Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Might just be hype but sounds like there is some rowdy stuff about to open out at Herriman.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	328592

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Might just be hype but sounds like there is some rowdy stuff about to open out at Herriman.

Purdy! ...would be cool. More cowbell.

I saw a short video today. Looked fun. If I go check it out I'll report back.

Wasatch Dirt Thread

It does look fun and I’ve liked everything else that Derek has built around here. He usually does a good job of leaving rocks on the trail. I bet it will be cool. I also liked the little bit of other trails I’ve ridden in that area too.

In other news this has got to be the best time of the year for riding in PC. A beautiful Saturday evening and only 5 cars in the lot. Obviously it’s because there’s nothing to ride and it’s all covered in snow.
    Last edited by dfinn; 05-16-2020 at 11:21 PM.

52 cars at a local trailhead at 8am today. I used to groan when there were more than a handful of cars there. I'm ready for the mo's to go back to church.

...the lot.
    Enjoy that while it lasts. Not the number of cars, the actual parking lot. Vail sold the main PCMR parking lot to developers last year and it's slated to become condos or something.

The police did come monitoring and 2/3 of the cars at PC trail heads were from the valley. I was really surprised by that. That said, I haven’t driven to a local ride this year, so maybe that skews the numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Enjoy that while it lasts. Not the number of cars, the actual parking lot. Vail sold the main PCMR parking lot to developers last year and it's slated to become condos or something.
    WTF?? It's definitely going to help in the winter with all the parking available around PC...

Speaking of trails covered in snow, I got a bit too excited yesterday and went for a loop that is going to need a few more weeks of high temps to be worth a visit. By then the brush will have fully taken it over and it will be a different battle. Got to eat shit and slide down snowfields which trying to kick steps with the bike on my back, good times... Nice recon though, scenic as hell, fun adventure riding with lots of jank and no people. Kinda brutal on the up, it convinced me to try a smaller chainring instead of pushing too many teeth spinning at 45 rpms. And yes, I did try to ride across that pond and it went just about as well as you'd expect.

Name:	IMG_20200517_164023.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	328908

Name:	IMG_20200517_175600.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	328909

Name:	IMG_20200517_174844.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	328910

Name:	IMG_20200517_161431.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	328911

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    WTF?? It's definitely going to help in the winter with all the parking available around PC...
    Park Record article from last year: https://www.parkrecord.com/news/vail...ovo-developer/

In Vail's defense, this has been in the works for decades. It will be interesting to see what the proposed “improved access to public parking” entails.

Nice shots. GWT in the Big Mtn Pass area?

Flying dog is now directional, which explains some dirty looks I've received having no idea this was the case until now.

Thank Dog! CCW I hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Flying dog is now directional, which explains some dirty looks I've received having no idea this was the case until now.
    That sign over the weekend was fake FYI. It is still two way. Although I'd like to see it be one way. I'd be content with alternating direction based on the day of the week, as well.

Damn it. If something is too good to be true....

Park Record article from last year: https://www.parkrecord.com/news/vail...ovo-developer/

In Vail's defense, this has been in the works for decades. It will be interesting to see what the proposed “improved access to public parking” entails.

Nice shots. GWT in the Big Mtn Pass area?
    Crazy. Getting rid of the main lot at the base of the resort seems like a giant clusterfuck in the making.

Yes, GWT from the top of MoPi, made it most of the way around the ridgeline to the E facing slopes below Lookout and decided to spare myself the 4 miles of postholing to get back to what I call Cat o' nine tail ridge and back to the summit of Emigration.

Re: Flying Dog, I love the idea of alternating directions of travel based on days of the week. It's a rad downhill but it doesn't suck to climb back up it either.

Re: Flying Dog, I love the idea of alternating directions of travel based on days of the week.
    Ya'll have more faith in the intelligence of the average rider than I. I'm pretty sure this would lead to near-daily deaths

Every PC trail should be one-way. Phil's World model scaled up. CC, too.

Ya'll have more faith in the intelligence of the average rider than I. I'm pretty sure this would lead to near-daily deaths

The alternating days of travel work in other places, but yeah. I've also seen hiker/horses allowed odd days and bike even days work well in other spots, but again, little faith.

Sardine trail (the location of the aforementioned 50+ cars in the lot) is a natural for one way traffic, and the locals have been screaming for it on social media. But the FS and the local trail group is anti for some reason. My personal rumor mill theory is so that they can get enough negative trail interactions to close it to bikes completely.

Checked out the new trail over in Herriman today. Pretty fun but also pretty short. But nice to have something relatively close that cant be ridden easily on a gravel bike. Crazy wind on the ridges.

Name:	20200518_133149.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	328914

To be fair I still can't get the Millcreek bike days straight. Is odd day OK to ride or off leash? Even the mnemonics fail me...
    I ended up poaching the canyon on a weekday last summer, didn't see anyone until I started climbing back up from the parking lot to Dog Lake so there wasn't any speed involved and everyone was really nice about it. People like me need large signs at every possible access points to make sure their stupidity doesn't prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Crazy wind on the ridges.
    I felt like a drunk on the Big Mtn ridgeline yesterday, it was blowing so hard I kept getting pushed across the double track into the grass. I could feel the wind lift my helmet a bit. Carrying the bike across snowfields in the middle of the big gusts was sporty AF...

For Millcreek I always remember that 'hikers are odd'. Now do I always remember what the date is when I'm riding? No, especially if I end up on the Crest and want to just descend all the way home (which is mainly how I ride Millcreek, I find the trails there hard to justify riding on their own...)

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The alternating days of travel work in other places, but yeah. I've also seen hiker/horses allowed odd days and bike even days work well in other spots, but again, little faith.
    To be fair I still can't get the Millcreek bike days straight. Is odd day OK to ride or off leash? Even the mnemonics fail me...
    I ended up poaching the canyon on a weekday last summer, didn't see anyone until I started climbing back up from the parking lot to Dog Lake so there wasn't any speed involved and everyone was really nice about it. People like me need large signs at every possible access points to make sure their stupidity doesn't prevail.
    Odd/even seems to work OK for bikes/no bikes (though I have no idea how often the Millcreek policy is willfully or mistakenly violated), but that's a pretty B&W divide and I just don't see the relative subtlety of different directions on different days working out well.

To be fair I still can't get the Millcreek bike days straight. Is odd day OK to ride or off leash? Even the mnemonics fail me..
    Odd man out. Your an odd man, so you are out. On odd days.

Its odd that I can have my dog off leash in SLC. Always works for me.

I always went with “Even you can ride bikes on even days”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I finally got it to stick with "It's odd you cant ride your bike on an odd day."

Bikes have two wheels. Two is an even number. You can ride on even days.
    Thanks Shane