Page 73 of 101 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2514
    Beauty

Weeknights on the Crest are hard to beat. Even weekend evenings can be surprisingly uncrowded. We had it all to ourselves Sunday night. Took the kiddo down Beartrap for the first time and he almost OD'ed on stoke.

Finally got on the new Cyn City trail at PCMR and as much as I think flow trails are played out, it was super fun and not as pedal-ly as I thought it was going to be. It definitely slows down in places but it's not a pedal fest and most of the sections are super fun with decent tilt to them. Definitely worth a visit or three, especially right now when the berms are smooth and it hasn't been brake bumped to death. Over time, I think it'll turn into a rocky mess in parts (like 9K trail just before the intersection with Apex) since that seems to be the characteristics of that slope.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Finally got on the new Cyn City trail at PCMR and as much as I think flow trails are played out, it was super fun and not as pedal-ly as I thought it was going to be. It definitely slows down in places but it's not a pedal fest and most of the sections are super fun with decent tilt to them. Definitely worth a visit or three, especially right now when the berms are smooth and it hasn't been brake bumped to death. Over time, I think it'll turn into a rocky mess in parts (like 9K trail just before the intersection with Apex) since that seems to be the characteristics of that slope.
    IMO its fine for a green trail and beginners... im sure lots of elderly xc folks will enjoy it...but there were WAY too many flat pedally sections that killed it for me. Rollers that didn't serve any purpose other then built for a retirement community... There is a very short section on the upper third that was fast and had 2 fun double roller gaps but the rest was a big ol meh. ...I wanted so bad for the speed to pick up again to start gapping rollers but it just wasn't there. Shame they missed the grade on this one, could've been sooo much better for everyone with a steeper grade and more roller gap rhythm sections.

Again its not a horrible trail and many will have fun ...its just a shame that these are the only types of trails that continue to get built especially in zones that are more suited for advanced fall line trails.

Were all having a good time...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikes.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	422220
    word is supposedly there is a blue trail and a black "dead reckoning" trail planned up around there too.

Really no organization is going to build good gnar-style DH trails. We don't need them to, because the bros already do it. They are around, and when you get good enough they will find you.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Really no organization is going to build good gnar-style DH trails. We don't need them to...
    completely disagree...because its more about embracing a community of riders and the trails they seek. And its been neglected in the Wasatch for far too long. An organization needs to build a World Cup DH track(multiple IMO), A big jump pro line, gnar tech, blue tech, or green tech trail etc... Building the rouge "bro" trails in the shadows IS fun as heck -to have that creative freedom , but its also bullshit when stuff gets torn down and you have to constantly worry about it guess thats part of the game. ...Whatever tho im not a fan of unspoken word or handshake agreements cause someone always gets F'd in the end...put it on paper and lets get shit sanctioned....We all know its there and people like it, lets stop pretending.

in some areas, I'm not going to get specific, the silent understanding is that "features" which are built with stuff lying around is left alone. Bringing in stuff from Home Depot gets torn out. So build without using 2x4s, screws, nails, concrete, etc. Just passing along what we took too long figuring out.

Asking permission or worse yet asking them to do it is just a total waste of time, they aren't going to do it. So we have to.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    i..."Bringing in stuff from Home Depot gets torn out. So build without using 2x4s, screws, nails,....
    Guessing your not talking about PC then

It's all too common with modern trail building techniques. Grade reversals and lots of rollers help the sustainability of a trail but to an end that I personally think is pointless. Sure, they "last longer" and crews can work on new trails but I'd much rather have one rad trail that needs lots of upkeep than 10 crappy ones. Same shit here in CO. It really doesn't help that there are so many new bikers that ride these trails and think they're fun, so more get built. It's just weird because it's not as if a fall line trail has to be super gnarly. I loved riding black forest and moosehouse when I lived in PC and those aren't especially gnarly, even when I'd take an intermediate rider friend down them they'd be so friggin stoked when they were able to ride sections of them. These new building techniques are killing real rider progression. Why can't water bars and other old school building techniques make a comeback?

in other news... lower speedbag (after Empire Link crossing) is gone. power company built a road right over it as they're performing whatever work they're doing in DV.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Guessing your not talking about PC then
    You aren't wrong LOL.

The PC stuff is super fun for sure, it's own personality is unique.

Deer valley Tuesday night 4-8 for $30. Sweet. Going tonight if you want to join

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Technically not the Wasatch but the Uintas are close enough... Shingle Creek has been cleared of dead fall by the FS, it was time to go back and see if I could manage the rock garden of doom without exploding something on the bike.
    Talked a buddy into coming along and we decided to go up Norway Flats instead of Upper Setting which I did last year.

It's a shittier 7 miles of dirt road with many more loose sections on the Norway Flats side. There was some water and we had to chase cows:

Name:	PXL_20220723_155716126.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	422518

The mile of singletrack below Big Elk Lake is mostly rideable until the end when shit hits the fan in a very definitive manner:

Name:	PXL_20220723_173619391.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	422519

Name:	PXL_20220723_173954754.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	422520

There were about 25 people at the lake. Every single one told us we were crazy. Every single one thought we were complete morons.
    It's another 1.3 miles to the pass above the lake, less than 10% of it is rideable. From the pass the whole backside is a glorious free for all of rocks slabs, insanely fun. No pics cause it started raining hard and we were a bit exposed.

