Page 9 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    I finally rode Honeycomb for the first time last fall....and was suddenly asking myself "What have I been doing with my life?" That's a fun trail.

BMT is fun. Worth the grunt. Pedal up it before the Tram loads bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I finally rode Honeycomb for the first time last fall....and was suddenly asking myself "What have I been doing with my life?" That's a fun trail.
    As a bonus, once you pedal all the way up the Soli Summit road a few times you'll never complain about Puke Hill again!

Worst climb ever! Save yourself the effort and just shuttle the crest.

First foray of the season to PC last night, I was shocked at the depth of the moondust on the lower trails already. Armstrong is a powder field, Moosehouse is basically a dusty trench. Super bummed as I heard it was completely primo last week. Exited via Loose Moose for the first and last time, perfect trail to learn how to manage 2 wheel drifts in blown out corners and to test high speed rebound on the insane brake-bumps. Silver Queen is still running good, get it before it becomes Mars! Looks like the new 9k trail is almost G2G, I fear the window to nail Black Forest is going to be super short this year.
    Still a great time up there, roaming around the aspens is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As a bonus, once you pedal all the way up the Soli Summit road a few times you'll never complain about Puke Hill again!
    I think I got the great idea from you to get to the top of Soli starting at Brighton - Lake Mary- Solitude. #neverforget #neveragain

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    First foray of the season to PC last night, I was shocked at the depth of the moondust on the lower trails already. Armstrong is a powder field, Moosehouse is basically a dusty trench. Super bummed as I heard it was completely primo last week. Exited via Loose Moose for the first and last time, perfect trail to learn how to manage 2 wheel drifts in blown out corners and to test high speed rebound on the insane brake-bumps. Silver Queen is still running good, get it before it becomes Mars! Looks like the new 9k trail is almost G2G, I fear the window to nail Black Forest is going to be super short this year.
    What's the new 9K trail? I wasn't shocked by dust, it didn't seem too bad on Jennis, but getting back to my car the 'trailhead' at 6:15 was shocking. Swarms of people going up and groups of 10 riding, nooooo thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3435.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	597.9 KB 
ID:	330654

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I think I got the great idea from you to get to the top of Soli starting at Brighton - Lake Mary- Solitude. #neverforget #neveragain
    Nope, wasn't me. I've never once accessed the top of Solitude via Brighton. I've gone up the Lake Mary trail several times to access LCC or AF via Catherine's Pass, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What's the new 9K trail?
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/9k-trail/

Connects Empire Pass to Black Forest. Whether that's a good thing or not is highly debatable.

Nope, wasn't me. I've never once accessed the top of Solitude via Brighton. I've gone up the Lake Mary trail several times to access LCC or AF via Catherine's Pass, but that's it.
    I know a few people that prefer to go that way. It is significantly less climbing if I remember right and it gets you a fun, chunky descent in the middle of your climb. You either have to pedal up the pavement or shuttle up to Brighton.

Ha, OK. Doesn't really matter who told me, any route is worth doing once.

[
    url]https://www.trailforks.com/trails/9k-trail/[/url]

Connects Empire Pass to Black Forest. Whether that's a good thing or not is highly debatable.
    Huh, that's not a need I ever thought about.

Now i see it says, "Phase 2 will be an additional connection linking to Shadow Lake and Scott's Bowl to be completed Summer 2020."

OK, I'm open to this idea now. Why not.

Moosehouse is basically a dusty trench. Super bummed as I heard it was completely primo last week. Silver Queen is still running good, get it before it becomes Mars! Looks like the new 9k trail is almost G2G, I fear the window to nail Black Forest is going to be super short this year.
    Moosehouse was mostly like that last Friday. Not too bad, but I'm certainly not surprised to hear your report. Was Mojave open? I rode Silver Queen after finding out Mojave was still closed last Friday. Agree that SQ is in good shape.

What is the preferred descent when it's this dry? I rode red bull the same day and it's getting quite loose. CMG maybe? But I think the upper section is 2-way

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I know a few people that prefer to go that way. It is significantly less climbing if I remember right and it gets you a fun, chunky descent in the middle of your climb. You either have to pedal up the pavement or shuttle up to Brighton.
    Yeah I think Steve Lloyd usually goes that way. I'd rather loop it than shuttle which means a fairly long road grind to Brighton so I'd rather just get on dirt at Soli.

