Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Anybody know the down tree situation on the Coyote Canyon ridge loop since the wind storm? Talked to a guy who rode up WOW yesterday who said there were about 50 trees down.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 09-10-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Was supposed to climb tonight but my partner bailed. I got lucky and met up with mar123 and we still were able to cruise some slabs

12 days of silence? What the hell is happening here??

I made my great come back to riding bikes on Sunday, 2 months post head-bonk and wrist-snap. Got a TroyLee wrist brace that seem to really help considering I still have serious pain from cartilage and probably ligament damage. Rode MoPi which is undergoing yet another re-design, they're now working on the long flat section between Little Dell and the first road crossing. Looks like the goal is to make the trail more playful by adding a ton of gentle turns, I suspect it's mostly designed to prevent idiots like me from riding it at full speed and scattering pious families out on a Sunday stroll...

I was hoping to take it easy on the downhill by following Ms Boissal who's typically rather timid on loose stuff. Apparently getting on a 29er turned her into a raging monster, she dropped me a few times plowing through stuff while I was picking my way around rocks like grandma testing a new walker. It didn't help that it was my first time on the new rig and I was running the Mezzer 10 PSI too high. Manitou's recommended setting are a bit on the agressive side... Anyway, it's good to be rolling around on dirt again!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Some Moab stoke of gf from last weekend:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200920_115220.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	562.0 KB 
ID:	341041

Name:	20200920_114106.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	547.1 KB 
ID:	341042

Name:	20200919_130813.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	672.0 KB 
ID:	341043

Had a "things that amuse you" moment on LCC quarry trail last night.
    Caught up to a rider on the way down and since I'm trying to avoid getting aggro until my wrist feels 100% I decided to stay behind him. Dude rolled over what looked like a really dark branch and as I went by I realized it was a saddle. What?
    It was getting dark but one look was enough to see that he was basically riding above a telescopic dildo. I shouted at him that he had lost his seat, he looked back in confusion, probably thought I was being an asshole wanting him to pull over so I could pass, and raged on. I caught up with him and repeated what I never thought I'd say: dude, you lost your saddle. He yanked on the brakes, barely avoided sodomy, looked down, and wasn't even surprised to see the post with the clamp flopping around. Said he had it coming. The saddle was a few hundred yards back and he seemed reluctant to go get it. I offered to go with him since he didn't have any tools but he told me he'd just put it in his pocket and ride down. OK then...

Ran into his buddy at the powerplant who asked if I had seen someone splayed out in the bushes after a crash. Told him the story and he just shook his head, apparently it's not the first time lack of bike maintenance threatens the guy's anal integrity.
    Last edited by Boissal; 09-24-2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling, or the lack thereof
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

one in a million shot doc...

fall vibes...

Name:	IMG_4161.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	341286

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	341287

Name:  IMG_41672.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  722.7 KB
    Last edited by mar123; 09-25-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Crest is running pretty good. Moondust no more

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For no good reason in particular I had never ridden much of the trails down by Brian Head. Other than a couple days at the bike park a long time ago for a DH race. They’ve got some really great trails down that way.

Name:	IMG_3381.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	341686

Name:	djf05536.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	341687

The leaves are just starting to turn, at least at the upper elevations.

I also stopped to check out the new’ish trails in Richfield on the way back. Anyone ridden down there?

Name:	IMG_3385.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	341688

Pretty fun. Kind of like a mini captain ahab. Trailforks says this trail has a 15 foot drop with a smaller 8 foot option. It’s really more like 6 and 3. Seems like a good zone for the whole family, mostly greens and blues with a couple of blacks. Its a little loose right now but I could see it being pretty fun after some moisture. Might be a good option for day trips in the winter when you don't want to drive all the way to moab but are looking for dry dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I also stopped to check out the new’ish trails in Richfield on the way back. Anyone ridden down there?
    I stopped by last fall on my way back from a climbing trip, fun stuff, some So Ut vibes smack in the middle of the central UT wasteland. Good way to shake the legs. When you're done if you have time to spare drive another hour N and hit the Ephraim trail complex, nothing to write home about but it breaks up the drive.

