Page 43 of 101 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2514
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Have I got a Facebook group for you.....
    Just spit my drink threw my nose. Thanks for that.

It might be redundant but, feel free to add comments to the new questionnaire.... Again. Losers of the original battle often come back later to overthrow previous victories. Winners become losers and losers win. It's kind of like cleaning out the dishwasher filter trap, if you keep after it you get clean dishes but in the end the amount of work is similar to just washing the dishes by hand.

I'm kind of keen on the phase 3 ascent to the top of Wire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0685.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	375616

No balloons to be found but an odd find. Tommy’s to yurt is doable, 2 downed trees and some snow avoidance, silver queen has a tree down in the first corner but is otherwise g2g.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Just spit my drink threw my nose. Thanks for that.
    Don't encourage him.

No signs of any trail closures up above shoreline last night.

Name:	IMG_5018.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	375643

^^Definitely looks bushy

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    Well I scratched an itch today and did the skyline drive-north Holbrook ride. The verdict is...not really worth it. The bottom half of the trail is quite fun and has a mini luge section, but the top is mega steep, mega loose and not that fun, especially with some inconvenient snow patches. I love jank but the ROI on this one was a bit off. I did finish the loop with a bountiful dh lap which is running great post storm.
    Well shit, I was planning on trying Holbrook this weekend after having such a grand time of Parrish.
    Sounds like if these 2 could be magically linked at the halfway point they'd be the greatest DH ever...
    Any snow left from the top of Skyline to the top of Holbrook? Looking at the satellite I figured they'd be a few patches but it would be doable. I'm not keen on snow-slogging after Parrish.

While we're on the topic of this area, does anyone have experience with some of the other big DHs which drop off Skyline or GWT? Stone Creek just north of Hollbrook, Kenny Creek right of Sessions Mtn, the Mill Creek trail just south of that, the Grandview rigdeline (based on winter visits there's probably a fair bit of HAB on that one but it might be worth it just to summit Grandview again)? I have dreams of the Meadow Trail which drops into City Creek after hiking it last year, it's infinitely brushy but such a cool drainage... You could send most of that then slog up to Black Mtn via Smuggler's trail (HAB) then send Black Mtn down to 70s bush for some megadventure ride...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Don't encourage him.
    You just wish you had a FezzzZzari and bro truck to fit in over there.... Wait. Nevermind.

any Beta on Mid Mountain between PCMR and DV? TIA

I'd hazard you'd be off and walking a bit. Its drying out scary fast. Rode the King road-tommys and then silver queen to Jenni's sections of MM, good, but had to get off over some snow and trees here and there. I would say that if we have 3-5 days with some warmer temps up there the snow will be mostly gone, but its all on the ski trails, not in the woods. heard armstrong is g2g to MM, and a bit of a blowdown fest between there and Spiro. Knowing that PCMR-DV section, id think the easterly aspect is probably holding a bit more snow and there will be trees down, the crew's haven't got that high yet. DV groomers are still way more snowy than PCMR groomers.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Well shit, I was planning on trying Holbrook this weekend after having such a grand time of Parrish.
    Sounds like if these 2 could be magically linked at the halfway point they'd be the greatest DH ever...
    Any snow left from the top of Skyline to the top of Holbrook? Looking at the satellite I figured they'd be a few patches but it would be doable. I'm not keen on snow-slogging after Parrish.
    There’s some snow, not a lot. I think I probably walked a few hundred feet at most. And the snow on the actual trail should be gone very soon. I will need to go do Parrish soon for a comparison. There’s also two moto trails that branch off skyline between the top of the DH and the ridge that might be worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ^^Definitely looks bushy
    quite smooth actually, you should have seen it before the cleanup.

