Page 18 of 101 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Haven’t left the condo other than to ride or hike around with the kid and my sister who we are visiting. Thinking the resort might be more people than we want to deal with so maybe some pedaling again tomorrow. Drove through downtown out of curiosity last night... shit ton of people for sure.
    Fair, but the webcams show not one person on the lift (subject to change instantly) and they are limiting sales : https://www.deervalley.com/explore-the-mountain/webcams

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Haven’t left the condo other than to ride or hike around with the kid and my sister who we are visiting. Thinking the resort might be more people than we want to deal with so maybe some pedaling again tomorrow. Drove through downtown out of curiosity last night... shit ton of people for sure.
    Ms Boissal and I rode a Crest loop from PC starting at the crack o' noon yesterday, I have never seen that many people out and about. Riding up Armstrong felt harder than ever due to the constant chatting with hikers and other bikers, "hey, how are you, thanks for letting me sneak by, it's just me, have a great hike" repeated 150 times eventually takes it out of you... Not much traffic above mid mountain but the crowds on the lower mountain were for real...
    Pleasant day up high:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200705_145135_1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	333744

Went for a chunky trail twofer on Friday, Honeycomb to Beartrap, lots of dirt road grinding followed by teeth-chattering tech. The rock garden is definitely no worse than the last time I rode it but as others have said upthread, it's different every time...

Name:	IMG_20200703_132624.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	333745

I rode at 630pm on the fourth and it was the quietest I've seen the trails all year. Super pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Went for a chunky trail twofer on Friday, Honeycomb to Beartrap
    That's an excellent double-tap. Bravo, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I rode at 630pm on the fourth and it was the quietest I've seen the trails all year. Super pleasant.
    I was on the dusk patrol program for most of my weekend rides last year. Most people must ride early on weekends because it was usually really quiet, alone at the top of Puke Hill quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That's an excellent double-tap. Bravo, sir.
    Thanks! Funny that it was almost the same vert as riding Crest from Olympic park but will half the miles. The climb to the top of Soli is a such beast. Grinds your soul into the dust...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Post work is usually my go-to time and I usually fairly deserted. On the 4th even more so as I imagine most people were full of beer and sausage and actively trying to blow themselves up or burn their yards down.
    On another note I'm impressed how few fucks the Canyons have to give about their trail systems. Even taking COVID into consideration the fact that there still are downed trees on most of their trails a month after the snow melted is really weird. Makes me wonder if they had anything to do with the cleanup on Insurgent or if it was done by motivated riders. I bet if you left a tire mark on one of the greens at the bottom of Ricochet they'd have 6 lawn experts on the case within an hour...

Vail gives negative fucks about bikes. A friend who lives in Gunnison is genuinely concerned that they are going to kill off the CB bike park.

A number of the tree falls at the canyons are new in the last two weeks. That said, the contrast in the condition of trails in deer valley and the Olympic park to everything in between is sharp.

Vail gives negative fucks about bikes. A friend who lives in Gunnison is genuinely concerned that they are going to kill off the CB bike park.
    Makes sense, revenue from 1 golfer is probably the same as that of 100 mountain bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    A number of the tree falls at the canyons are new in the last two weeks. That said, the contrast in the condition of trails in deer valley and the Olympic park to everything in between is sharp.
    The ones on Alpine Lake have been there the whole season. Not the most remarkable trail but considering how much they trashed MM with all their construction it's a nice option... There was a new tree down on Pinecone yesterday, can't imagine it will be there for more than 48 hours.
    There are some spots @ Canyons where it feels like they brought in gravel and dumped it everywhere, next level looseness.

Yup. Not even opening the park in CB this summer. Makes you wonder about Whistler, as well.

Whistler is a gold mine for them, I don’t think that’s a worry.

I'm sure Whistler will be just fine. It's the exception that proves the rule.

It is strange how Vail (locally)ignores the long lines at deer valley. I think the local resorts have hoodwinked corporate into believing it cannot be profitable. Selfishly there are fewer people riding down at me fast when I’m climbing, so it’s all good.

I have now been confronted by two groups of older women about riding on the trail from the top of moose puddle to Robs. I wander what hiking forum is claiming it is one way? I think they don’t realize Robs ends. I am tired of the negativity. I think rather than telling them the names of the people at the Olympic Park they can complain to about me, I’m going to go with the “I don’t speak english”., route, and just pedal away. I do keep encountering e bikes on the crest? There is no way to enforce the rules, so I think the people riding them just don’t care.

It is strange how Vail (locally)ignores the long lines at deer valley. I think the local resorts have hoodwinked corporate into believing it cannot be profitable. Selfishly there are fewer people riding down at me fast when I’m climbing, so it’s all good.

I have now been confronted by two groups of older women about riding on the trail from the top of moose puddle to Robs. I wander what hiking forum is claiming it is one way? I think they don’t realize Robs ends. I am tired of the negativity. I think rather than telling them the names of the people at the Olympic Park they can complain to about me, I’m going to go with the “I don’t speak english”., route, and just pedal away. I do keep encountering e bikes on the crest? There is no way to enforce the rules, so I think the people riding them just don’t care.
    So you are climbing robs and have people stop you on Olympic trail, which connects to Moose Puddle?

