Page 16 of 101 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    No specific time or vert requirements. Just want to ride something high quality! Found an old Springsproject TR and was able to sleuth out the name and location, so I may do that. There is some desire to ride RAT again also, with the proper ending this time.

what is RAT?

Ride around Timp

Ah, cool. Haven't done any riding down there but I probably should.

Last I heard the GWT descent from Big Baldy pass was in pretty rough shape between the washouts and overgrowth, but that was a few years ago. If you liked the Timp riding you'd enjoy the other riding in American Fork. Starting at Tibble Fork res. going up Mill Canyon to 157 to South Fork Little Deer Creek to 157 to Tibble Fork DH is a sweet 4-5 hour loop.

Have you ridden anything in BCC besides Crest? Days Fork and Honeycomb are both awesome and could be combined into one ride.

One of my favorite trails in the Wasatch is the Alta Dry Fork section of GWT in upper AF. Incredibly scenic and a rad remote descent. There's no easy way to ride it through, especially without a shuttle. One big loop I've had my eye on for years is to start at Snowbird, ride up to Alta and Catherine's Pass, descend the ADF trail and some jeep road to Mineral Basin, then climb back up to Hidden Peak and descend the Snowbird BMT. Though, now that I've typed all that, there may still be too much snow for this still, but it's worth checking LCC webcams.

All that said, I wouldn't fault you for just doing the Ben Lomond traverse again. That's the crown jewel of Wasatch riding as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks DTM, that gives me some options to look at! I think I have paper maps for most of the area now.

The only ride I've done in BCC is the Crest. Once from the Mill Creek side doing the Crest the wrong way, and once from Park City side (Guardsman actually) doing the loop the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    One of my favorite trails in the Wasatch is the Alta Dry Fork section of GWT in upper AF. Incredibly scenic and a rad remote descent. There's no easy way to ride it through, especially without a shuttle. One big loop I've had my eye on for years is to start at Snowbird, ride up to Alta and Catherine's Pass, descend the ADF trail and some jeep road to Mineral Basin, then climb back up to Hidden Peak and descend the Snowbird BMT. Though, now that I've typed all that, there may still be too much snow for this still, but it's worth checking LCC webcams.
    I want IIINNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I want IIINNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
    I won't be doing it this year, or maybe even next year, so go do it and let me know just how dumb it is. The grind back up Mineral is probably Type 3 fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    One of my favorite trails in the Wasatch is the Alta Dry Fork section of GWT in upper AF. Incredibly scenic and a rad remote descent.
    Is that the same as 157 going off the backside of Alta?

Yep.

Catherine’s to 157 to Holman is pretty high on my list, just logistically challenging.

Has it been a while since you rode it? The last time I rode that section I wasn't in a rush to do it again. Washed out, deep moto rut. That was probably 2 seasons ago though.

Pretty sure I last rode it in 2017. That sucks to hear. It always had some moto ruts but mostly the fun sporty variety.

Spent some time looking at maps last night. Those rides all look awesome Dan! From webcams it looks like higher elevations above Alta/Snowbird may have too much snow. Snowbird lists Big Mtn as closed. The other ride I'd seen that looked cool was Santaquin Peak. But that's even higher. South facing aspect, though.

Need to dig into trail conditions a bit more. Likely identify some rides that have nearby, lower elevation options. I think a second trip this summer is in order. SLC is an easy trip for a 4 day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The other ride I'd seen that looked cool was Santaquin Peak. But that's even higher. South facing aspect, though. .
    I was down in that area this week on the moto and I don't recall seeing any snow down there. They definitely get quite a bit less snow down there than LCC or BCC gets.

We did the alta to American fork canyon ride last fall. Left a car at tibble fork and got a drop off at alta. The descent from alta on 157 was pretty chewed up and rocky, but it was actually pretty fun. 20 miles. Alot of type 2 fun. Going to do it again this fall.

Apologies in advance for the thread drift but would anyone in and around SLC have a lockring tool I could borrow to remove a chainring on a Shimano direct mount crankset? Looking for a ParkTool LRT-4 or Shimano TL-Fc41, 6-pack of your choice if I can come pick it up, swap the rings, and return it to you. I don't even need to take it with me, I'll do that stuff in your driveway.

I can't find one in stock anywhere around SLC and with the COVID delays I don't think I'll get it delivered for 1+ week. I promised Ms Boissal that I'd put together her new bike in no time, including the oval ring for her creaky knees, and obviously didn't check that I had everything I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Spent some time looking at maps last night. Those rides all look awesome Dan! From webcams it looks like higher elevations above Alta/Snowbird may have too much snow. Snowbird lists Big Mtn as closed. The other ride I'd seen that looked cool was Santaquin Peak. But that's even higher. South facing aspect, though.

Need to dig into trail conditions a bit more. Likely identify some rides that have nearby, lower elevation options. I think a second trip this summer is in order. SLC is an easy trip for a 4 day weekend.
    Santaquin Peak is a good time, especially if you pedal the road up to the Loafer TH from The Grotto so you can do the Bennie Creek DH at the end. A lot of HAB going up but good descending going down. Unlikely you'll see anyone up there. Snow should not be a problem.

I'll join Boissal on the thread drift. Anyone in the SLC area have a headset bearing cup press I could borrow in exchange for a 6-pack or something? Need to install a ZS44/56 in a carbon frame and don't want to hack it up with a homemade solution.

Also, to add something of value to the thread, apparently someone ripped out the signs halfway down bobsled. Not sure what that's all about.

I made my own out of bolt, washers and nuts, worked pretty well. You can use it or just swing by me and we'll install your headset

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    I'll join Boissal on the thread drift. Anyone in the SLC area have a headset bearing cup press I could borrow in exchange for a 6-pack or something? Need to install a ZS44/56 in a carbon frame and don't want to hack it up with a homemade solution.

Also, to add something of value to the thread, apparently someone ripped out the signs halfway down bobsled. Not sure what that's all about.
    I made my own out of bolt, washers and nuts, worked pretty well. You can use it or just swing by me and we'll install your headset

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'm climbing BMT to Hidden Peak Sunday 8am from White Pine.

all this talk of Ben Lomond...Pleasant evening with some cloud cover.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDE91B32-714B-47DA-A90D-FF6C4D1CA0C3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	713.8 KB 
ID:	332860

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BA57A86-C7B3-4F20-9377-9E80B27D1E93.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	419.1 KB 
ID:	332861
    Out n Back starting from bottom of Pioneer East trail, all clear to the top. Few branches need to be trimmed.

FYI North Ogden Canyon road is closed/under construction. It is possible to drive up or pedal to the North Ogden divide TH from the Ogden side but you may get ticketed or run off the road by an angry semi truck driver. Seems kinda silly to shut the whole road down when the construction is on the Nordic Valley side.

Brush fire in Lehi near Corner Canyon. Houses evacuated, Red Flag conditions this afternoon.

Article says it was started by fireworks. C'mon people, it was super windy last night.

Stay safe everyone.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46770371...saturday-night

Pm sent boissal

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"