Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2514
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Sent a PM on some options. Hope it helps. Here are some free pedals to get you started.

Attachment 420474

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I responded to your message - thanks again! Super cool & kind of you, but my free bike came with pedals. Got a nice office chair you need to get rid of? J/k.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The good news is that all bikes are awesome these days. The bad news is that $2k will only buy a fairly low-end full suspension bike, especially if you are buying from a shop and not one of the cheaper D2C brands. Everything will probably work great, but low-end parts are heavy. Most shops do demos and will credit the demo price toward your purchase if you buy from them.

$2k will buy a pretty nice hardtail, though.

There's a great thread that was recently bumped called "$4k Trail Bike" that has a lot of suggestions for moderately-priced bikes.
    Thanks. The previous owner of my home left a Cannondale Habit bike in the garage for me. He has 3 sons in their late teens to 20's and is a mtb rider himself and said he owns a "couple dozen" bikes. He joked that I'd be doing him a favor by letting him leave it behind. Being the super nice guy that I am, I agreed to allow it.

Those places need BC-style trail building, basically people taking time and doing things by hand using as many natural features as possible down the damn fall line as opposed to across it. There's clearly enough interest in that and motivated people who would take the time...

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    100% this
    Totally Agree

Anyone ride Cyn City? Its was surprisingly packed in last night for being open for one day - people must have been riding it in before opening day. Fun trail with the best berms Mountain trails has ever built - very intermediate oriented flow trail. I wish it was a bit steeper so less pedally - but maybe it will run fast as it gets ridden more or maybe I need to carry momentum better.

Also I just realized there is a new up-only trail to MM - haven't ridden it but I'm pysched as it's much needed - 'Mother Urban' - anyone ridden it?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Also I just realized there is a new up-only trail to MM - haven't ridden it but I'm pysched as it's much needed - 'Mother Urban' - anyone ridden it?
    It's not bad, gives you another option to MM if you get tired of Jenny's/John's and gives you the opportunity to ride stuff that doesn't see too much traffic and is fun to ride the other direction (420 & Grave Digger which I usually ride downhill after doing MooseHouse).
    The Mother Urban trail itself is OK, bit too wide and too bermed for an uphill only but the pitch is mellow the whole way. There's a longish SE-facing traverse section above Daly Canyon that is on gravely shit dirt and turns into a real oven since there's no real cover from the sun. I personally like John's a lot better, it's steeper and harder but quite a bit shorter and a better tech challenge. If you have time and want to sniff out a new option to MM the Mother Urban version is worth doing.

In other news, PNW conditions in BCC the past couple days. Never thought I'd ride in the fog in UT...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original_d4761046-e1a4-4994-9eb6-170922823152_PXL_20220714_023204609.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	421542

Name:	original_da2bf658-b036-405a-ac28-d27ec282e88c_PXL_20220714_023830058.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	421543

Almost got creamed by an out of control bro on Queen Bess Wed night. I was climbing, he was out previewing the mid-week MTB race and treated it like training day for an EWS. He came out of a loose corner all sideways and would barely have kept it together if I hadn't been there. Except I was and he found out the hard way that off-camber blown out corners with no traction aren't a great place to slam on the brakes. No harm done to either of us but he gave me attitude about going uphill (on a bidirectional trail)) and getting in the way of race prep (everything was flagged already). Fuck that noise. These races bring out so many yahoos who fancy themselves as the second coming of Sam Hill... More damage gets done in one race evening than an entire season of riding on these trails, half the bros on the hill treat the race as an opportunity to lock the back wheel for any change of direction. Because racing speed? The concept of exit speed is apparently not a thing.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Anyone ride Cyn City? Its was surprisingly packed in last night for being open for one day - people must have been riding it in before opening day. Fun trail with the best berms Mountain trails has ever built - very intermediate oriented flow trail. I wish it was a bit steeper so less pedally - but maybe it will run fast as it gets ridden more or maybe I need to carry momentum better.
    So, a longer Silver Queen, basically? Pass. If I'm in the mood for a fitness DH I'll go to Snowbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Almost got creamed by an out of control bro on Queen Bess Wed night. I was climbing, he was out previewing the mid-week MTB race and treated it like training day for an EWS. He came out of a loose corner all sideways and would barely have kept it together if I hadn't been there. Except I was and he found out the hard way that off-camber blown out corners with no traction aren't a great place to slam on the brakes. No harm done to either of us but he gave me attitude about going uphill (on a bidirectional trail)) and getting in the way of race prep (everything was flagged already). Fuck that noise. These races bring out so many yahoos who fancy themselves as the second coming of Sam Hill... More damage gets done in one race evening than an entire season of riding on these trails, half the bros on the hill treat the race as an opportunity to lock the back wheel for any change of direction. Because racing speed? The concept of exit speed is apparently not a thing.
    Foot out, flat out, Bruh! World Cup DH is a skid-fest top-to-bottom, right?

Fuck that guy.

Foot out, flat out, Bruh! World Cup DH is a skid-fest top-to-bottom, right?
    Fuck that guy.

