Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

light skis stink

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Vipec Evo's weigh out to 630-635g per binding.

So my question still stands. A ~1300g ski is going to ski like ass in anything but perfect snow, regardless of what binding you put on it, so why bolt a heavy tech binding onto a ski like that?

IME/IMO, at the same total mass, a "heavy" ski with a light binding will ski better than a light ski with a "heavy" binding.
    I have to agree. I personally think anything under 1600g for a mid 180cm length ski is not going to preform on the downhill. No matter what bindings you slap on there. I'm personally on some 184 Ravens with some Roation 12's. Couldn't ask for a better weight to ski performance ratio. If you think your gear is too heavy just get in better shape right?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Vipec Evo's weigh out to 630-635g per binding.

So my question still stands. A ~1300g ski is going to ski like ass in anything but perfect snow, regardless of what binding you put on it, so why bolt a heavy tech binding onto a ski like that?

IME/IMO, at the same total mass, a "heavy" ski with a light binding will ski better than a light ski with a "heavy" binding.
    On this theory, I just swapped 178 ZeroG 95s with Vipecs (1928g) for 183 BD Helio 95s with Alpinists (1810g). Ski weighs 250g more; binding weighs 350g less. Will report back...but maybe not until next season.

I love the Vipecs on hardpack with their toe elasticity, but I didn't like the ZG95s a ton. My first mistake was the length - should have had 185. But I think the Helio will have a bit more mass and a bit more of a funshape than the ZG95, so I expect them to ski better AND more funner.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    IMO This post exposes the flaw of the formula. Dude lost 17 pounds. Anyone think he'd find his setup 0.9% harder to drag uphill? I lost 25 pounds this winter. I definitely did not suddenly feel like my setup was worse for it.

Great starting point though.
    Totally agree. We could run the percentage off of ideal body weight for your height, but it takes more work. And people hate more work in general

^ agree. If you are doing big days, a bunch of consecutive days, or have fast partners...lightweight gear is disproportionately helpful for heavier guys. I've gotten to the point where my cardio is pretty good, but at 6'3" 215 lbs I'm just carrying a lot more mass uphill, so every ounce I can save on my feet makes a difference in terms of my recovery for the next day.

And this is certainly debatable, but I *feel* like I can drive lighter gear better than your typical 140 pound skimo'er because I can use my leg strength to really commit to each turn. It's just harder for me to get bucked all over the place regardless of how heavy my setup is. I've grown to really feel at home on my 185 Zero G 85s in most conditions (except breakable crust, that just sucks).

6'4" 240-250 lbs
    Mindbender 108 ti 193cm 2350ish
    Mindbender boot 29.5 guessing 1800
    Plum guide bindings plus stomp pad 400
    BD glidelite mix 400?

4950 estimate although i feel like that is probably a few grams low

Also skins weigh a hell of a lot more wet
    than dry

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    And this is certainly debatable, but I *feel* like I can drive lighter gear better than your typical 140 pound skimo'er because I can use my leg strength to really commit to each turn. It's just harder for me to get bucked all over the place regardless of how heavy my setup is. I've grown to really feel at home on my 185 Zero G 85s in most conditions (except breakable crust, that just sucks).
    Word. The only time that I want something between a <2000g spring setup and a 2600g midwinter / cliff dropping setup is breakable crust. And guess what? It's not worth $800 to me to ski breakable crust better. I'm thinking spring re-freeze is a valid condition to base weight decisions around, but fuck trying to ski breakable better. In ~60 touring days so far this year I've had maybe two where I wanted something between a 94mm and 120mm setup (only posting this to try to talk myself out of custom praxis this month)

only posting this to try to talk myself out of custom praxis this month
    Sad!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    And guess what? It's not worth $800 to me to ski breakable crust better.
    our specific weight numbers differ but I'm with you here. I have tried buying a ski for this purpose, and it turns out breakable crust just sucks, you deal with the best you can. if there's a magic ski that makes it fun, I sure as shit haven't found it anyway.

IME a ski with a LOT of early rise makes breakable crust suck less
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    our specific weight numbers differ but I'm with you here. I have tried buying a ski for this purpose, and it turns out breakable crust just sucks, you deal with the best you can. if there's a magic ski that makes it fun, I sure as shit haven't found it anyway.
    It's Corvus freebird. It does everything else very good too.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Soft, pintail, lots of rocker is the recipes to make breakable maybe fun? Definitely bearable. Had a few days two winters ago where my skis were out of commission and I took a rental Wailer 112 Tour core from the shop I worked at on a few tours. Best ski I’ve ever skied in breakable and tight deep trees, worst ski I’ve ever had for landing anything or going fast

My vwerks katanas do pretty well in breakable, provided it's steep or i can go fast enough, ie good visibility

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Sooo considering that both my touring skis are fully rockered and that I had the wailer 5 or 7 years ago and, I’d say my point about not being worth it to base ski acquisition on breakable crust was pretty spot on

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Sooo considering that both my touring skis are fully rockered and that I had the wailer 5 or 7 years ago and, I’d say my point about not being worth it to base ski acquisition on breakable crust was pretty spot on

Maybe.

I base my steep ski acquisition on how well it does in shitty, challenging conditions, like ice, mank, breakable etc. Any ski will do well in good conditions.

But many times i encounter bad conditions, and i choose where and when to ski based on terrain more than snow conditions.

Which it why i ski a 112mm ski, even in spring conditions, where i very rarely have perfect corn, more likely , 10 inches of slush.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    There’s no such thing as bad snow, just bad skiers. I’m not a good skier.

Some days it feels heavier than others

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    There’s no such thing as bad snow, just bad skiers. I’m not a good skier.
    No my friend, bad snow most definitely exists. The ability to survive it is the realm of good skiers. The ability to avoid it is the realm of wise skiers.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Converted last tele rig.

old Billy Goat tours w rotations: 2850. Maestrale: 1940. pomoca: 274g = 4614/foot.

Guess this makes them my weight weenie rig.
    My pillows are 5541, Cease's are 5182.

Good thing I'm drinking plenty of beer, in order to keep the 'rig to body weight' ratio low.
    north bound horse.

just discovered the kitchen scale I used for my post last weekend maxes out at 3kg
    so, i gotta find another option to weigh ski+binding, but it seems the weight will go up

Rod we both ski vwerks skis in the bc...

This writeup is relevant to this thread: https://www.wildsnow.com/28035/the-v...-conversation/

Skiing Turnagain with skimo skis sounds like true punishment. So many great lines to ski balls to the wall full speed ahead. To climb up there only to wiggle down sounds like true punishment. Such a fun place to ski and access is so easy. 3-4 laps in a day on big boy skis, boots and bindings is easy especially at the low elevation. Sure you could get a few more. But flashing those lines at speed is what AK is all about. Fat skis were built specifically to ski fast in AK. We’ve just reaped the benefits. Hard to stay ahead of sluffs on skinny boards. To each there own. But of all places AK is where you want your fatties.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Bump for more education. Thanks fellas.

Me: 6-1, 185. Down from 210. Older than most.

Ski Sun Valley and the BC between here and Galena Summit.

QST 118, 185 with Shift. 3050 g, estimated (maxed my kitchen scale)

K2 Coomback 114 with G3 Ions. 2386 g

QST 106, 181, with Shift. 2907 g
    Thinking hard about replacing the Shift with the ATK 14 from Spyder Jon or from Moment. This is my do-it-all touring ski and I'd love to save 500 g per ski.

Or the Salomon mtn 300g

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Or the Salomon mtn 300g

Yeah? I like the sound of that spacer on the ATK