Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 157
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Rossland
    Posts
    26
    191 ON3P Caylors with Dukes - heavy
    184 BGs with Kingpins - medium
    190 Wildcat Tour 108s with Tectons - Light
    Dont care about the specific weights

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    3,201
    Started this thread and never fully played the game...

    Tour Rig
    Blizzard Zero G 105 180cm (1495g) Salomon MTN (400g) Atomic Hawx XTD 130 W/Pro Tours 25.5 (1416g) Pomoca (233g) = (3544g)

    50/50 Rig
    Praxis RX 184 (1975g) Cast Freetour (1000g) Hawx (1416g) or Cochise 130 (1995g) Contour Hybrid (340g) = (4731g or 5310g)

    The ?
    Dynastar Pro-to Menace 180cm (2200gr) Cast Freetour (1000g) Hawx (1416g) or Cochise 130 (1995g) Contour Hybrid (340g)

    Recently picked up the RX's because the Pro-to's were not as burly as advertised, Super stoked with the RX's for that slot but now I have the Pro-tos kinda sitting unused and they are actually a fun pow ski but the tip flex in the 180 is too much Rossi for my in bounds desires for the second half of the day. I started this thread pondering if I should just put some 300g touring bindings on them... still haven't and they remain sitting even though I have a set of bindings i could mount. I have plenty of other options with just alpine clamps.

    With the resorts seemingly all closing early this year I am tempted get a wider ski going with a light binding... Its just seems stupid to do that with a 2200g ski... On one hand it seems stupid, on the other I already have them and they sit.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    397
    Saw the ATK's for sale figured you were having second thoughts...

    You're still shedding a pound in binding weight, might as well give it a rip. Probably make a nice heavy damp soft snow cruiser.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,180
    Interesting thread. Some different definitions of "heavy". Some are crazy heavy/no way and then some putting in big days on heavy set ups. Fun read. Everyones wants seem to vary. Ive come to the conclusion i just want to tour on steeples and save the light weight for my spring ski. The steeples are not light but they ski so well. My little 174 steeple 102 really do it all. They changed the game for me. They float through anything and waaay better than any 102 waisted ski should. They can squirm through tight alders early season or you can open them up. The short 174 is ez on the switchbacks are down through tight spots on exits and the 102 waist bites on any uptrack and any condition on the downs. Just got the 179 108's and looks like i could put some atk's on and theyd be a similar weight to my little 102's. Both ski on the hill a million times better than any other ski ive had with pintech bindings on them. Damp and zero deflection. Guaranteed to have good turns after a climb.

    172.2 black crowes camox freebird w fritschi xenics 1698g/foot

    174 on3p steeple 102 w dynafit speed turn 2.0 (speed sl toes and shim) 2278g/foot

    179 on3p steeple 108 w g3 ions(demo track) 2626g/foot

    179 4frnt hoji pilsner with fritschi tectons
    2855g/foot

    25.5 vulcan w/o toungue, booster strap and intuition tour wrap 1520g/foot

    25.5 dalbello lupo carbon ti w booster strap, intuitiin wrap liner and thick cuff spoiler 1738g/foot

    Probably sell the hoji but i want to ski them more first. Add a light weight fat ski(116-120) maybe. Rumoured new lighter on3p touring ski? Or skinny ul praxis protest? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_232031.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	320371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_231554.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	320372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_233716.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	320373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_232256.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	320374

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Interesting thread. Some different definitions of "heavy". Some are crazy heavy/no way and then some putting in big days on heavy set ups. Fun read. Everyones wants seem to vary. Ive come to the conclusion i just want to tour on steeples and save the light weight for my spring ski. The steeples are not light but they ski so well. My little 174 steeple 102 really do it all. They changed the game for me. They float through anything and waaay better than any 102 waisted ski should. They can squirm through tight alders early season or you can open them up. The short 174 is ez on the switchbacks are down through tight spots on exits and the 102 waist bites on any uptrack and any condition on the downs. Just got the 179 108's and looks like i could put some atk's on and theyd be a similar weight to my little 102's. Both ski on the hill a million times better than any other ski ive had with pintech bindings on them. Damp and zero deflection. Guaranteed to have good turns after a climb.