The Olympic connector?? That's ridiculous, that thing is as bi-directional as it gets, how else are you supposed to connect to mid-mountain? And the trail is nice and wide, no way to even scare a hiker on there even if you're riding way too fast... Old Karens need to learn that they don't have the run of the place and politely asking them to displace their geriatric asses 2' to the side isn't a violation of their constitutional rights. If you pretend not to speak English they'll probably tell you to go back where you came from though and get even more angry.

I generally feel bad for hikers in Park City though. The place is absolute shit for them, there isn't a single trailhead down low that gets them anywhere pleasant in a reasonable mileage and most of the hiking they get to do is on dusty ass trails in muggy forest. Poor fuckers from out of town trying to hike with family on Armstrong spend their entire hike getting out of the way of uphill traffic. If they chose Spiro or CMG they get mowed down by fast traffic. Their best option is to drive up to Guardsman but even there the bike traffic is pretty high.

I have been stopped on the connector twice, (Is it still called Hi Ute?)once going each way by angry older ladies telling me I am not allowed to descend. I don't climb robs despite it being very close to our house. Too much traffic for me.

I do climb or descend moose puddle and stuff all around Robs most days.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Old Karens need to learn that they don't have the run of the place and politely asking them to displace their geriatric asses 2' to the side isn't a violation of their constitutional rights. If you pretend not to speak English they'll probably tell you to go back where you came from though and get even more angry.
    You think there bad with us grown men, you should see the way they treat my kids when they are out. They don't let it bug them though. They just laugh at us blue hairs.

Anyone been up Big Mountain this year? Assume it’s gtg...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's strange to me that Vail basically.gave up on the canyons bike park almost immediately. Seemed like they stepped into a successful operation and just let it die.... It's sad and another example of Vail not caring about the communities it occupies.

Tons of ebikes out and about. It's over, they're here. It's basically not enforceable banning ebikes and no one seems to want to do it anyways. Some guy with an ebike asked me on empire pass about bus shuttling back to that lot and I looked at him and said your bike has a motor dude, just ride it back up. I've seen ebikes all over PC trails this summer and my dad is one of em. I've given up caring about ebikes....

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Anyone been up Big Mountain this year? Assume it’s gtg...
    Buddy of mine rode the MoPi to Big Mountain to Lookout Peak loop last week, no signs of snow and the brush isn't murderous yet.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Tons of ebikes out and about. It's over, they're here. It's basically not enforceable banning ebikes and no one seems to want to do it anyways. Some guy with an ebike asked me on empire pass about bus shuttling back to that lot and I looked at him and said your bike has a motor dude, just ride it back up. I've seen ebikes all over PC trails this summer and my dad is one of em. I've given up caring about ebikes....
    I saw 2 on Crest last season and they were clearly embarrassed to have been spotted. This year I see a couple on every ride and they are not trying to be discrete. About half of them are older gents who obviously know how to ride but probably wouldn't be on those trails without pedal assist. I have yet to see one of them ride something cool though, with the motor I'd be going up all kinds of nasty shit I have no hope of ever touching with the self-powered version.

Speaking of nasty shit, I rode Catherine's down to Lake Mary yesterday, that's gotta be one of the best sections of tech riding we have. If it weren't for the clouds of mosquitoes and the groups of 70 people I had to ride through below the lake it would have been heaven. Now if I could only straighten my index fingers which are bent to the shape of the brake lever...

Name:	IMG_20200707_181230.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	333990

Name:	IMG_20200707_194700.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	333991

Name:	IMG_20200707_203222.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	333992

a week-ish back I saw a grayhair on an ebike going up dry creek lol. like taking a helicopter to superior, just lazy... (the dude was clearly more than fit enough to make the climb)

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Fair, but the webcams show not one person on the lift (subject to change instantly) and they are limiting sales : https://www.deervalley.com/explore-the-mountain/webcams
    We ended up riding the bike park. It was great! Never waited more than 1 chair and rarely encountered anyone on trail. Thieves Forrest and Fire Swamp are LOOOOSE. Super fun but it was like riding on marbles up top. We had a blast and hit all the trails that sounded worth while.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

^^^
    Lots of people dis on riding lifts. I think it’s fun as hell. Best way to improve descending skills. Midweek is like a pow day with no lines. Just spent some time in Crested butte and sun valley. Both places have unreal epic long single track rides. But my legs could’ve used a lift day at both places to recover and still go for a rip. Cold springs via lifts at sun valley is as good as it gets for lift served single track. Was bummed that lift served biking was closed. PC riding is great and most of us get spoiled by it. Glad you had a good time.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Good riding out there right now.

Name:	20200708_103224.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	334245

Name:	20200707_113116.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	334246

Name:	20200709_103041.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	334247

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^
    Lots of people dis on riding lifts. I think it’s fun as hell. Best way to improve descending skills. Midweek is like a pow day with no lines. Just spent some time in Crested butte and sun valley. Both places have unreal epic long single track rides. But my legs could’ve used a lift day at both places to recover and still go for a rip. Cold springs via lifts at sun valley is as good as it gets for lift served single track. Was bummed that lift served biking was closed. PC riding is great and most of us get spoiled by it. Glad you had a good time.
    I definitely don't dis riding lifts. I will, however, dis Deer Valley all day long. Thou shall receive no accolades for being the skinniest kid at fat camp.

My 10 y.o. cleaned the A line on the spine tonight. So cool. He did it on 24" wheels, too.