Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    My very first PC ride after moving to UT 15ish years ago was up Spiro and CMG. Back then I thought I was a rad mountain biker because I was shredding Shoreline a lot (didn't have a car and lived on upper campus) and passing all the people. I guess I ran my mouth about it a lot in front of all the fat kids I was in school with. One of them (the least fat one) got tired of my shit and offered to go ride with me. Turns out he was an absolute monster of an XC racer. He put the hurt on me like I had never felt before, I'm sure there are still puddles of my sweat and tears deep below the dust on Spiro. And probably chunks of lungs clinging to branches. If he had made me ride all the way to Crest I'd have died for sure. I didn't set foot in PC for a long time after that and you'd have to give me mad $$$ to make me ride up Spiro these days...
    That's awesome.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Speaking of this, if anyone has some favorite 20ish miles loops up there that they recommend I'm all ears. I need to get off FL/BF to Team BB/Ontario/Flag/Payroll to Moosehouse.
    I like parking at canyons, road/bike path over to Armstrong, mm, down insurgent.

Armstrong, mm, flagstaff, payroll, mm, deercrest,ncs

Jennis, steps, candles, keystone, shadow lake, back down lower apex to cmg to MM to redbull,

Armstrong, twostep, Mojave’s or SQ, mm, johns , Sweeney’s, flat cable, loose moose, cmg

A few good options.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Reports that the Fat Lip Grouse (Gretchen)is RIP. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Armstrong, twostep, Mojave’s or SQ, mm, johns , Sweeney’s, flat cable, loose moose, cmg

Did this one tonight. Dirt is about as good as it gets really. I wasn't excited for SQ after doing it last August but it's in way better shape now.

I knew that fucking 9k trail would murder BF. That sucks. I’m sure people are shuttling the shit out of it. It’s only a matter of time before a potato shaped fella in white tennies impales himself on some shit off the side of the trail.
    Welp....this is me being Sanctimonious-glad-I-moved-away-guy because I’d be losing my mind if I saw that shit. Vibes.

The most over ridden trail in the Wasatch is currently in all time conditions and somehow we managed to not see anyone on it tonight. Beautiful evening to be up there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	331350

Name:	IMG_2493.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	331351

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	331352

Get it before it turns to break bumps and dust. Rumor I heard is the guards gate opens this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Reports that the Fat Lip Grouse (Gretchen)is RIP. :-(
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wait, YES!!! Fuck that bird. I ran into her cousin on Flying Dog a couple days ago and almost shat myself. That one was less aggressive though and vacated the trail after a minor intimidation display. Probably scared of my awesome pace, who wouldn't be...

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I like parking at canyons, road/bike path over to Armstrong, mm, down insurgent.
    Armstrong, mm, flagstaff, payroll, mm, deercrest,ncs
    Jennis, steps, candles, keystone, shadow lake, back down lower apex to cmg to MM to redbull,
    A few good options.

Thanks, all good suggestions, I've done most of these trails but I'm not always super savy about linking them properly.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 1.08.18 PM.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  29.4 KB
    Last edited by mar123; 06-12-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Rumor I heard is the guards gate opens this weekend.
    Fuck. Just in time for a 75 degree high in the valley, it's going to be downright magical up there...

downright magical up there...
    That is an accurate description of last night. One of the finer evenings I've had in a while, although I haven't been riding all that much lately.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 1.08.18 PM.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  29.4 KB
    A downhiller up in North van started up an IG account called Black Trails Matter last year to decry the universal dumbing down of trails. Realized I hadn't seen any posts for awhile, looks like the account has been deleted.

Fuck. Just in time for a 75 degree high in the valley, it's going to be downright magical up there...
    Gate opens Monday.

FYI I climbed up Pinecone today, turned around at roughly 9400' due to lots of snow (about a mile shy of the top). Had about 5 or so downed trees requiring a dismount. Incredible hero dirt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Incredible hero dirt!!
    Right?? I rode MM from Olympic Park to the Canyons, the dirt was black, sticky, and the whole time it smelled of humus and wet grass. Probably my first real experience with real hero dirt, people throw that term around in UT but obviously the stuff doesn't grow around here and when it does it barely lasts a minute.
    Bombing down the Olympic park flow trails without losing traction and 2-wheel drifting all over the place was unreal, I had to be careful not to tighten my turns too much or I'd end up mowing grass on the inside. Usually I'm the guy who barely managed not to fly off the outside when coming out of a switchback.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    A downhiller up in North van started up an IG account called Black Trails Matter last year to decry the universal dumbing down of trails. Realized I hadn't seen any posts for awhile, looks like the account has been deleted.
    ...oh gawd when North Van is bitchin about dumbing down trails look out. ....Canada a bunch of privileged DH'ers ....boyz got it so good up there, best trails ever!!! God bess the rogue trail builders...those guys do it right!

Black Trails Matter was whining about nothing. By my count we've got 288 sanctioned trails, 172 unsanctioned. That's just the North Shore.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Black Trails Matter was whining about nothing. By my count we've got 288 sanctioned trails, 172 unsanctioned. That's just the North Shore.
    ^^and they are ...all...so...good.

We got like 80,000 green xc trails and maybe like 10 good black DH trails. 4 or 5 unsanctioned trails....thats just the Wasatch.

The ratio of xc trails to DH is absurd... ride what ya got.

The few of the PC DH trails that exist have been running all time this week! Dirt has been amazing.

EMTs were heading up towards Levitate this morning...hope nobody is seriously hurt.

The full face shuttle DH bros were out in full force. Who could have possibly seen this coming?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    EMTs were heading up towards Levitate this morning...hope nobody is seriously hurt.

The full face shuttle DH bros were out in full force. Who could have possibly seen this coming?!?

um its a jump trail thats easily shuttleable...more laps means faster progress. I would highly recommend to pad up and wear a full face if your learning to jump. and drop your seat. ...making fun of people for wearing protective gear is weak. Go pedal Anns if you don't like it.

Im all for earning turns and pedaling up but something to consider....maybe chill out on the folks who want to shuttle it, its a lot easier to learn how to jump and progress that way.

Its also much safer to shuttle especially if youre learning to jump, working on skills, racing DH etc...less time between laps = better muscle memory and easier to make adjustments on each lap. Being fresh and fully recovered for every lap is important when learning/jumping. Not everyone wants to pedal up in their pads and full face.

I know its a bit of a culture shock to the xc community down there but its a good thing.

Geez dude calm down! I have a full face and shuttle stuff too, I get it. Hell, I have 3 fresh stitches from a wreck 2 days ago. Wish I hadn't left my FF at home for that ride.

My point was that having a trail that accessible with mandatory gaps is guaranteed to create multiple serious wrecks.

I was up there this morning, really enjoyed the improvements to levitate.

Let’s be honest though I did not see a single feature that wasn’t rollable. There is no real squirrel catcher to deter people.

The main reason people will get hurt on this trail is because they ignore progression and practice. And they ride levitate to tell all their friends they rode levitate the “expert” trail with “gaps.”

I rode Empire this morning. The dirt was the best I have ever ridden on that trail. I've always loved Empire, but with tacky dirt it might be my favorite trail. We took the new 9K over to it. There were three snow patches you had to walk across. I'm kind of bummed that trail got put in, it makes getting to BF and Empire a little too easy.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    I was up there this morning, really enjoyed the improvements to levitate.

Let’s be honest though I did not see a single feature that wasn’t rollable. There is no real squirrel catcher to deter people.

The main reason people will get hurt on this trail is because they ignore progression and practice. And they ride levitate to tell all their friends they rode levitate the “expert” trail with “gaps.”

^true.

Yeah im not sure what people think these days, but if you are not clearing the first few jumps comfortably bail out... if you are rolling over the jumps you have no business being there.

So important to start small and work your way up, pad up and wear a full face when learning to jump. Please don't hit the trail with no prior jumping skills on your xc bike, clipless, with open face...you are asking for serious injury.

If you want to start jumping do it the right way, safely. Know your limits, set the pride aside.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    ^true.

Yeah im not sure what people think these days, but if you are not clearing the first few jumps comfortably bail out... if you are rolling over the jumps you have no business being there.

So important to start small and work your way up, pad up and wear a full face when learning to jump. Please don't hit the trail with no prior jumping skills on your xc bike, clipless, with open face...you are asking for serious injury.

If you want to start jumping do it the right way, safely. Know your limits, set the pride aside.
    Hey, Jeryd and Kaiyle Christiansen just worked over Hanger 15 on a 2 bike deal and who are you to tell them where they can ride their new whips? Last I heard, this was a free country and they are entitled to use their public landz and hit sweet jumps