    172.2 black crowes camox freebird w fritschi xenics 1698g/foot

    174 on3p steeple 102 w dynafit speed turn 2.0 (speed sl toes and shim) 2278g/foot

    179 on3p steeple 108 w g3 ions(demo track) 2626g/foot

    179 4frnt hoji pilsner with fritschi tectons
    2855g/foot

    25.5 vulcan w/o toungue, booster strap and intuition tour wrap 1520g/foot

    25.5 dalbello lupo carbon ti w booster strap, intuitiin wrap liner and thick cuff spoiler 1738g/foot

    Probably sell the hoji but i want to ski them more first. Add a light weight fat ski(116-120) maybe. Rumoured new lighter on3p touring ski? Or skinny ul praxis protest? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_232031.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	320371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_231554.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	320372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_233716.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	320373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_232256.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	320374

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    How tall/fat are you. What do you ski in resort. Iím tempted to give up the long light touring skis and try short heavier for same total weight.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,180
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    How tall/fat are you. What do you ski in resort. Iím tempted to give up the long light touring skis and try short heavier for same total weight.
    Im 5"7' 165-170. I guess i should have added my resort skis. They tour and are definutely heavy. 182 praxis gpo og stock with solomon/atomic ffg 14 with cast 1.0 and a 179 on3p bg assym with look p18 and cast 2.0(havent toured on them yet). My 182 praxis is the same length as my 179 on3p. The 174 sterple 102 was the same length as my 177 praxis concept i had

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im 5"7' 165-170. I guess i should have added my resort skis. They tour and are definutely heavy. 182 praxis gpo og stock with solomon/atomic ffg 14 with cast 1.0 and a 179 on3p bg assym with look p18 and cast 2.0(havent toured on them yet). My 182 praxis is the same length as my 179 on3p. The 174 sterple 102 was the same length as my 177 praxis concept i had

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the info!

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swiss alps
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Iím tempted to give up the long light touring skis and try short heavier for same total weight.
    This is what ive been pondering recently as well. The lack of dampness that very light skis give is just becoming a liability as i am skiing faster.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,180
    I probably average twice the speed on the hill as i do touring. That is why, together with the regular tight bushwacking exits, i appreciate the shorter ski more often than not. Tight switchbacks too. Its a more enjoyable day between getting good turns(steeple effect and heavier ski) and exiting through the bush on a good note(shorter length), or atleast thats my thinking

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    397
    I like this thread because I'm a nerd.

    Just started dating a new lady and she has been asking similar questions. I broke it down to her like this:

    Skiing is a continuum of fear and enjoyment. The closer to the scared side you reside your boots should be heavier and your skis light. As you get comfortable with partners and terrain you can carry "training weight" in your skis. When you get so comfortable you become bored start playing with lighter boots. You really want to challenge yourself to find some type 3 fun, build the lightest rig you can afford and ski the longest route you dare.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,180
    The pursuit of adventure. It can not be an adventure without the risk of death!! Heavier the ski, the more adventure you get. Science!

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I like this thread because I'm a nerd.

    Just started dating a new lady and she has been asking similar questions. I broke it down to her like this:

    Skiing is a continuum of fear and enjoyment. The closer to the scared side you reside your boots should be heavier and your skis light. As you get comfortable with partners and terrain you can carry "training weight" in your skis. When you get so comfortable you become bored start playing with lighter boots. You really want to challenge yourself to find some type 3 fun, build the lightest rig you can afford and ski the longest route you dare.
    Not sure I get this....

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,623
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    The pursuit of adventure. It can not be an adventure without the risk of death!! Heavier the ski, the more adventure you get. Science!

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Scientifically confirmed by Jeremie Heitz ;-)

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,180
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Scientifically confirmed by Jeremie Heitz ;-)

    ... Thom
    Ha true. Id die much easier though so mega gap our the level of risk

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    520
    I recently picked up a pair of lightly used Scarpa Alien RS's for relatively cheap and took them out today in ~8" of powder with my Zero G 85s and had a total blast. For reference, my other setup is Lupo Factorys + Voile Chargers. I didnt miss the fatter skis at all today and felt very in control with the Aliens.

    Now I'm starting to rethink my touring quiver strategy. Here are the scenarios I'm thinking of:
    1) Pow: either setup skis great, but win goes to Aliens/Zero Gs for being basically half the weight
    2) No new snow in a while: 99% of time I'm going for a line with a longer approach that is more about the terrain/views/etc. than skiing so probably will take the lighter setup again
    3) Corn skiing: Lighter wins easy
    4) Shit snow: I'm prob not touring
    5) Going out a gate with a lift bump: The 1 scenario in which my heavier setup is a clear winner

    What am I missing? Or have I finally seen the light (no pun intended)?

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    11,260
    do my splatulas with dukes win?
    fuck no I pulled those marker pos

    I was gonna mount shifts but
    that's still ungodly heavy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    810
    I once toured with Spatulas, 916's, and Trekkers. Didn't know any better/didn't care there was lighter gear out there. I'd actually love to take that setup out for a spin again just to see how brutal it would be.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I recently picked up a pair of lightly used Scarpa Alien RS's for relatively cheap and took them out today in ~8" of powder with my Zero G 85s and had a total blast. For reference, my other setup is Lupo Factorys + Voile Chargers. I didnt miss the fatter skis at all today and felt very in control with the Aliens.

