Page 1 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Wasatch Dirt Thread

I see no reason for a new thread every year. This one's forevah.

Anyone been by I Street in the last couple days? The kiddo is itching to boost some stuff.

Also, recently my bike got fully tricked out with all the best stuff Hayes Group makes. Manitou Mezzer Pro fork and Mara Pro shock, Reynolds carbon wheels, Dominion A4 brakes (actually had these last year and they're spectacular), Protaper carbon bars, the works. I also suffered a head injury late last fall and I'm not supposed to ride for a year. So, if anyone is Hayes/Manitou-curious and short enough to fit my bike you're more than welcome to borrow it as a demo sled. It's a small GG Shred Dogg v2, sizing rec's and geo here: https://ridegg.com/shreddogg-2018

LCC Was good yesterday albeit a little squishy at the bottom around noonish.

The north side of Corner Canyon from Orson Smith to the Ghost Falls bridge is good. Everything above the bridge is either mud or snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    So, if anyone is Hayes/Manitou-curious and short enough to fit my bike you're more than welcome to borrow it as a demo sled. It's a small GG Shred Dogg v2,
    That would fit. So this summer I can just fly in and take it for a long weekend demo? Sorry to hear about the hiatus. Do some hiking to scope out new lines and some trail building?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    That would fit. So this summer I can just fly in and take it for a long weekend demo?
    "You break it, you buy it" policy applies, but yeah pretty much if I'm in town. I suppose I could also loan out just the fork pretty easily, too.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Sorry to hear about the hiatus. Do some hiking to scope out new lines and some trail building?
    Pretty much the plan. I also ended up with a big cache of spare parts so I'm going to build up a cheap hardtail frame and hopefully noodle it around on mellow trails in late summer/fall.

Anyone been by I Street in the last couple days? The kiddo is itching to boost some stuff.
    Rumors of upper area is starting to dry out, and the upper step-up is GTG. Some south facing stuff on the backside is dry....Guessing there will be enough rideable to make it worthy of a sesh by Saturday...although looks like windy Saturday and rainy Sunday, pick you poison....Ogden bike park looks GTG as well. Maybe lower Bountiful B too. Fruit Heights I believe is GTG.

Hmmm. Saturday definitely looks too windy, was thinking about tomorrow afternoon since he gets out of school early. Though even tomorrow could have enough wind to be questionable.

Rode Eagle Mountain today. South facing was totally dry, North facing was out, and East and West depended on tree cover. Rock-a-billy , cow tracks, and Jackrabbit were all mostly good with some wet spots around the Junipers. Deadwood was wet n rutty n sticky. Billy Idol, Backspacer, and Deer Tracks were all gtg.

I rode Moab yesterday. Get in the car and drive, it’s worth it. Only saw three other riders on Capt. Ahab, but I was on and off early.

Ogden bike park is in great shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200307_143602_008_saved.jpeg 
Views:	198 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	319248

YMJC, the thread says ‘Dirt’. What you are doing on snow I don’t understand.

He sold his soul and quit skiing a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    He sold his soul and quit skiing a few years back.
    #dadlife

Also, recently my bike got fully tricked out with all the best stuff Hayes Group makes. Manitou Mezzer Pro fork and Mara Pro shock, Reynolds carbon wheels, Dominion A4 brakes (actually had these last year and they're spectacular), Protaper carbon bars, the works. I also suffered a head injury late last fall and I'm not supposed to ride for a year. So, if anyone is Hayes/Manitou-curious and short enough to fit my bike you're more than welcome to borrow it as a demo sled. It's a small GG Shred Dogg v2, sizing rec's and geo here: https://ridegg.com/shreddogg-2018
    We’re doing a bunch of work for the Hayes group right now and I’m getting fired up to get the A4s and possibly a Mezzer. Do you have any time on it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

No time on the Mezzer yet. I had the Dominions most of last summer but everything else I just got a few weeks ago and it's all still sitting in a pile on my floor. I should have it all installed pretty soon, but I'm not allowed to ride hard enough to do it justice until next year. Hayes' head mechanic (Phil Ott) races pro enduro and when we met up with them last spring to shoot the JUNIT promo video he was really, really stoked on it.

