Page 46 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2514
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    No human sighting down Crest/Millcreek Meadows/GWT
    Its an odd-numbered day so the commercial shuttles aren't running as much since *technically* you can't ride upper Millcreek trails even when the gate is still closed. Yesterday I saw lots of riders coming down the crest at 8pm into Millcreek.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Living across the street from the Canyons, I can safely say that there are hikers on all down hill only trails. The crazy part is they will often yell at you.

Ther is one group of older ladies that walk in there most mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I think they go out looking for a fight rather than to enjoy it. They go up the right trails and walk down the down hill trails. They have off leash dogs, and are not agile, so if you happen into them when there is a berm or something, they have no chance at escape. I've stopped saying anything other than Good Morning. I honestly am surprised someone like my kids haven't taken them out yet. My oldest did get pretty cut up last year about this time dodging a family hiking up richochet. It is just the new dynamic. So many new users on the trails. That said, I'm still riding and having fun every day. If you get above mid mountain, the trails are in great shape and the crowds are less.
    My youngest did her first race this week over at PCMR, so we pre rode there a few times. That parking lot is full with cyclist. Freaking amazing the numbers using the system. I knew there were more people, but when you see a couple hundred cars in a parking lot it really sinks in.

if you’re starting in park city, is there a preferred or designated or good-etiquette route to climb up to crest?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    if you’re starting in park city, is there a preferred or designated or good-etiquette route to climb up to crest?
    Finally branching out, eh?

The most popular route is Armstrong/MM/Pinecone. It's popular for a reason, really nice singletrack all the way to ridge.

The other option is Jenni's/CMG/Apex/Keystone/Shadow Lake/Puke Hill. Nice singletrack to Scotts Pass, but having to finish with Puke Hill means there's >90% fewer people.

Armstrong to Pinecone is the most common and direct. There are many service roads you can take instead, but they are often loose and steep. I've taken SR224 to Guardsman from PC before and it was a little faster.

I've heard that the FS is closing upper Millcreek trails tomorrow because they are using a helicopter to bring in some bridge materials to Dog Lake. Don't ask me why this is happening on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Its an odd-numbered day so the commercial shuttles aren't running as much since *technically* you can't ride upper Millcreek trails even when the gate is still closed. Yesterday I saw lots of riders coming down the crest at 8pm into Millcreek.
    I figured the odd-day thing was part of the deal but there's also Crest shuttling on the PC side no? I know the Crest experience dictates a run all the way down Millcreek but the PC options are pretty damn worthy too and have the good taste of not including a dumb section of pavement.
    Not that I'm complaining about an empty Crest!

Btw, some kind soul cleared the big ass deadfall from the Millcreek Meadows trail, no more tree bouldering. Someone also built a large number of what I assume are water bars on that trail. They're tall and steep and located completely randomly, mostly in spots where I've never seen a lick of water even at peak snowmelt. Gotta protect the dusty trench from these heavy rains we keep getting I guess.

Given what you're riding the Armstrong Pinecone option will make you happier. Jenni/T2S/Apex/Shadow is quieter and I like it a lot more but as others have pointed out it's a bit more techy and includes puke hill. 9k is also an option, great dirt sidewalk but it's getting up there in mileage (and it includes puke hill).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I know the Crest experience dictates a run all the way down Millcreek but the PC options are pretty damn worthy too and have the good taste of not including a dumb section of pavement.
    Pavement isn't the dumb part of riding all the way out Millcreek. Pipeline could vanish tomorrow and I wouldn't even blink. The way to ride upper Millcreek is to start in BCC, pedal back up Big Water and exit via Mill D.

Me looking at dfinn's Crest ride on Strava a few days back and seeing that they skipped Pipeline and cruised out the road the whole way (beer in-hand, hopefully):

and includes puke hill.
    You say that like it's a bad thing!

Given what you're riding the Armstrong Pinecone option will make you happier. Jenni/T2S/Apex/Shadow is quieter and I like it a lot more but as others have pointed out it's a bit more techy and includes puke hill. 9k is also an option, great dirt sidewalk but it's getting up there in mileage (and it includes puke hill).
    puke hill is scott hill above usa bowl? I thought it was just an unpleasant two track?

puke hill is scott hill above usa bowl? I thought it was just an unpleasant two track?
    That's it, exactly. I did it for the first time with Benneke10 the other week and I didn't think it was worthy of it's reputation. Granted I did end up walking the last 100' but that's more a comment on what a fatass I am than anything.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I like deer crest to mid mountain to tour de suds to 9K then up puke hill. There are a lot of ways to do it. Armstong -pine cone is certainly the prevalent as everyone has said. It has the upside of being mostly wooded, and thus cooler if your doing it mid day.

I just came here to say that I like puke hill.

I'd rather do the other routes mentioned than armstrong to pinecone, but only for two reasons: 1.) I like descending pinecone more than climbing it 2.) I like the "suffering"

Also if i know mallwalker like I think I do, I think he'll dig the challenge that is puke hill.

