Page 31 of 101 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Don't put away the orange quite yet. Deer hunt just started Saturday and late season hunts run until 1st of the year. As far as your other comments about hunting, what you find pathetic isn't necessarily based in reality. I helped my son harvest a cow elk on Big Mountain a week or so ago, and in that situation, we were 3 miles in and a half a mile off the trail. But I wouldn't have discouraged him from shooting something a quarter mile from the truck if the opportunity presented itself legally and safely. I don't consider either of us fat fucks
    Seriously. Most of us who hunt want to be far away from your mixed use trail. Could bump an animal out I guess, but we’re there long before you are in most cases and are far away from this type of traffic.

I’d similarly harvest an animal if the opportunity presented, drag it off the trail and gut it away from the path. But I’m not dragging an animal distance to avoid the wrath of audobon society members or bird watchers that are anti hunter. This isn’t a pack in pack out situation and folks with a problem over this probably have come across natural kills that smell yucky and moved about their day without much of a second thought. It’ll be gone soon.

Don't put away the orange quite yet. Deer hunt just started Saturday and late season hunts run until 1st of the year. As far as your other comments about hunting, what you find pathetic isn't necessarily based in reality. I helped my son harvest a cow elk on Big Mountain a week or so ago, and in that situation, we were 3 miles in and a half a mile off the trail. But I wouldn't have discouraged him from shooting something a quarter mile from the truck if the opportunity presented itself legally and safely. I don't consider either of us fat fucks
    Again, my observations are based on a sample of the crowd hunting right off the Big Mtn pass lot (and all along that road). In that group the average gut size prevents people from seeing their feet and I doubt they'd be able to run 100' uphill or walk a miles without keeling over. I'm sure looks are deceptive and some can move far and fast (which is why I don't get to see them) but most are fat fucks (which isn't my problem) and some have a piss poor attitude given that they're cruising on mixed-use trails and have the ability to go a bit furter out, unlike me and my bike (it becomes my problem when they express their discontent).

Re: taking down an elk 5 minutes from the trailhead, I'm sure it's nicer than hauling your meat 12 miles through brush after a kill. At some point the ratio of effort to reward stops making sense but I personally feel like it goes both ways. I don't hunt though so clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Everyone carry one doing their thing, hunting or biking, and I'll continue wearing bright colors til it's time to ski.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Summit County on a less ridden trail
    Curious which trail... I love the Hunters Trail connecting Canyons and Mid Mtn but I may hold off on riding it until spring if there are some salty shooters out there

Thanks, thats deeper into Summit Co than I normally venture but will make sure to be vigilant in that area

all the more reason to never leave the shoreline I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Curious which trail... I love the Hunters Trail connecting Canyons and Mid Mtn but I may hold off on riding it until spring if there are some salty shooters out there
    You shouldn't have to worry about hunter's trail, its 100% on private property, minus a small section of SLC Municipal land. I highly doubt anyone is (legally) hunting up there.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Re: taking down an elk 5 minutes from the trailhead, I'm sure it's nicer than hauling your meat 12 miles through brush after a kill. At some point the ratio of effort to reward stops making sense but I personally feel like it goes both ways. I don't hunt though so clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Yeah, you typically just take elk where you find them. And you don't walk past ones you see to find ones you don't. And you dress them where they fall, and the remains get left there as well. I get it, there are shitty hunters with bad attitudes. You're definitely dealing with the low end of the spectrum on a high use trail in a high use area if they are annoyed that other people are there. Most hunters hate those guys too.

I've biked WAY more than I've hunted, and I've honestly had a lot of the same reactions that you've had in past, but it's easy to paint with a broad brush when you aren't involved in that activity. None of this is meant as a call out, I just want to continue to enjoy both activities and squash the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    You shouldn't have to worry about hunter's trail, its 100% on private property, minus a small section of SLC Municipal land. I highly doubt anyone is (legally) hunting up there.
    I've seen 2 hunting parties up there in the past few weeks, they were both on the SLC Municipal Land section. The section isn't that small, seems like as good a spot to hunt as any except for the bikes

Yeah, you typically just take elk where you find them. And you don't walk past ones you see to find ones you don't. And you dress them where they fall, and the remains get left there as well. I get it, there are shitty hunters with bad attitudes. You're definitely dealing with the low end of the spectrum on a high use trail in a high use area if they are annoyed that other people are there. Most hunters hate those guys too.

I've biked WAY more than I've hunted, and I've honestly had a lot of the same reactions that you've had in past, but it's easy to paint with a broad brush when you aren't involved in that activity. None of this is meant as a call out, I just want to continue to enjoy both activities and squash the hate.
    All good points.

To be fair I should have mentioned that I've had many more positive interactions with hunters than I've had bad ones. In general they involved them pulling off to the side of the trail, me slowing way down, an exchange of "how's it going, great how about you, beautiful day out uh, it sure is, we don't see many bikers out here, that's because I'm not a very smart biker, ha ha ha, bla bla bla, have a great one guys", and then we continued on our merry way. Hard to fault people who are out and about enjoying their day even if it's not in my prefered way to do so. It's not like they're throwing beer cans out of the window or tagging boulders in LCC or deepening the break bumps all over PC or [insert twat move we've all witnessed in the outdoors].

There was no hate per se but consider it squashed nonetheless. I'm a grumpy asshole and rarely bother to talk about the things that went well, I'd rather shit and moan about the few that didn't. Basically I'm your average Yelp reviewer
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Possum, raccoons and moose with sunset

Biking tonight in the 40’s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1603248545.180339.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	410.4 KB 
ID:	344254

Name:	Image1603248557.435496.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	344255

Name:	Image1603248572.422718.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	344256

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Name:	IMG_9610.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	344266

Wish I had a GoPro for this one. Had to stop and take a snap. Full on full speed into blinding sun foliage tunnel. The light was insane at times, felt like I was on a Bike Mag (RIP) cover.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I am a hunter. I see illegal hunters in park city all the time. 99% of them are bow guys trying to sneak in and out unseen. I've only seen three guys with rifles over the years. They clearly didn't know they were breaking the law and were all decked out in blaze orange. One of them was stalking a herd in the residential portion of sun peak. He and his boy were breaking all sorts of laws!

It would take an incredible dumb ass to shoot a cyclist. Not saying it's impossible, but shouldn't be at the top of your list of worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    There was no hate per se but consider it squashed nonetheless. I'm a grumpy asshole and rarely bother to talk about the things that went well, I'd rather shit and moan about the few that didn't. Basically I'm your average Yelp reviewer

Ha, hate was too strong a descriptor. And being grumpy about shit that makes me happy is my shtick.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    One of them was stalking a herd in the residential portion of sun peak. He and his boy were breaking all sorts of laws!
    Wow. At least in Utah a lower percentage of hunters are drunk compared to other states

New Arcylon trail(s?) look promising. Wonder if they will be in before the snow.

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	344357

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    New Arcylon trail(s?) look promising. Wonder if they will be in before the snow.
    Well that's an interesting development. It would probably be better if they didn't open until spring so the winter moisture can pack them down well.

What's LCC from tanner's down to the ruins like? Feel free to PM if that's best. Desolation/mill d techy? Or like rock garden upon rock garden techy?

Trends strongly towards the latter. I don't see much need for PMs and secrecy, the FS has known about it for over a decade seems to give no shits about everything below Tanners.

eta: Like brutah, I think it's fun, and it's not 100% rock garden, but it's not Mill D for damn sure. It's a "love it or hate it" trail, like Beartrap.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    What's LCC from tanner's down to the ruins like? Feel free to PM if that's best. Desolation/mill d techy? Or like rock garden upon rock garden techy?
    Its fun as fuck in my opinion. I don't like the last rock garden as its pretty flat and I haven't been able to carry enough speed though it to clean it yet. The rest has great mix of flow and tech.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Its fun as fuck in my opinion. I don't like the last rock garden as its pretty flat and I haven't been able to carry enough speed though it to clean it yet. The rest has great mix of flow and tech.
    I'll echo this comment. Clearing the last flat section is an exercise in timing and balance - or you can spin as hard as possible and bounce off stuff hoping it will work. The rest is super fun, even more so now that entrance is not a flowing river. Some of the steep drops are a bit sketchy if you don't scout them (maybe because I'm a beater) but once you know where you're going you can really move fast through the whole thing. I "rode" up it the first time cause I'm an idiot but it gave me time to look at the lines. Best to take the road.
    Linked with Cool Way and Flanders it makes for a really got stretch of tech riding. The exit to Flanders is all times in my book, although the big flood of last year brought in an annoying amount of sand and gravel.

Lower Flanders needs some love. I do a lot of trail work in there (built the lower section after the landslide), it needs 6-8 man hours of attention to fix some blowouts.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Lower Flanders needs some love. I do a lot of trail work in there (built the lower section after the landslide), it needs 6-8 man hours of attention to fix some blowouts.
    I ride that trail enough. Let's do an after work dig.

And yeah, that last rock garden is pretty tough. I've one dabbed it and was pretty stoked about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Happy to help!
    I always thought it ended at the huge washout from last season but when I rode it last week I realized it kept going all the way to the bridge. I tried that last section, mucho fun but I agree, it could use some help.