There’s some snow, not a lot. I think I probably walked a few hundred feet at most. And the snow on the actual trail should be gone very soon. I will need to go do Parrish soon for a comparison. There’s also two moto trails that branch off skyline between the top of the DH and the ridge that might be worth exploring.
    I saw those on the Skyline climb and was very tempted to drop in instead of slogging the last snowy mile. There's also the trail which cuts the Skyline road a bunch of times, listed on TF. Lots of options up there. Wonder if any of the stuff on the E side of the ridge is worth it. Drops you into no man's land though...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I saw those on the Skyline climb and was very tempted to drop in instead of slogging the last snowy mile. There's also the trail which cuts the Skyline road a bunch of times, listed on TF. Lots of options up there. Wonder if any of the stuff on the E side of the ridge is worth it. Drops you into no man's land though...
    The trail that intersects skyline is the DH, and if you haven’t ridden it, you should before it turns to dust for the summer. Awesome old school dh. One of those upper moto trails is not on TF which is odd (wadsworth trail), and I started the Tuttle loop to hit great western, but then thought better of committing to 1k HAB with limited water. Next time.

The trail that intersects skyline is the DH, and if you haven’t ridden it, you should before it turns to dust for the summer. Awesome old school dh. One of those upper moto trails is not on TF which is odd (wadsworth trail), and I started the Tuttle loop to hit great western, but then thought better of committing to 1k HAB with limited water. Next time.
    Good beta, thanks, will have to check out that DH. Tuttle is a beatdown uh? Looks quite appealing on the map as an option to get off the dust road but the elevation profile looks a bit worrisome.

This lady moose was having dinner in the brush on Flying Dawg last night, took me a minute to go around slowly enough to avoid spooking her:

Name:	PXL_20210528_020505664.jpg 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	375875

Better than the herd of elk which ran across the trail 20' from me last week!

I covered myself in glory eating shit in one of the mega-loose Bob's basin switchbacks last night. Came up behind 3 ladies who were super uncomfortable with the looseness, one of them stopped on the outside of the switchback, I tried to do a classy sneak on the inside of the turn complete with nose manual, bumped my front wheel on a big square rock, and smoothly flew OTB. I thought I would pull the perfect roll out of that one but the bike smashed me in the back and I ended up flat on the trail with dirt in my mouth. Stood up to see a whole train of young shredders coming down, at least 20 people got to watch me crater. Surprisingly nobody laughed even though I more than deserved it. Confidence: built.

Talking to myself in here!

Here's a micro TR from yesterday's Big Mtn to Lookout Peak loop. I got shut down by snow on the GWT section last year so I gave it 2 more weeks this time. I figured it would be dry enough to ride yesterday and the holiday crowds would be minimal up there. I was right on both fronts, there were only 3 short snowfields to cross and the crowds were sticking around Little Dell reservoir or partying in the Big Mtn parking lot. Weird vibe but OK, once I got away from there I only saw one runner and a bunch of deer and grouse. Overall a great adventure ride and quite the slog. My 5pm start time was borderline too relaxed, finishing that one in the dark would be a bit problematic.

The climb to Big Mtn is as painful as ever but it's quite scenic right now with mule ears everywhere:

Name:	PXL_20210601_002832229.jpg 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	376164

GWT isn't particularly good riding but at least it's super quiet. Mostly flat with the occasional angry section of loose cobbles. I managed to drop 15 psi and a bunch of sealant after a particularly bouncy section of babyheads.
    The spot which turned me around last year because of snow turned out to be some serious off camber greasy bench trail, fairly committing for being flatish. The brush is, as usual up there, very healthy. Yes, there's a trail somewhere under there:

Name:	PXL_20210601_013015427.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	376165

That's the spot where the knee pads went on, I was tired of getting flogged. Baguette Man approves of this development:

Name:	PXL_20210601_013004375 (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	376168

Next time I do this loop I'm schwacking across the flats and carrying the bike directly to the top of Lookout (one of the 2 snowy knobs in the pic above) because the next section of "trail" isn't worth it. It's a disappearing ribbon of massively off-camber dirt which winds around and over aspens. The wind event of last fall dropped dozens of HUGE trees and I got a solid upper body workout lifting the bike over carnage:

Name:	PXL_20210601_013855734.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	376166

Name:	PXL_20210601_015540186.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	376167