Whether that's a good thing or not is highly debatable.
    I'm squarely on the bad thing side. Black Forest isn't a trail that is going to fare well with more traffic, especially from the lock-the-rear-brake-and-slide-around crowd. It's going to get ridden 5x as much now that you don't have to pay your dues to get to ze top and will probably be a 4' deep dusty trench by mid June, same as Moosehouse. Too bad, I absolutely LOVE riding it but it gets any more blown it's going to move from fun to dumb. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Moosehouse was mostly like that last Friday. Not too bad, but I'm certainly not surprised to hear your report. Was Mojave open? I rode Silver Queen after finding out Mojave was still closed last Friday. Agree that SQ is in good shape.

What is the preferred descent when it's this dry? I rode red bull the same day and it's getting quite loose. CMG maybe? But I think the upper section is 2-way
    I didn't see anything to indicate that Mojave would be closed, I assume it's G2G.
    Preferred descent is a good question. I tend to go to Moosehouse when I'm in the area as even when it's blown to shit it's fun and I still have to commit to all the drops. Moosepoop is cool but I don't like the pavement finish so I tend to get on GraveDigger then 4:20 and Sweeney's (bouncy as hell) or Flat Cable/Jennys, neither of which are conducive to hauling ass in my book (not a bad thing as it's usually dark by the time I get there). If I'm closer to PC proper I usually pick CMG over Spiro. It sees less traffic (including hikers) and doesn't have as many corners to turn into giant craters. RedBull is cool and once things are dry it's not any looser than the other options and is more exciting.

I didn't see anything to indicate that Mojave would be closed, I assume it's G2G
    Thanks. There was a large sign across the trail at the top that said Closed. I don't know if that was due to conditions or trail work? I'll check it out next time I'm up that way.

Mtn trails keeps it closed until it’s fully dried out to protect it, same with SQ.
    Rode up keystone, big mess of downed trees before silver lake. Lower apex and upper cmg are in great shape.
    File that mm to jennis section of CMG under trials that should be one way, you can go wayyyyyyy too fast on that.
    Hoping to hit Black Forest soon before the crowds find out about it, luckily there are still a lot of old school trails below MM that are too tight for the kids these days.
    First downed tree on pine cone is a mile up, I turned around.
    This was my last week of riding pcmr pre-5pm as I’m trading my 6-2 for a new, grown up 9-5, only took me until 33 to do so, had nearly 10 years here riding midweek without crowds. Was nearly empty on the trials from 1-4pm.

Name:	61300139561__CFF7EE06-C95E-467E-BF10-E1959B476022.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	330679

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Mtn trails keeps it closed until it’s fully dried out to protect it, same with SQ.
    Rode up keystone, big mess of downed trees before silver lake. Lower apex and upper cmg are in great shape.
    File that mm to jennis section of CMG under trials that should be one way, you can go wayyyyyyy too fast on that.
    Hoping to hit Black Forest soon before the crowds find out about it, luckily there are still a lot of old school trails below MM that are too tight for the kids these days.
    First downed tree on pine cone is a mile up, I turned around.
    This was my last week of riding pcmr pre-5pm as I’m trading my 6-2 for a new, grown up 9-5, only took me until 33 to do so, had nearly 10 years here riding midweek without crowds. Was nearly empty on the trials from 1-4pm.
    Thanks for the report, that's some good info! Agree that CMG is dangerously fast and would be less sketch as a one way.
    You've been way lucky with that schedule!! I ride PC from 5:30PM (if I'm lucky to get out early) until dark, smack in the middle of the rush. I was surrounded by cars with bike racks from the time I got off I-80 yesterday, talked to 3 groups in the lot, passed about 30 people on Armstrong (groups of up to 8), and got back down to find about 12 different clusters of people hanging out drinking beers. Everyone was psyched and pleasant the whole time and it didn't bother me one bit but the thought of riding for 2 hours with no people in sight still makes me drool...

Mojave was G2G today, no closure sign, no wetness, fast sticky dirt. Somehow I had never ridden it, that hole in my resume is now filled.
    Black Forest is also primo, there is 1 patch of snow left just before getting to the intersection with Evil Empire. The flat section that follows has a bunch of deadfall, I pulled 2 skinny trees down but the other 3 or so are too big for one person to move. There are 2 HUGE aspens in the trail immediately after the junction with 9k Trail and one a bit further down the flowy section that could be bad news, it sneaks up on you rather fast. I ate shit hard crossing the steep snowfield on Bow Hunter, turns out mtb shoes don't work as well as ski boots to kick step. Also got screamed at by a party who thought I was poaching the 9K Trail, had to have a chat with them about calming the fuck down, riding the first 100' allows you to avoid a huge snowfield blocking Corvair and I was done hiking in snow for the day. Payroll is running great and doubles as a bike wash with the creek running high.

I had an interesting encounter with an aggressive dusky grouse on Fat Lip. I was slogging across one of the rooty meadows and saw this fat bird walking down the trail heading my way. I figured it would notice me and bolt (which is what always happens in the winter with grouses) but he had other thoughts and came straight at me to attack my tire. I got off the bike and he must have realized that my leg was less puncture-proof than a DHF because he ran under the frame and pinched the shit out of me. I pushed him off with my foot (didn't want to kick him, figured he had a lady friend nesting close by, who am I to interrupt his date) but he came right back for more brawling. I hopped on the bike to flee but he kept coming and managed to peck me a couple of times while I was spinning away. I dropped him on the downhill and escaped with my tail between my legs. Lost my honor in a duel with a grouse, I think it's all over for me.

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Mojave was G2G today, no closure sign, no wetness, fast sticky dirt. Somehow I had never ridden it, that hole in my resume is now filled.
    Black Forest is also primo, there is 1 patch of snow left just before getting to the intersection with Evil Empire. The flat section that follows has a bunch of deadfall, I pulled 2 skinny trees down but the other 3 or so are too big for one person to move. There are 2 HUGE aspens in the trail immediately after the junction with 9k Trail and one a bit further down the flowy section that could be bad news, it sneaks up on you rather fast. I ate shit hard crossing the steep snowfield on Bow Hunter, turns out mtb shoes don't work as well as ski boots to kick step. Also got screamed at by a party who thought I was poaching the 9K Trail, had to have a chat with them about calming the fuck down, riding the first 100' allows you to avoid a huge snowfield blocking Corvair and I was done hiking in snow for the day. Payroll is running great and doubles as a bike wash with the creek running high.

I had an interesting encounter with an aggressive dusky grouse on Fat Lip. I was slogging across one of the rooty meadows and saw this fat bird walking down the trail heading my way. I figured it would notice me and bolt (which is what always happens in the winter with grouses) but he had other thoughts and came straight at me to attack my tire. I got off the bike and he must have realized that my leg was less puncture-proof than a DHF because he ran under the frame and pinched the shit out of me. I pushed him off with my foot (didn't want to kick him, figured he had a lady friend nesting close by, who am I to interrupt his date) but he came right back for more brawling. I hopped on the bike to flee but he kept coming and managed to peck me a couple of times while I was spinning away. I dropped him on the downhill and escaped with my tail between my legs. Lost my honor in a duel with a grouse, I think it's all over for me.
    Apparently "his" name is Gretchen. Mountain Trails Foundation said to watch out for her. Guess you aren't her only enemy, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Apparently "his" name is Gretchen. Mountain Trails Foundation said to watch out for her. Guess you aren't her only enemy, lol.
    Shit that was a female? I thought only the males were territorial and aggressive. Now I'm really glad I didn't run into a dude grouse, he probably would have shot me on sight.

Edit: found the post, one of the few reasons to miss not being on FB. Gretchen is a good name. Wonder if anyone looked under he skirt to confirm the gender, she sure looked like a male based on pics but I'm no avian expert.

Shit that was a female? I thought only the males were territorial and aggressive. Now I'm really glad I didn't run into a dude grouse, he probably would have shot me on sight.

Edit: found the post, one of the few reasons to miss not being on FB. Gretchen is a good name. Wonder if anyone looked under he skirt to confirm the gender, she sure looked like a male based on pics but I'm no avian expert.
    I was gonna post the screenshot but the GD iphone app won't let me post screenshots. Glad you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I was gonna post the screenshot but the GD iphone app won't let me post screenshots. Glad you found it.
    It's amazing that she's attacked enough people that they actually mentioned it in a post. I used to only worry about moose around PC, now I have to keep an eye out for birds...

That was hilarious. It's a crying shame there was no witnesses or video.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  36.0 KB

That was hilarious. It's a crying shame there was no witnesses or video.
    Definitely to the video part. My emasculating biking story was when I was riding lifts at Sundance. Some bug bit me in the chest riding up with the wife. I yelled out loud and picked it out of my shirt and it was....a lady bug. Wife laughed and laughed until I pulled up my shirt and saw it drew blood. Then she was like holy shit!

But still, a lady bug? I don’t even believe it.

Wasatch Dirt Thread

65, overcast, good dirt, no people. Almost felt a little PNW’y out there tonight.

Name:	IMG_2458.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	330757

Anyone heard anything about PC lifts spinning for bikes this season?

Last I heard, vail is being very cautious. The golf course at canyons isn’t even open yet, and that’s a much higher dollar draw for the business, I think it would be optimistic for it to happen before mid July. I can pry some and see what I can find out. For one, I’ve been happy with the lack of tourists riding around the jennis area, it’s pretty clear that any issue I’ve had in the past with downhill traffic not yielding or hikers on loose moose/lower CMG getting pissed at your high speed descending has been strictly tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"