My advice: There's so many great blue trails in PC, best just to pedal around somewhat aimless until you reach a turnaround time and then descend.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    That parking lot is full with cyclist. Freaking amazing the numbers using the system. I knew there were more people, but when you see a couple hundred cars in a parking lot it really sinks in.
    It baffles my mind that the PC planning commission is even considering approving Vail's project of developing those lots. Also, heard the summit county council is floating the idea of permit system to access Basin Recs trails, which is going to push 50% more trail users into parking in neighborhoods. Gonna get real ugly in PC if both these get approval. Rode colins-robs-ambush-insurgent last night and noticed a new sign at the bottom of Colin's saying no street parking at that trailhead (PC community Church is kind of enough to let trail users use their lots, unlike mormons that gate their lots), but it still kinda pisses me off that they're trying to restrict parking on public streets..... I rode that route a lot last year and I was typically the only car parking there. /endrant

Pavement isn't the dumb part of riding all the way out Millcreek. Pipeline could vanish tomorrow and I wouldn't even blink. The way to ride upper Millcreek is to start in BCC, pedal back up Big Water and exit via Mill D.
    I picked the pavement part cause the last time I did it was on the road bike and it was heinous. For at least 1 mile below the Little Water TH the road is basically a single lane with cars parked on both sides and terrified drivers oozing up and down at 5 mph. On a bike you basically have to pass them which is sketch as fuck. I'd be super bummed if it were my first time riding the famed Crest and I had to deal with that shit after the glory that is lower Big Water trail. I haven't been on Pipeline/Rattlesnake since my hardtail days and I can't say I remember that section fondly. Could be fun high speed XC if it weren't full of people and dogs.
    100% agree with you on the best way to ride upper Millcreek, that's actually my go-to Crest ride. When I feel particularly gluttonous I slog back up to Crest via Deso to exit Beartrap. The HAB along the spine is all time misery.

I could do without Puke hill in general since it's so out of character with the rest of the loop. It's short enough that it's not something I dread but I can't say I've ever enjoyed it, especially on longer days, and even more so now that I routinely get passed by ebikers coasting up the thing while chatting away (yes, I'm jealous). I enjoy passing 30+ people pushing their bikes when I land myself in the middle of a shuttle group though. I always wonder what goes through their head if it's their first time up there, they've been sold on the best and longest DH in the world but have spent the last 30 minutes bouncing down a dusty trench with giant holes and are now baking in the sun pushing their rental up some shitty steep dirt road... REFUND!

Most of the land up there is probably private (old mining claims) which is probably why there isn't a section of switbacky singletrack bypassing the 2-track. I'd ride it. Last fall I checked the abandoned double track that takes off from the saddle at the base of Puke Hill and contours over to the Scottish Chief mine directly below the radio towers. It's mostly single track and quite pleasant but when it fades out you have to HAB straight up the hillside (turns out USA bowl sucks as bad in the summer as it does in the winter). That could be remedied with a bit of new trail and it would bypass most of the shitty double track riding at the start of Crest.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    That's it, exactly. I did it for the first time with Benneke10 the other week and I didn't think it was worthy of it's reputation. Granted I did end up walking the last 100' but that's more a comment on what a fatass I am than anything.
    Hum... I'd say the fact that you got spanked and had to push the bike suggests it actually lived up to said reputation: steep and shitty. Or did you expect it to look like the cable route on Half Dome?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I picked the pavement part cause the last time I did it was on the road bike and it was heinous. For at least 1 mile below the Little Water TH the road is basically a single lane with cars parked on both sides and terrified drivers oozing up and down at 5 mph.
    There's the Big Water-Alexander connector trail now which minimizes that kind of bullshit. Millcreek should probably be a Zion-type shuttle bus system at this point.

I haven't been on Pipeline/Rattlesnake since my hardtail days and I can't say I remember that section fondly. Could be fun high speed XC if it weren't full of people and dogs.
    Most of Pipeline is like -0.5%, pedally AF. So not worth the cost of a shuttle or the hassle of the long car retrieval.

I could do without Puke hill in general since it's so out of character with the rest of the loop. It's short enough that it's not something I dread but I can't say I've ever enjoyed it, especially on longer days
    The nice part about it is that it keeps people off the Shadow Lake route.

Most of the land up there is probably private (old mining claims) which is probably why there isn't a section of switbacky singletrack bypassing the 2-track. I'd ride it. Last fall I checked the abandoned double track that takes off from the saddle at the base of Puke Hill and contours over to the Scottish Chief mine directly below the radio towers. It's mostly single track and quite pleasant but when it fades out you have to HAB straight up the hillside (turns out USA bowl sucks as bad in the summer as it does in the winter). That could be remedied with a bit of new trail and it would bypass most of the shitty double track riding at the start of Crest.
    Extending the Scottish Chief route would be great (although assuredly some twat would complain that cutting a trail across USA Bowl would ruin the viewshed) and for sure would be preferable. It's definitely all private, though the ownership all shows up as "Null" on the SLCo parcel viewer. The other obvious connection would be to cut a trail around the east side of the Puke Hill knob and connect to Pinecone, basically an extension on 9k. That's all Talisker/Vail land and seems easy in principle, but who knows.

