Page 39 of 101 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    time to start migrating up the mountain...

The new black/double black (not sure its official rating) Dead Reckoning trail up at the Arcylon zone is super fun with some big gaps. I would put it on the same level as jumping the Tsunami trail at Deer Valley except with gaps. Speed for everything is pretty spot on, definitely want to be carrying your speed with no brakes, your first few times through might even want to sneak a pedal in here and there.

Riding with chainsaws is fun...cleared about 12 big downed trees, trail is riding great
    Name:  d.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  367.3 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	374474

Name:	jsaw.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	374475

Name:  bones.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  275.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    not sustainable either
    That is definitely a concern. A bunch of the switchbacks on the lower section of 19th ave (above I street) are already showing serious signs of erosion. People are trying to haul ass around the corners and fail to make the turn, they end up sliding out with both wheels locked digging through those poor unsupported berms. There are a couple of switchbacks below I-street which are also going the same route with the added benefit that if you blow one of these you fly straight down to City Creek. And the new uphill trail has a few turns that are going to erode into oblivion after a few big rains.
    I wonder what maintenance is going to be like on this new trail system. The old Shoreline stuff was rather shitty but it had been there for so long nothing was really changing year after year...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    And the new uphill trail has a few turns that are going to erode into oblivion after a few big rains.
    I couldn't make the first loose switchback. Why make it as tight and awkward as the switchbacks they replaced to start the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    The new black/double black (not sure its official rating) Dead Reckoning trail up at the Arcylon zone is super fun with some big gaps. I would put it on the same level as jumping the Tsunami trail at Deer Valley except with gaps.
    Damn. Probably above my pay grade these days but it's pretty cool to see official sanctioned trails being built with features like that.

I wonder what maintenance is going to be like on this new trail system.
    Probably similar to Limelight in Draper with a lot of work required every year.

^All examples of poor trail design...a huge pet peeve of mine... Long high speed straight aways leading into a jackknife switchback, lazy trail building which leads to erosion and trail maintenance problems.

There needs to be reverse grades incorporated into the trail to burn off speed before you get to these jackknife corners/switchbacks. I dont mind tight turns, but dont lead people into them going 30mph.

Rumor has it that there are some steep tech DH/Enduro-ish directional MTB specific trails in the plans for the foothills, maybe they are getting all the connector trails in first? But im hoping we get a few good ones built....would be great if the city/contractors reached out to some of the local rippers to help route those trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Damn. Probably above my pay grade these days but it's pretty cool to see official sanctioned trails being built with features like that.
    absolutely! about damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Quoted again for emphasis. Moving away really opened my eyes again as to how much quality advanced trail exists in the greater SLC area.

Tanners-Quarry-Cool Way-Flanders are running choice ATM. Some water on lower Flanders, but makes it interesting.......

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    ^All examples of poor trail design...a huge pet peeve of mine... Long high speed straight aways leading into a jackknife switchback, lazy trail building which leads to erosion and trail maintenance problems.

There needs to be reverse grades incorporated into the trail to burn off speed before you get to these jackknife corners/switchbacks. I dont mind tight turns, but dont lead people into them going 30mph.

Rumor has it that there are some steep tech DH/Enduro-ish directional MTB specific trails in the plans for the foothills, maybe they are getting all the connector trails in first? But im hoping we get a few good ones built....would be great if the city/contractors reached out to some of the local rippers to help route those trail.
    I doubt the city will do anything of the sort, but the people out there with shovels maybe. They seemed nice enough when I’ve seen them? Not holding my breath but that’s probably a better bet than the city

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Tanners-Quarry-Cool Way-Flanders are running choice ATM. Some water on lower Flanders, but makes it interesting.......
    Not sure why I stopped riding that a few years ago but I'm gonna put it back into my regular rotation this year. There's some great chunk and dirt in there.

Cleanup, aisle 2

Name:	IMG_4928.jpg 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	374536

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	374537

That is definitely a concern. A bunch of the switchbacks on the lower section of 19th ave (above I street) are already showing serious signs of erosion. People are trying to haul ass around the corners and fail to make the turn, they end up sliding out with both wheels locked digging through those poor unsupported berms. There are a couple of switchbacks below I-street which are also going the same route with the added benefit that if you blow one of these you fly straight down to City Creek. And the new uphill trail has a few turns that are going to erode into oblivion after a few big rains.
    I wonder what maintenance is going to be like on this new trail system. The old Shoreline stuff was rather shitty but it had been there for so long nothing was really changing year after year...
    Completely agree. Even in the short time the trail has been open its crazy how much damage the trail has gotten. So many corners are already blown out, and I suspect it will be all braking bumps in a few more weeks.

Tanners and Flanders have had some great (ER) side lines put in, which are a hoot if you are not chasing Strava times.

I hit coyote this morning. It was in great shape.

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	374584

This is a picture of the easy part of the Wire climb. That’s all of it.

