thanks for taking the time!

I don't see the point of the Haute Route unless you're sharing the bindings with someone else.
    I'd say go Trofeo if you don't want stoppers, go Kuluar if you want them.
    Note that the Kuluar 12 come with a 10 U fork and ATK doesnt make 12 U forks. So for the vertical release you'll be at 10 anyway.
    Reg the elasticity of the Kuluar, that's a plus indeed.

I'm planning to sell my Mantra V-Werks / R12 and replace it with a TX103 that I already bought.
    Debating between keeping the R12 or going Trofeo / Kuluar. I'm laning towards the Trofeo.

Actually I'm also considering a ZX108 (2050g / ski in a 184) with the Trofeo, you know for color matching. Well nope, it's just to push the concept, heavy skis / light bindings

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    I don't see the point of the Haute Route unless you're sharing the bindings with someone else.
    I'd say go Trofeo if you don't want stoppers, go Kuluar if you want them.
    Note that the Kuluar 12 come with a 10 U fork and ATK doesnt make 12 U forks. So for the vertical release you'll be at 10 anyway.
    Reg the elasticity of the Kuluar, that's a plus indeed.

I'm planning to sell my Mantra V-Werks / R12 and replace it with a TX103 that I already bought.
    Debating between keeping the R12 or going Trofeo / Kuluar. I'm laning towards the Trofeo.

Actually I'm also considering a ZX108 (2050g / ski in a 184) with the Trofeo, you know for color matching. Well nope, it's just to push the concept, heavy skis / light bindings
    would you mind sharing your height/weight / skiing style? im leaning toward the trofeo PLUS. i might use a different boot on them occasionally - ZGTP and the new peak carbon from tecnica hopefully..

I charge quite a bit, big turns, but I don't jump cliffs. I'm 68kg / 179cm and I almost never prerelease, I set my DIN at 8 and it's enough. So people prereleasing much might have a different experience. I have 3 pairs of R12 at the moment, never skied something lighter like the Trofeo yet. I ski quite steep stuff in Nendaz/Verbier.

Ajdustment is easier with the Kuluar rather than on the Trofeo, if you wanna swith boots often, just one screw to turn.

If you're switching boots regularly that adds another point towards the Kuluar. It is way easier to adjust the heel piece on them, its just a single screw. Adjusting the heel pieces on the Trofeo/Haute Route is a frustrating process dealing with 4 torx bolts on each side, occasionally stripping screws and breaking bits. I have a stash of extra screws and bits just because I have a lot of these bindings but if I were starting over the Kuluar would be pretty appealing.

If you're switching boots regularly that adds another point towards the Kuluar. It is way easier to adjust the heel piece on them, its just a single screw. Adjusting the heel pieces on the Trofeo/Haute Route is a frustrating process dealing with 4 torx bolts on each side, occasionally stripping screws and breaking bits. I have a stash of extra screws and bits just because I have a lot of these bindings but if I were starting over the Kuluar would be pretty appealing.
    Thats a fair point! I think i wont do that often, though. I am assuming it will be once or twice per season (really depending on how the Zero G Peak Carbon will ski..). I also have a Camox Freebird 188 with an R12 that I sometimes use for steepz

So the price of the kuluar is lower essentially only because of the weight? + the heel is higher than trofeo plus but it has elasticity?

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Because the Haute route has the massive adjustment range or needing the vertical release adjustment?
    I like having some adjustment range so I am not stuck with a single boot that works on the mount. And personally I don't care for u-spring bindings, so the Haute route checks the boxes for me.

Because of the release adjustments both vertical and lateral of the Haute Route.
    Boot adjustment system / range is the same between Trofeo and HR, same plate.

Yeah, makes sense. Costs 20grams/ski for something that shouldn't need to be adjusted.

These are a pretty good deal for anyone looking for something similar to a crest 10.
    https://www.oliunid.com/kastle-tour-...alpinismo.html
    Kastle rebranded ATK Rent 10? $280

I bought a pair a couple months ago and have also ordered a fair bit of other stuff from them. No problems with the vendor or binding.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    So the price of the kuluar is lower essentially only because of the weight? + the heel is higher than trofeo plus but it has elasticity?
    I think the vertically adjustable heel unit on the Haute Route is more expensive to make than a fixed U spring. What I don't get is why the Crest is more expensive than the Haute Route since it is basically a Haute Route on a spring-loaded track, with a slightly less refined toe and the heel risers aren't magnetic. Maybe I just answered my own question.

What I don't get is why the Crest is more expensive than the Haute Route since it is basically a Haute Route on a spring-loaded track, with a slightly less refined toe and the heel risers aren't magnetic. Maybe I just answered my own question.
    Here in Europe the RRP of the Haute Route seems to be consistently about 20% higher than the Crest. Don't they have the same toe?
    Guess you are paying mostly for the magnetic risers.

ATK pricing structure isnt super logical anyway.

Haute route has a more refined toe. It's the toe from the RT series that shaves 20g off the crest. The haute is basically the RT with a plate adjustment vs spring loaded track.

The RT toe has the release/tension adjustment thingy which goes from 1 to 7 or something like that and isn’t on the HR or any other ATK binding so it’s not the same toe.
    I thought the weight savings were in the heel, talking about the RT vs Crest weight ?

Edit / After a 2nd look you're right, the Trofeo and the Crest toe look similar and slightly different than the RT10 and Haute route toe, which look similar except the one from the RT has the adjustment screw.

Too bad they don't make the Trofeo with the lighter toe from the HR.
    If you want it you have to take the SL World Cup which has a fixed value of 8 for lateral and 9 for vertical.

Edit 2 / @ Climbers, do you think the Trofeo/Crest toe is stronger than the RT/HR toe ? Since it's a bit heavier.
    Last edited by stuntmanbo; 04-12-2022 at 06:40 AM.