Millcreek should probably be a Zion-type shuttle bus system at this point.
    There are serious people working to make this happen in MCC, BCC and LCC. Enjoy your freedom while you can.

ruin the viewshed
    This. The entire team at SOC would immediately self combust at the mere mention of a trail in pristine USA bowl. It's true, if you shield your eyes carefully you can spot nice patches of sagebrush between the old dirt roads, the radio towers, the mine tailings, the houses, the lift towers, etc...
    Just like in the SLC foothills really, pristine wilderness unmarred by 100s of miles of old dirt roads, oil pipelines, power lines, etc... I'm surprised there isn't a major shitstorm over the new trail cut at the mouth of BCC, the one which I presume was put in to access the Powder Ridge crag from Ferguson canyon. That thing is a major eyesore but it seems like the SLCA is somehow on the good side of SOC so it's not as contentious.

I'll take a shuttle up Millcreek if the tradeoff is the removal of all scout camps.

Edit: speaking of SOC, anyone seen this shit?
    Bulldozing peaks, 1 million sq ft of habitat lost in a roadless area, fucking hell... Whoever their propagandist is, they need to start writing horror novels.
    I love the pitch for inclusivity, "all city residents have a right to access public land", nice job finding a stock pick of 4 of the most white bread people ever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201919820_10223930520664546_2017485968139561015_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	377403

lol yeah I appreciate the local wilderness designations we have, which I understand to some extent have been helped by SOC. but the foothills are just rich peoples back yards, already riddled with unofficial trails, old people, dogs, the works. new trails (and parking) are good things. new bike trails are good things. SOC just swims in their lane regardless of context it seems.

I'm surprised there isn't a major shitstorm over the new trail cut at the mouth of BCC, the one which I presume was put in to access the Powder Ridge crag from Ferguson canyon. That thing is a major eyesore but it seems like the SLCA is somehow on the good side of SOC so it's not as contentious.

I'll take a shuttle up Millcreek if the tradeoff is the removal of all scout camps.
    The trail is a new section of the BST and it has definitely caused a (less public) shitstorm. What makes matters worse is some climbers (not SLCA) are illegally building a trail nearby. SOC and all the other enviro groups, along with Utah's full congressional delegation and governor support building the BST so homeowner complaints are not magnified as much there.

Those scout camps aren't going anywhere any time soon, they are on private property.

The trail is a new section of the BST and it has definitely caused a (less public) shitstorm. What makes matters worse is some climbers (not SLCA) are illegally building a trail nearby. SOC and all the other enviro groups, along with Utah's full congressional delegation and governor support building the BST so homeowner complaints are not magnified as much there.

Those scout camps aren't going anywhere any time soon, they are on private property.
    Oh interesting, it looks like it ended at the granite and give the approach to that crag I figured it could be a new access. The crag sees very light traffic though so it seemed excessive. You know the alignment for that new trail? Seems to be going nowhere...

Re: Scouts, I was jesting. I positively despise the camps but I think they've been here for about as long as the state has so it's safe to say they'll never go away.

The new trail will connect the BCC road with the Ferguson TH

The new trail will connect the BCC road with the Ferguson TH
    Weird. I assume it's heading up canyon a bit until it enters the wilderness and can drop to the road past the super mansion that is at the easternmost end of Prospector Drive? Then what, find a way above the old new development on the N side of BCC and connect to Heughs/Oly segments?

Pretty much yeah, it stays above the mansions on Prospector and stays out of the Wilderness so bikes will be able to use it. And there will be a new trail above the gross new mansions to connect BCC with Heughs in a couple years. Post Malone hired a big corporate law firm to sue the FS because he doesn't like the new trail is above his house, I don't think it will go anywhere though.

Pretty much yeah, it stays above the mansions on Prospector and stays out of the Wilderness so bikes will be able to use it. And there will be a new trail above the gross new mansions to connect BCC with Heughs in a couple years. Post Malone hired a big corporate law firm to sue the FS because he doesn't like the new trail is above his house, I don't think it will go anywhere though.
    HA! Fuck that guy with a sharp stick! Hope he gets to look at a parade of spandex for the rest of his days.

Glad to see the Shoreline project is still moving forward. As crusty as that trail is in places I'd love to be able to ride 100s of miles of it all up and down the valley.

First time back in Park City this week after moving away 8 years ago. The trails are just as amazing as I remember. The crowds though… holy shit! Even midweek the PCMR parking lot looks like it’s ski season, but with bike racks. Can only imagine what a shit show the weekends are.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums