Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ^ not sure on the math there

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ^ not sure on the math there
    Yep, he's at 4180 per foot on the Hoji/shift/Hawx setup.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Yep, he's at 4180 per foot on the Hoji/shift/Hawx setup.
    lol yeah I was gonna say... my lightest most weight-weenie setup is still heavier/foot than 2090g...

190 Q Labs and Guardians was a bad idea. I don't know how heavy, but enough to make me not wanna go uphill with them ever. At least the Guardians ski well. Oh, and the length sucks for kick turns.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Pow touring + deep days inbounds/sidecountry:
    Head Kore 117: 2000g
    ATK FR14: 360g
    MTN Lab: 1587g
    Glidelite Mix: 348g
    = 4295g/foot

50/50:
    BC Corvus: 2070g
    Shift: 865g
    Acension: 375g
    = 4897g/foot

Going uphill fast/walking for a long time:
    MTN 95: 1543g
    MTN binding: 297g
    Pomoca S Glide: 300g
    = 3727g/foot
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 03-27-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the thing to consider with super light skins and chi chi tip treatments IS you might want something that will fit >one setup,

that you are gona walk on these things sometimes on rocks, trees, at least thru pine needles and dog hair so by definition its got to take a shit kicking so when is light ... too light?

as for glue less skins what are you gona do when non glue skins quit sticking ?

IME the dynafit pomoca's strike an ok balance
    Switching skins between very similar sized skis I can understand, but who uses a 105 wide skin on 115+ ski for touring? Weird.

Keep your dog haired pine needles away from my skins. Light is too light when they don’t last a couple of years. I refuse to re-glue and deal with that shitshow. Rather buy/try something new.

If they don’t stick, like catastrophic failure, use the voile straps that you should have in your pack anyways. Last such failure was with g3 skins on a -28*C day, not a fun day. In general i with these “glueless” colltex skins i have become super anal about keeping ski base and skin dry when transitioning. Is it worth the trade off? Not sure yet.

Will try Pomocas in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skins on the cusp of different sizes and different lengths in a quiver, and keep your own fucking shit off your own fucking skins you fucking arrogant asshole
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Disclosure: tele skier here, quiver of three. I have never liked super light skis either but I'm learning to appreciate less weight on my feet the older I get (now 63). The 107s are crazy light to me and are really for powder only. I do like light, tech toe bindings. And I concocted a Frankenboot out of TX Pro shell and Rush cuff that saves 260 g per foot and improves backward ROM in walk mode by 13.5 degrees.

Atomic Backland 102 FR 180 cm -- 1750 g
    G3 ION toe and TTS -- @ 530 g
    2280 g
    TX Pro/Rush cuff Frankenboot 27 -- 1609 g
    G3 alpinist skin -- 245 g
    1854 g
    4134 g per foot

Atomic Backland 107 189 cm -- 1600 g
    22 Designs Lynx -- 500 g
    2100 g
    Pomoca Climb Pro 2 skins -- 258 g
    1867 g
    3967 g per foot

Ski Logic Bomb Squad 188 cm -- 2125 g
    Speed Radical Toe and TTS -- 500 g
    2625 g
    BD nylon skins -- 310 g
    1919 g
    4544 g per foot
    Last edited by telepariah; 03-12-2020 at 04:57 AM.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Nickwm- how do you like that setup ?

Thinking about the exact same thing for a five day glacier trip to Alaska- love my bmt 94s and 122s but for mixed conditions realized that 190 ravens plus speed turns are lighter than bmt 94s in a 186 w radical st 2’s... figuring they’ll be significantly less likely to be pushed around in heavy snow and still like 650g lighter than bmt 122s w kingpins

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m thinking of trying some head kore 99 with sub 300g bindings to have a setup where I don’t feel like a beginner on the way down.

Mostly agree... there is no point skiing/murdering a 1300g ski with a 130 flex boot imho,.
    Ok, I just did this very thing this morning, and I was wrong. It’s super fucking fun. I skied my 177 Movement Response-X (89mm, 1400g incl bindings) with my ZGTPs and it was fucking awesome. My twitchiest, hookiest, skinniest and lightest setup became a breakable crust crushing monster. I’m instantly addicted.

Heavy ski / light boot still sucks tho.

Yeah I drive a shorter super light Denali with a Vulcan, I don't see why it wouldnt be > a light boot other than a little extra weight

Ok, I just did this very thing this morning, and I was wrong. It’s super fucking fun. I skied my 177 Movement Response-X (89mm, 1400g incl bindings) with my ZGTPs and it was fucking awesome. My twitchiest, hookiest, skinniest and lightest setup became a breakable crust crushing monster. I’m instantly addicted.

Good to know I'll have to try both scarpa f1 and nordica strider on my Wayback 96's.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I like the ski and boot to be balanced but it's a lot more fun to drive a light ski with a big boot than vice versa.

OP, I think 2 kg. is around my breaking point for flat ski weight. Seems to be a natural weight for a conventional build in a 180 cm ski. Pair that with a lightish binding and decent touring boot and it's my fitness not the gear that's gonna be the limiting factor on any day less than 3 or 4k vertical. Bigger vert than that and I switch out to lighter stuff so I'm not miserable on the descent.

Am I gonna be kicking myself for pairing 189 BGs w/ hawx xtd 130s?

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Am I gonna be kicking myself for pairing 189 BGs w/ hawx xtd 130s?
    Perhaps.

Depends on binders+how far you're going.

I did a week in JH on a CAST+Pro-To+Lupo Pro HD setup. We did some pretty big days and I was feeling it by end of the trip.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Perhaps.

Depends on binders+how far you're going.

I did a week in JH on a CAST+Pro-To+Lupo Pro HD setup. We did some pretty big days and I was feeling it by end of the trip.
    shifts, mostly for sidecountry expeditions (or inbounds pow days), I wouldn't want to lug them on full day tours

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    shifts, mostly for sidecountry expeditions (or inbounds pow days), I wouldn't want to lug them on full day tours
    Nah you'll be fine then.

I wouldn't worry.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

I just jumped ship from ZG108+Vipec (~2400g) to Ova Freebird w/Helio 200 (1450g).

Still using my old Mercuries and yeah, it’s pretty fun to push a skinny light with a stiff boot

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Touring setup (pretty powerful):

Moment WCT108 at 184cm: 1750g
    ATK FR14 w/o brakes: 312g
    Tecnica ZGTP w/lange spoilers: 1330g
    Kreuzspitze Kevlar Leash: 15g
    Pomoca S-Glide Pro Tipon: 300g

3707g per foot

Way lighter than my resort/travel/sidecountry setup which is:

Moment Bibby Pro 184: 2150g
    Salomon Shift: 865g
    Tecnica Cochise 130 Pro w/booster strap: 2005g
    G3 Alpinist Skins: 330g

5350g per foot

Obviously the latter is more powerful but the tour setup skis extremely well and is honestly quite playful. It's my favorite rig.
    Last edited by macon; 03-12-2020 at 11:23 PM.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Powder: Protests, Radical ST, Sollyfit plates, Maestrale.

Other: MVPs, Radical ST, Sollyfit, Maestrale/Cochise.

Not weight weenie territory.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    Switching skins between very similar sized skis I can understand, but who uses a 105 wide skin on 115+ ski for touring? Weird.

Keep your dog haired pine needles away from my skins. Light is too light when they don’t last a couple of years. I refuse to re-glue and deal with that shitshow. Rather buy/try something new.

If they don’t stick, like catastrophic failure, use the voile straps that you should have in your pack anyways. Last such failure was with g3 skins on a -28*C day, not a fun day. In general i with these “glueless” colltex skins i have become super anal about keeping ski base and skin dry when transitioning. Is it worth the trade off? Not sure yet.

Will try Pomocas in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An inch or two from wall-to-wall isn't a problem unless you have a slippery traverse en route, in which case a pair of points is the better option anyways. Regluing ain't open heart surgery either, and it speaks to my reuse recycle warm spot.

Anyone else wondering if the OP will return with his findings?

well ya it depends where you ^^ are gona ski, ferinstance I wouldn't go back to rogers pass without crampons/ W2W skins cuz if it hasnt snowed in a bit I know I will get my ass handed to me with less than ze very best gear

Also I got a bunch of skis and skins so sometimes I might be using less than W2W

Ya gluing skins is not rocket biology either

but I thot buddy acted like an arrogant asshole

or he was german
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-13-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well ya it depends where you ^^ are gona ski, ferinstance I wouldn't go back to rogers pass without crampons/ W2W skins cuz if it hasnt snowed in a bit I know I will get my ass handed to me with less than ze very best gear

Also I got a bunch of skis and skins so sometimes I might be using less than W2W

Ya gluing skins is not rocket biology either

but I thot buddy acted like an arrogant asshole

or he was german
    Not disagreeing with you, homie.

I like that you call it like you see it, that's what this place is about.

That, and dentists who have a wall2wall set of skins for every pair of skis they've ever considered owning.

Man some of y'all's setups sound straight luxurious.

I only have one setup, never really looked into it but seems pretty heavy per foot:

2012 Line Influence 115 186: 2502g
    L Salomon Guardians: 1495g
    BD Ascension Skins: 369g
    Lange Freetour 130: 1800g

Totals to 6166g or 13.5lbs per foot. Sounds like it could be time for a lighter setup!