I'd be happy to let you borrow the Mezzer. It would be super easy to pull it off. Someone needs to break it in for me!

Posting in a few places for the Utah folks:
    I had a friend post this in NYC Caffery Garff but if anyone in SLC needs work done on their bicycles to get around/to the store/for a little excercise, let me know. I'd be happy to do whatever I can to get it up and running for you. This is not a free tune up on your MTB for the season, but if you have a bike that has been sitting for a bit, and you just want to go pedal around for some air, let me know. I will not accept payment for the services.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

For fucks sake... Who pushed the reset button on spring?!!

No joke. Back to the backcountry. Sloppy wet snow that is going to Mud everything up big time.

The stream through our yard is running like it typically does in mid to late April. Early run off.

Things are dry , but windy in Moab.

Decided to pass on touring today and went for my first ride of the season. The weather was as good as it gets. But, the traffic on the trails was insane. There are unfortunately gonna be some real challenges with social distancing and mtb'ing in the Wasatch Front.

Without the release valve of Summit county and S Utah, there is just not enough mileage for all the bikers in the valley. I can't imagine what it will be like on our first nice Saturday.

At a minimum, we need to make more trails directional. It is impossible to stay >6' away when passing a riding going the other direction on singletrack.

Makes you realize just how easy it is to practice social distancing while backcountry skiing in comparison. So I will do my part for social distancing and stick to mainly touring until the snow is gone.

Was thinking about that this morning. Was on the fence but wound up taking a lap at Alta instead. Figured Corner Canyon will be a zoo for a while. Though rain/snow coming next week from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Was thinking about that this morning. Was on the fence but wound up taking a lap at Alta instead. Figured Corner Canyon will be a zoo for a while. Though rain/snow coming next week from the looks of it.
    CC, EaMo, Shoreline, MoPi, they're all going to get turned into dusty rutted messes that will give you the covfefe in a hurry... I smell a summer of high elevation hike-a-bike stupid rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    CC, EaMo, Shoreline, MoPi, they're all going to get turned into dusty rutted messes that will give you the covfefe in a hurry... I smell a summer of high elevation hike-a-bike stupid rides.
    If Scummit county will let you in. I took the dogs for a hike on the shoreline yesterday and it was real busy for a weekday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    At a minimum, we need to make more trails directional. It is impossible to stay >6' away when passing a riding going the other direction on singletrack.
    Were you in CC or SLC trails? More directional trails would be a nice side effect of this nightmare. SLC's master plan will be a huge improvement in this regard, but it will be a while. I have less hope that Draper will ever get with the program. At a minimum, Canyon Hollow should be up-only and Ghost down-only.

Sivogah is probably pretty quiet still since the grade is a pretty good filter. This is also a good time of year to hit Stansbury.

You can speculate all you want, I haven't had any problems social distancing. Not even in Corner Canyon.

In other news, Jacob's goes.

It's not speculation. CC is bursting at the seams on a normal weekday, this isn't going to help. Same for Shoreline which is a conga line every day between 4PM and 8PM. There are better times of the day and better trails to ride to minimize crowding as you pointed out.
    Unlike BC skiing though you're confined to the trails when you're riding bikes and any increase in traffic is going to be felt right away. Hikers are also out en masse right now, including people who would typically go to the movies or the mall but actually have to go outside or die of boredom (oh the horror). And most people start from the same traillheads, clogging up the same parking lots. You should see Millcreek right now. Cars parked on both sides of the road for half a mile around each TH, packs of dogs running wild, hikers walking 4 abreast. The leash law is long forgotten, it's not going to be pretty when bikers start showing up...