I got to the Lookout ridge at 8 pm feeling super worked (and hoarse from all the shouting while fighting downed aspens). Unfortunately I had never summited Lookout proper, in the winter I approach from the other side and ski shots further to the North. That mean I had to take it to the top with the bike which involved lots of moaning and groaning while HAB up the pissed off ridge. Various topos disagree on which hump is the true summit so I had to go to the last one just to be safe. Sunset summit views never disappoint though, the full central Wasatch skyline in all its glory:

Name:	PXL_20210601_022615097_2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	376170

Grandview and the lake:

Name:	PXL_20210601_023213047_2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	376171

The way home, with one more baby-head climb for good measure:

Name:	PXL_20210601_023221996.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	376172

I took it fairly mellow on the down as I was cooked and low on light. The ridge is steep and mega loose with enough exposure that pitching off would leave you pretty battered. Things occasionally calm down for a stretch and I had to stop in this field of paintbrush:

Name:	PXL_20210601_024718077_2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	376173

The rest is more off camber dusty goodness with enough pitch to really melt some brake pads. I had a couple of spooky moments when the front decided to go explore on its own but I somehow managed to stay on the bike and made it back to pavement with about 5 minutes of light to spare. It's going to take me about a year to forget about the bad parts and I'll be ready to do it again... If anyone is interested hit me up in late May 2022 for a repeat. Combining this with Sheep trail would make for an interesting traverse.

looks awesome. if short on time or suffer enthusiasm, it looks like you could cut out little mountain (and the ridge) and just go back down the bottom of mo pi?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    looks awesome. if short on time or suffer enthusiasm, it looks like you could cut out little mountain (and the ridge) and just go back down the bottom of mo pi?
    Yep, there's a 4-way intersection at the bottom of the Lookout ridge and you can drop back to just before the Affleck campsite then finish on MoPi. Classy linkup is to drop right into Killyon's canyon then climb pavement back to the top of Emigration. It makes a 3000' drop from the peak.

That's a solid evening. 5 pm start without carrying lights is a bold move. Some classic shitfuck adventure riding through those aspens.

Looks like a pretty solid beat down with some great views. That late evening light is awesome.

Hobble creek has been fantastic lately but the cows will be coming out any day now.

Thanks for the TR Boissal, was thinking of doing that ride this week but not sure if I have it in me to deal with all the downed aspen. When you ski Lookout do you start at Killyon's? It looks like fun terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Thanks for the TR Boissal, was thinking of doing that ride this week but not sure if I have it in me to deal with all the downed aspen. When you ski Lookout do you start at Killyon's? It looks like fun terrain.
    I've always done it from the other fork (Burrs), it gets you quite a bit further in there and it's a better access if you want to do Granview. The terrain is spectacular but it's lower elevation S faces so timing is challenging.

Hobble creek has been fantastic lately but the cows will be coming out any day now.
    Damn it, I wanted to get up in there this year and go sidetracked. Same story with AF and Payson canyon. So many miles of trails, so little time and such weak legs!

I want to ride from Farmington Canyon, south on Skyline Drive, south on the GWT back to SLC in the next couple weeks before Skyline Drive opens to vehicles on July 1. Anyone want to go with me? I need someone to help shuttle vehicles.

https://caltopo.com/m/MBE9

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I want to ride from Farmington Canyon, south on Skyline Drive, south on the GWT back to SLC in the next couple weeks before Skyline Drive opens to vehicles on July 1. Anyone want to go with me? I need someone to help shuttle vehicles.

https://caltopo.com/m/MBE9
    I'll drop you off at the start but NFW I'm signing up for that death ride... I've ridden most of that terrain in small sections of 20ish miles and each beat the shit out of me.

I can see the appeal of gravel riding when it looks like this:

Name:	original_4f2e6b7b-9eba-4519-85cb-6ceefff4e2e1_PXL_20210603_012428874.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	376321

The East Canyon beavers have been particularly active lately and built a massive damn right next to the usual crossing. I tried to ride through and buried both wheels to above the axle. The bike sounded like a particularly squeaky shopping cart for the rest of the night. More moose action later on:

Name:	PXL_20210603_021713430_2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	376319

Too bad the mid elevations are about to turn into the surface of the sun. Time to retreat to the high country!