Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4649.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	371115

Chunkin’

Sick! I thought about checking that out today but thought better of it. I have a lot of fitness and technical skill to rebuild before I take that thing on.

Anyone have inside info on if PC will be selling lift haul passes this summer? Last year it was limited to epic pass holders from the previous winter.

North Holbrook above Bountiful is a hidden gem. Super fun descent. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210425_141311.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	372695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210425_140129.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	372696

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    North Holbrook above Bountiful is a hidden gem. Super fun descent.
    Looks nice. Is it done as an out-and-back? Any way to tie in other trails as a loop?

With snow up high still out-and-back is the only option. I turned around 2.2 miles/2k up due to snow. Later on the only viable loop option seems to be climbing Skyline drive, which is usually a dusty gong show of trucks, UTVs and dirt bikes. 3.5k of quiet HABing seems preferable. There's a trail up the adjacent Holbrook Canyon that the map shows as going all the way to the ridgeline, but it reportedly peters out completely almost 2 miles short.

Lower elevation PC was starting to dry nicely but getting some decent rain up here today. Probably going to be a few days before it's rideable again. Still limited in terms of options and length though and anything facing away from the sun in the Springcreek/Bob's Basin/Round Valley area still has snow or mud on it so gonna be a minute before that dries...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Looks nice. Is it done as an out-and-back? Any way to tie in other trails as a loop?
    You can make a relatively long ass loop with MoPi later in the season. Up to Big Mtn then on the Great Western trail until you decide to drop off to the valley floor. It's type-2 fun but great exploring in terrain that doesn't see a whole of traffic. The downside is that the trail on the ridge isn't particularly interesting (lots of old dirt road with ATV traffic) and by the time it's dry and you can do it without postholing in snow (it's mostly above 8.5k) the lower W facing terrain is bone dry and not as fun to ride.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    You can make a relatively long ass loop with MoPi later in the season. Up to Big Mtn then on the Great Western trail until you decide to drop off to the valley floor.
    This sounds like a pretty rad P2P ride (could also start at Parley's summit), but I'm failing to see how it would work as a loop. Taking another quick look at the map there is another viable loop option of Mueller/Grandview/GWT. That must be pushing 7k of climbing and mostly HAB after the top of Mueller. It would be a hell of an adventure but that's a serious day. Definitely no water the whole way unless there's some lingering snow up high.

Thanks for the exploration suggestions. Time availability for day-long excursions is scarce these days, but it's fun to plan.

Looking forward to the dirt later this week after the rain!

PCMR just announced that they do plan to have Bike Haul available this year. In fact, looks like they're planning to have most of their on-mountain activities. Hopefully we don't get a Covid spike and it derails those plans.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

This sounds like a pretty rad P2P ride (could also start at Parley's summit), but I'm failing to see how it would work as a loop. Taking another quick look at the map there is another viable loop option of Mueller/Grandview/GWT. That must be pushing 7k of climbing and mostly HAB after the top of Mueller. It would be a hell of an adventure but that's a serious day. Definitely no water the whole way unless there's some lingering snow up high.
    Yeah I think making it into a loop would be pretty ambitious and involve quite a bit of pavement (up Emigration to the base of MoPi and from the base of the dowhill to Wild Rose park, assuming you still have legs to bang out Shoreline on the way back; if not, pavement). Doing it as P2P would be smarter, maybe starting @ Parley's summit with some Sheep trail action and stay on the ridge until N Holbrook of Parrish creek for maximum punishment.

I've been riding with a guy who is an absolute monster beast when it comes to mileage and that's the kind of shit he throws at you when you ask for dumb suggestions. He just got a fully rigid bike and is doing 50 mile chunks on Shoreline and the surrounding trails like I do 15 milers... but his enthusiasm is contagious and I like to suffer.

TGR group ride mega beatdown??
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

i'm still waiting for the sandbag ride i was promised

not that i'm in any rush - i figure it's probably best to wait until i can do the full climb up to lost lad without having to stop on the crux hill. i'm getting close, but boy howdy does my aerobic endurance game need some work

I'm decidedly not in beatdown shape, but hey, when in Rome....

Holbrook is a fun descent, but NFW am I riding from Bountiful to Emi to close that loop.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-28-2021 at 12:06 PM.

In for a group ride. Probably not in if it's 50 miles of shoreline xc.

I'm decidedly not in beatdown shape, but hey, when in Rome....
    I’m totally in beat down shape. If that means that everything beats me down right now?

checking in for 50 miles of shoreline nonsense

Was gonna post my bike for sale here but it sold in a few hours for about 1 - 1.5k more than I was thinking it was actually worth. The used bike market is bonkers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Was gonna post my bike for sale here but it sold in a few hours for about 1 - 1.5k more than I was thinking it was actually worth. The used bike market is bonkers right now.
    Damn! It was already crazy at the end of last summer, sounds like people are pulling all the stops on bikes right now. And on pretty much anything else for that matter.
    I was looking on PB to see how much I could get out of my DPX2 with 500 miles on it and people are snapping them up for the same price as new. Makes a shock upgrade a no-brainer (assuming the new shock actually exists).

Seems like most of the Fox/Marzocchi stuff is sold out. I pulled the trigger on a new shock last night for the new rig, went with an EXT. Sold and serviced locally by Suspension Syndicate.

If I sell my bike now for a profit, when can I buy back in for a discount. Seems like we are in a bubble and the market needs a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Seems like most of the Fox/Marzocchi stuff is sold out. I pulled the trigger on a new shock last night for the new rig, went with an EXT. Sold and serviced locally by Suspension Syndicate.
    Had to go to Germany to get a Manitou shock. Annoying as they're US made and the shock will end up traveling internationally a lot more than I have these past few hours.
    I considered EXT but vanity demands my suspension is fully matched and the Kashima of the DPX2 really doesn't tie the bike together.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    If I sell my bike now for a profit, when can I buy back in for a discount. Seems like we are in a bubble and the market needs a correction.
    Risky business, after all the big boat that finally stopped blocking Suez is now impounded and it's a known fact all bikes currently on backorder are on that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Problem with this plan is you wont' be able to buy in for a discount for a while... unless you find a loss leader somewhere. Supply chain is completely f'd up and there are some bikes that are literally not going to be available till next year. And those that do have stock this year are probably going to be selling whatever they can get their hands on for full retail.

I was going to sell a frame I changed my mind on and after a quick search on Pinkbike, I decided to keep it and finish my build because if I wanted to get something else later this spring or summer, I probably won't find anything.

Wasatch Dirt Thread

I may have gotten lucky but my new-to-me bike came from PB, from the east coast. Everything is only about 6 months old and pretty much the exact spec if I was going to build it myself. I came out way ahead in the end, only cost me around $1000 out of pocket to upgrade to nearly new frame and parts. I was about to buy this same frame for $2500 and then probably swap all my old parts onto it because it seems unlikely I'd be able to find the new parts I wanted, that it came with.

Fack it’s nice out lately!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4818.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	373100
    Last edited by dfinn; 04-30-2021 at 09:48 AM.

I was thinking about doing a P2P ride in around a month starting at the base of Farmington Cyn, riding up to the top, go south on Skyline Dr and take the GWT to Big Mtn Pass. From there, depending on energy levels, take MoPi or Sheep Trail and maybe extend into Lambs, up and over Lambs Canyon Pass and into Millcreek. Do it after the snow melts but before Skyline Dr opens to vehicles. Would love some company