Dude must have been watching Andorra before riding at Soli. There was a bit of a gap between perceived and actual skills though. It's all good as long as everyone only gets scared, not actually ran over.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Hey all. Need some advice. Planning to be in town end of oct or beginning of Nov. If we are here the first weekend in Nov will there still be good trails open or will we have a snow problem?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Hey all. Need some advice. Planning to be in town end of oct or beginning of Nov. If we are here the first weekend in Nov will there still be good trails open or will we have a snow problem?
    It can go either way that time of year, but odds are pretty good that the foothills will still be dry then.

Definitely plan on bringing your bike.

Good riding today with lift access

Name:	Image1658024688.722250.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	421652

Name:	Image1658024702.176159.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	421653

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Riding up pinecone today at about 10am and a guy comes hauling ass right to up to me. I’m getting ready to pull over and let him have it when he whips off the trail. I ask him how he’s doing and he tells me “I could be better.” I’m willing to let it go at that because I really don’t give a shit but he proceeded to tell me that “this trail should be directional on the weekends.”

Typical Utah passive aggressive shit I guess.

He’s right, pinecone probably should be directional on weekends but until that happens uphill has the right of way. That guy sucks.

If anybody still rides 27.5, I have a new specialized purgatory 27.5x2.3 that’s been collecting dust. Free to a good home.

Yeah, a trail that was purpose-built for climbing to the Crest and is one of the most popular climbs anywhere should be downhill-only on weekends. Wait, what?

If anything Pinecone should be uphill only. And I'm a gravity guy. Descending it is stupid, just burns vertical and brake pads for no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Riding up pinecone today at about 10am and a guy comes hauling ass right to up to me. I’m getting ready to pull over and let him have it when he whips off the trail. I ask him how he’s doing and he tells me “I could be better.” I’m willing to let it go at that because I really don’t give a shit but he proceeded to tell me that “this trail should be directional on the weekends.”

Typical Utah passive aggressive shit I guess.
    The number of E Bikes that I have had slide into my face on Pine Cone really got to me during covid. A Couple weeks ago I saw a guy from mountain trails, or Basin, on Scotts stopping them all. I told him I wished I could buy him a pizza.

I really like climbing that trail. Heck, with the number of people I encounter descending Armstrong, having to be hyper aware while climbing Pine Cone is just part of the game now.

riding sardine loop at 12:30 when it's 107 in slc is not recommended. sooo hot

Did someone say burning brake pads?

I don't think so Dan.

I don't think so Dan.
    Rhetorical question, see SJG's post. Nothing is going to scorch like that descending Pinecone, though

Also, just FTR, despite all that cookage there was no fade and no squeal.

Dan, 203 in the back burn pads even better

I would love to see Pinecone go directional on a rotating schedule. Uphill only on odd days, downhill only on even, Millcreek style. I know it would be a nightmare of poaching and create endless conflict but, worth it. Pinecone is the perfect way to end a big ride in Park City if you're anywhere above mid mountain. Doesn't take too much additional work to get there, especially with 9k in place. If I'm in the area I sure as shit am not dropping down Shadow Lake or any of the other grimy options to get back down.
    Yes, Pinecone is mostly straight line without much change in pitch but riding down feels like being in a video game. Steep enough to really get moving with a whole bunch of sideways hits and perfect gaps with really good line of sight for the most part. I personally find climbing it to be boring as fuck, especially when linked with Armstrong, and barely slower than Jennys > T2S > 3C > Apex > Shadow. That's by far the preferred way to Crest in my book, quiet, scenic, and much more interesting.

Yes, Pinecone is mostly straight line without much change in pitch but riding down feels like being in a video game. Steep enough to really get moving with a whole bunch of sideways hits and perfect gaps with really good line of sight for the most part. I personally find climbing it to be boring as fuck, especially when linked with Armstrong, and barely slower than Jennys > T2S > 3C > Apex > Shadow. That's by far the preferred way to Crest in my book, quiet, scenic, and much more interesting.
    Completely agree, although I’d climb king road over Jenny’s any day of the week. My question is why can’t they build new easy dh trails that are as fun as the old ones (pinecone, empire link, corvair etc.) Cyn City is way too reminiscent of that 19th street flow trail.

Dan, 203 in the back burn pads even better

I would love to see Pinecone go directional on a rotating schedule. Uphill only on odd days, downhill only on even, Millcreek style. I know it would be a nightmare of poaching and create endless conflict but, worth it. Pinecone is the perfect way to end a big ride in Park City if you're anywhere above mid mountain. Doesn't take too much additional work to get there, especially with 9k in place. If I'm in the area I sure as shit am not dropping down Shadow Lake or any of the other grimy options to get back down.
    Sugar Daddy keeps sending 180s, so beggars/choosers/etc.

I've ridden down it a few times. Even on a mid-week evening I never felt comfortable enough to really open it up knowing how many people were coming the other way. I can only imagine what a cluster alternating up/down days would be. It's hard enough to get people to respect hard Up/Down-only designations. Need to build a new up- or down-only route. Probably a up-only route since, as altabird noted, PC seems incapable of building good descents any more.

Need to build a new up- or down-only route. Probably a up-only route since, as altabird noted, PC seems incapable of building good descents any more.
    Its hard to imagine PC investing money into building trails for uphill mtb riders who don't spend any money