The flats around the Erickson Lakes are very pleasant. Until we got yelled at by a couple of backpackers with shitty dogs that is. No idea what their problem is, it's not wilderness and the concept of trails "not being bike trails" is fucking idiotic. You want solitude, hike more than 5 miles from the parking lot before pitching your tent. Glad we ruined their day, assuming the mosquitoes hadn't done that already.

Name:	PXL_20220723_182916991.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	422521

There's an island on S Erickson which is probably 50' wide and has a Strava segment on it. Unfortunately we didn't find the raft used to get across and had to move on.

No pics of the downhill itself unfortunately as we were trying to make decent time. No crashes, death, or dismemberment took place. Having done it twice now I think Shingle is near the top of the list for gnarliest tech DH around. The rock gardens are relentless and not super steep so you can't cheat with speed and have to power/finesse your way through. The first 4 miles are never ending chunder with the occasional river crossing and quite a bit of pedaling. It ends with a loose plunge down a steep and really ledgy section of trail. I remember the last 2 miles as being quite mellow but that's probably cause I walked them last time with a broken wheel. This time I got to ride them and they're no joke. Some of the hardest 6 miles of downhill I've done anywhere...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Can anyone recommend a good tire for the local trails? I ripped the sidewall of my front tire this AM, and the back is pretty worn so I might as well replace both. The current tires are Maxxis High Roller II's. I'd be inclined to replace with the same as the previous owner knew a lot more about bikes than I do, but figured someone might have a suggestion for a tire that is more appropriate for the local conditions.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUtah801 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good tire for the local trails? I ripped the sidewall of my front tire this AM, and the back is pretty worn so I might as well replace both. The current tires are Maxxis High Roller II's. I'd be inclined to replace with the same as the previous owner knew a lot more about bikes than I do, but figured someone might have a suggestion for a tire that is more appropriate for the local conditions.

Thanks.
    Minion DHF front, Aggressor rear is the maxxis combo I'd suggest. EXO casing, but maybe EXO+ or DD if you like to smash rocks at speed.

Vittoria Mazza 2.4. It’s like a DHF but better IMO. Get the trail casing if you care about weight, or Enduro for smashing into things

in Maxxis a DHF or Assegai front, and in rear DHR, Dissector, Aggressor are popular. I find the Aggressor and Dissector too "loose" for my taste, but a lot of folks love them.

I am currently "testing" the Kenda Pinner Pro, and am impressed with all but the weight (they are heavy, and fairly slow rolling).

7-day QPF looks pretty juicy, could be an epic brown pow cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    7-day QPF looks pretty juicy, could be an epic brown pow cycle.
    Rode upper Millcreek yesterday to take advantage of the post-rain goodness. It had been a while since I experienced traction.

In other news, work seems to have started on new trails at Solitude. A piece of lower Serenity (between lower QueenB and Down n Out) was closed with 3 different spots chewed up by a freshly cut new trail. Or maybe it's some other type of resort work, not sure...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Minion DHF front, Aggressor rear is the maxxis combo I'd suggest. EXO casing, but maybe EXO+ or DD if you like to smash rocks at speed.
    Thanks for the suggestion - they had the DHF and Aggressor in stock at the shop down the street so I bought them. I was going to figure out mounting them on my own, but they thought I was crazy for using an inner tube when apparently my rims are capable of running tubeless. I let them take care of business and everything seems good.

Stupid question - if you're running a tire without an inner tube and it gets punctured do you have to pull it off and put in an inner tube to be able to ride home? And then replace the tire?? Still trying to wrap my head around how not having an inner tube is a good thing.

Stupid question - if you're running a tire without an inner tube and it gets punctured do you have to pull it off and put in an inner tube to be able to ride home? And then replace the tire?? Still trying to wrap my head around how not having an inner tube is a good thing.
    Most of my punctures self seal, that is the sealant in your tire plugs the hole. In other cases, I use a "bacon strip" or "dart" to plug the hole which are basically MTB versions of patches that are used in automobile tires. They can be applied fast and on the trail. Most still carry an inner tube in case of emergencies or ripping a sidewall. Having sealant in your tire also reduces the chances of getting a pinch flat.

Welcome to the future!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

^also, you just simply won't get as many flats running tubeless. You CAN get "pinch" flats when tubeless, but way less likely/often then running tubes.

Tubeless is what you want. It's pretty rare anymore to have to resort to a tube, the failure has to be pretty catastrophic. You will want to get some tire plugs though, that's the go-to for trailside puncture repair.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

...if you're running a tire without an inner tube and it gets punctured do you have to pull it off and put in an inner tube to be able to ride home? And then replace the tire?? ....
    Yes!!!... absolutely replace that tire ASAP!!! If you get a puncture in your new DHF take it off immediately and sell it on KSL, could prob get at least 10$ for it to recoup money spent...and please PM me when you do. Its super hazardous to run a tire with any kind of little defect.... Also be sure to check out MTBenthusiastsofUtah on Facebook for more great advice regarding this subject.

-Good luck Johnny!!!

Thanks for getting out zzz, great riding with you!!

Beautiful evening