^ that ones steep to walk up

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    This is a picture of the easy part of the Wire climb. That’s all of it.
    Love the ride name of Strava! Saw 2 people I follow get up that thing on the same day, I never even though of riding it on the bike. Worth it??
    Gonna be hard to continue playing in the foothills now that I know John's is dry! Looks like the backside of MoPi is seeing some action too, all my favorite dumb loops are coming into play!

Tanners and Flanders have had some great (ER) side lines put in, which are a hoot if you are not chasing Strava times.
    Chasing Strava time up there is a recipe for disaster, so many opportunities to eat shit in a pile of rocks!

The entrance to Tanners is different from last season right? Seemed like it used to start just above the little creek, not it starts below. Maybe I'm confused but last year I could never get myself to commit to the entrance and yesterday I rolled right into it.
    That trail is some of the best chunky tech we have. I still can't fathom clearing the long rock garden above the ruins. There's another spot after finishing CoolWay that is mega tech, right after the little climb after crossing the dirt road. You have to climb a big ass rock pile and drop hard left, I don't even begin to understand how that works.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Worth it is subjective and hard to say. I might do it once a year. Maybe. The down was pretty fun for the most part.

One of the guys I was with loves it and does it all the time. Not sure I share his enthusiasm but I was smiling most of the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Quoted again for emphasis. Moving away really opened my eyes again as to how much quality advanced trail exists in the greater SLC area.
    You’re in Montrose now, yes?
    We should meet up around Silverton/DGO this summer for some of the good stuff. Just let me know how dumb you want to get!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"The entrance to Tanners is different from last season right? Seemed like it used to start just above the little creek, not it starts below. Maybe I'm confused but last year I could never get myself to commit to the entrance and yesterday I rolled right into it."

the one above (rider's left) of the gulch is the "B-line". Entrance is the same as last year.

"That trail is some of the best chunky tech we have. I still can't fathom clearing the long rock garden above the ruins."

Hint: 4-5th gear

"There's another spot after finishing CoolWay that is mega tech, right after the little climb after crossing the dirt road. You have to climb a big ass rock pile and drop hard left, I don't even begin to understand how that works.

There's also a B-line here, immediate left after the tree/rock squeezer. We call this section "Sticks (left) and Stones (right). Stones is tough!

Every memorable feature in there has a name, so you can laugh about almost eating shit on all of them

"The entrance to Tanners is different from last season right? Seemed like it used to start just above the little creek, not it starts below. Maybe I'm confused but last year I could never get myself to commit to the entrance and yesterday I rolled right into it."

the one above (rider's left) of the gulch is the "B-line". Entrance is the same as last year.

"That trail is some of the best chunky tech we have. I still can't fathom clearing the long rock garden above the ruins."

Hint: 4-5th gear

"There's another spot after finishing CoolWay that is mega tech, right after the little climb after crossing the dirt road. You have to climb a big ass rock pile and drop hard left, I don't even begin to understand how that works.

There's also a B-line here, immediate left after the tree/rock squeezer. We call this section "Sticks (left) and Stones (right). Stones is tough!

Every memorable feature in there has a name, so you can laugh about almost eating shit on all of them
    Weird, I was more scared of Tanner's B entrance last year than I am of the A option this year. Winter made me dumber I guess, I thought rolling the rock pile into the creek was fun.
    For the rock gardens gearing is not the only issue, line choice is the crux for me. I start bouncing off shit and lose it. I guess with more momentum it might work a bit better but it's going to take practice.
    Re: sticks & stones, can't believe the left drop is the B line. I don't get how the 90 degree turn works. The stones options almost went a few times last year. Gotta ride that thing with you so you can educate me on the names and show me how it's done!

Love the ride name of Strava! Saw 2 people I follow get up that thing on the same day,
    Who was the other one?

Shane T. He did almost the same ride as you did but 2 hours earlier. What are the odds?

Flanders: The left drop you are thinking of is the A-line on Stones. The Stones B-line doesn't have the 90 degree left, it's just straight down the rock pile.

The Left after the squeezer (before the rock pile) is the B. You've ridden right past it for 2yrs and missed it. On top of the rock pile (Stones) is A (left) and B (right). But below the rock pile is the hard left for "Sticks", which is rideable by most.

FYI, if you're thirsty after riding, the Reams on 400 S in Springville does not sell beer. Couldn't believe it.

Rode Packard to Kirkman Alt and Dry Canyon in Hobble Creek. P-K was a great loop and I'd definitely ride it again. Already starting to get dusty, it might be a lot less fun after a few months of motos, cows and no rain. Dry Canyon was dumb, I should have turned around right away and HAB'ed up Left Fork Days.

Shane T. He did almost the same ride as you did but 2 hours earlier. What are the odds?
    Pretty good since I was with him. 🤣

I was thinking there probably wasn’t too many other people up there on bikes this morning.