I drove a bit further than usual Sat to check out the Strawberry Narrows trail with Ms Boissal. 24ish miles out and back for the whole thing, definitely worth doing once a year. The first 3 miles are gorgeous singletrack in and out of the aspens above the water. After that it it's in and out of the pines with some chunky sections and punchy little climbs and constant views of the water. It finishes with 4 miles of high-speed flat trail in tall grass at the edge of the water. The views are awesome right now, the trees are on fire, and there's nobody around. We saw 10x more deer than boaters and had a huge bald eagle grace us with a proximity flight right at sunset.

Name:	PXL_20200926_221646098.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	341696

Name:	PXL_20200926_223029471.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	341698

Name:	PXL_20200927_003703096.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	341700

It has been way, way too long since I rode Blowhard. Man, that picture brings back memories.

Strawberry Narrows is kick-ass XC riding, been a long time for that one, too. It's like a narrower Mid Mountain with lake views and 1% of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's like a narrower Mid Mountain with lake views and 1% of the people.
    Very accurate. Apparently traffic has increased and the deadfall is better managed but the thorny shrub encroaching from the sides will definitely make itself known!

Richfield is great, rode down there when picking up the pup. Nice climb up, the upper stuff should be good once the rest of the phases are completed, but right now it kind of peters out after the top of carin-age and kiln-it. Rode up to hiline, which was very short but fun, and rode up lower faulty to juniper drop and back down lower faulty, then down cairn-age. Will be back. Talking about SO.UT, stopped in Fillmore after my Antelope hunt, Tacos Los Panchos is fantastic. I think I'd stop there over El Jefe in Cedar.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

It has been way, way too long since I rode Blowhard. Man, that picture brings back memories.
    That is a ripping descent! I felt like I was moving pretty good down it but was a ways off from the top 10 on strava. Probably because I stopped to take that pic

I also really liked the Bunker Creek trails which it sounds like got a recent rebuild because of the fire. I got some mixed info about Dark Hollow, it may not technically be open yet but sounds like it's rideable.

High school team racing tour de suds tonight. I’d avoid it.

You’re welcome

Stopped by carpet canyon for a grande PSL at lunch.

Name:	IMG_3411.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	341903

That place is rough right now. Made my hands hurt and had me considering a fork service.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/8551360/

Anyone know anything about these trails in fish lake NF? Thinking about trying to run this and check out those richfield trails this weekend.

Otherwise, potentially up to logan canyon/bear lake (never been there). What's the word on 2 rides to hit there?

Up by Bear Lake I thought both Steam Mill and Long Hollow were fun, raw downhills. Lots of options to create loops or extend them into longer rides. TF also says Stump Hollow is fun but I haven't ridden that yet.

I haven't ridden down by Fish Lake but have heard there is some good, rough trails down that way. It's on the to-do list.

Logan Canyon trails can be seriously hammered by cows. Not saying you shouldn't go or that they are for sure right now, but it's definitely a possibility after a long dry summer.

Besides what dfinn said, White Pine/Bunchgrass is cool. Stump Hollow is fun, not amazing but fun, mellower than Steam Mill or Long Hollow. Jardine Juniper is pretty reminiscent of Mueller Park. Stuff I haven't ridden but looks promising is Richards Revenge/Richards Hollow and the Ricks Canyon/Steel Canyon loop.

I had sort of forgotten but now that you mention it, I did run into some trails up that way that were completely destroyed by cows. Not all of them but definitely lots of cows in that Franklin Basin area.

I've also heard that the Richards Hollow area has some good riding. Need to get up there on the moto and check it out.

Any other fun destinations for a quick getaway this weekend that aren't as far as the moab or SW desert? I like payson canyon too but trying to not step foot in utah county right now. And those trails are always cow-hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Any other fun destinations for a quick getaway this weekend that aren't as far as the moab or SW desert?
    Ogden? North and South Skyline would make a fun weekend. Diamond Fork?

I like payson canyon too but trying to not step foot in utah county right now. And those trails are always cow-hammered.
    Hah, yeah, Payson is great but that's strictly an early summer zone.

Ogden? North and South Skyline would make a fun weekend. Diamond Fork?

Hah, yeah, Payson is great but that's strictly an early summer zone.
    Had no idea diamond fork had MTB trails

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Had no idea diamond fork had MTB trails
    There were some indefinite COVID closures in that area that may be worth looking into.

ETA: looks like the general area is still closed

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcn...ea/?recid=9861

That actually reads to me like just a very small area of trails are closed. Essentially just the hot springs and trail to it. There's a lot down there.