    Now I'm starting to rethink my touring quiver strategy. Here are the scenarios I'm thinking of:
    1) Pow: either setup skis great, but win goes to Aliens/Zero Gs for being basically half the weight
    2) No new snow in a while: 99% of time I'm going for a line with a longer approach that is more about the terrain/views/etc. than skiing so probably will take the lighter setup again
    3) Corn skiing: Lighter wins easy
    4) Shit snow: I'm prob not touring
    5) Going out a gate with a lift bump: The 1 scenario in which my heavier setup is a clear winner

    What am I missing? Or have I finally seen the light (no pun intended)?
    You can get by on 95% of pow days here on ~90mm underfoot with a 1kg boot imho. Powder is definitely not the reason to get heavier gear in this state. If we were confined to 25ļ all winter like CO, you want super wide shit so maybe a different story. Same with corn (you can get by on ~90mm / 1kg), with the caveat that you actually time the corn harvest right, only go when it's real corn and not just ice, and so on.

    The rest depends imo. I'm a "go tour every day I am able regardless of the snow, 4k'+ dawn patrol every chance I get" guy, so I have switched boots for something beefier (went +300g/foot for 125 flex Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pros over my Fischer Carbon Travers) and got a beefier ski awaiting mounting. My pow rig is a 177cm Movement Response-X (128/89/116, so mostly like a ~95mm ski with more sidecut) and there have only been a couple days in the last 200++ of touring days where I felt I needed more underfoot because the snow was too deep. But again... that's UT, with our goldilocks snow density, stable snowpack, etc (but you live here too so )

    I really notice/enjoy the performance bump from the ZGTPs over the Fischers in anything NOT blower, and have heavier skis waiting mount for the same reason... but again, I'm gonna go ski whatever's out there, and when you do that you ski a lot of bad snow. Also most of my favorite spots/lines involve low elevation starts and even if you get 1500' of pow up to, this time of year you may get 2500' of variable on your way out. The other reason to tend beefier is for specific steep lines you wanna ski, when maybe the only way to get them within your risk tolerance is to ski them all chewed up in crappy snow. All of this said, I've done it on really light stuff for a while and it's fine, you just have to ski slower.

    If you're choosier about your conditions / spots and live around here you might never really NEED the heavier setup. But skiing a ~2500g/foot setup in low to mid angle breakable crust is truly, truly horrible.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    520
    ^thanks, was hoping you would chime in! Makes a ton of sense

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    11,260
    im not sure how much less 191 carbon lhasas and soli mnt labs are than 190 carbon lotus 120 and atk fr14 feels a little
    I don't know
    both noticebly heavier than kusalas and rad 2's
    mohair or mix 4 me now og orange ascentions are unneeded weight

    and I finally pre released the expert spring hammering bumps down to a mag bake bobs tree safety sesh
    so im thinking those probably should stay ob
    but other than that I ski 12 din pins in and outta bounds since the dyna dorks went to 12
    and we did big group vertical buy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    397
    I agree with 99% of that mallwalker, my 1% of disagreement is when you get bands of refreeze or other junk, breakable crust. I skied a lot with this little crew in Idaho and they'd say, "if you only ski when the snow is good you miss a lot of good snow.". I like to skate ski or do something else if it's crap, but there are long days that you get a lot of good snow and some ungodly bad snow. The lightest gear that you can ski bulletproof and breakable crust is what you want sometimes.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I agree with 99% of that mallwalker, my 1% of disagreement is when you get bands of refreeze or other junk, breakable crust. I skied a lot with this little crew in Idaho and they'd say, "if you only ski when the snow is good you miss a lot of good snow.". I like to skate ski or do something else if it's crap, but there are long days that you get a lot of good snow and some ungodly bad snow. The lightest gear that you can ski bulletproof and breakable crust is what you want sometimes.
    Where is this crew in Idaho you speak of....

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,424
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I agree with 99% of that mallwalker, my 1% of disagreement is when you get bands of refreeze or other junk, breakable crust. I skied a lot with this little crew in Idaho and they'd say, "if you only ski when the snow is good you miss a lot of good snow.". .
    that statement doesnt really make alot of sense

    we alwasy say anybody can ski pow
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    397
    I reread it and realize I read it wrong the first time. Yes, I agree. A tad more weight is nice in variable conditions, that was all I was trying to say. As light as you feel confident and efficient in hard conditions. The winter I spent in Idaho was in the south, we mostly skied the Sawtooths.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,623
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I reread it and realize I read it wrong the first time. Yes, I agree. A tad more weight is nice in variable conditions, that was all I was trying to say. As light as you feel confident and efficient in hard conditions. The winter I spent in Idaho was in the south, we mostly skied the Sawtooths.
    It was clear to me, to the point I was going to say your buddies' quote was sig worthy.

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-19-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •