Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2523
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Buddy keeps telling me he wants to do a shuttle so we can take it all the way to the mouth of the canyon but I don't think I could handle the extra 2k of jank...
    I was scheming doing this all the way down to my house when I still lived in Sandy, but I never made it happen.

Buddy keeps telling me he wants to do a shuttle so we can take it all the way to the mouth of the canyon but I don't think I could handle the extra 2k of jank...
    I did this once when I was able to swing the shuttle. Didn't suck. But, for monster Wasatch descents Northern Skyline/Pioneer West off Ben Lomond is still king.

A bit
    Tell your buddy *I'll* do it. Holy shit that looks like a good time...

Is this where we talk about having gondola access for this ride?

I'd probably be down to do it when I'm in town early next week but the wife won't be into the climb at all, and I probably shouldn't ditch her for the better part of a day.

Mark White does a white pine, up road, summer road, devils castle, sugarloaf pass, mineral to top of BMT to white pine. I've been eyeing this, but given it was 90* at gad valley last night when I did my run, it may be a bit before i embark on that
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
    Shuttle from Canyons lot to guardsmans.
    Jupiter peak/ridge>evil empire>black forest>mid mountain>pinecone>wasatch crest>ridge connector>mid mountain>red coat>insurgent>ricochet
    25 miles, 2700' up, 5500' down (according to my garmin watch)
    This looks like a sick link up/ride. gonna have to do that this year

I've been wanting to do the LCChilada for a minute now. same ride but you add in the Castle. i usually stop to let the numbness in my hands go away a few times when descending BMT. definitely, a "fitness DH" love that term hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    <snip> i usually stop to let the numbness in my hands go away a few times when descending BMT.
    Sounds like you need a new fork.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Is this where we talk about having gondola access for this ride?
    As of now the gondi will only run during ski season. If that were to change I'd bet against allowing bikes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like you need a new fork.
    I think I've narrowed it down to the super stiff yeti carbon bars, i'll probably start there first......

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I did this once when I was able to swing the shuttle. Didn't suck. But, for monster Wasatch descents Northern Skyline/Pioneer West off Ben Lomond is still king.
    I was looking at that again after failing to do it last year. I still think it would hurt less to do it S to N cause starting with 22 miles of climbing blows dongs but everyone keeps telling me it's not the way.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Tell your buddy *I'll* do it. Holy shit that looks like a good time...
    Oh I'm whining about it but I'll do it first chance I get. Also, you're invited. The more the merrier!

I've been wanting to do the LCChilada for a minute now. same ride but you add in the Castle. i usually stop to let the numbness in my hands go away a few times when descending BMT. definitely, a "fitness DH" love that term hahaha
    That's how did my loop, White Pine to Alta, Castle Loop, up to Germania pass, into Mineral Basin, up Hidden Peak, back to the car. I didn't stop on the DH cause I wanted the Strava glory and was curious how I'd do on a trail I had never seen (answer: I hauled ass, got scared a bunch, but managed to stay on top of the bike)
    I could be all time fun to do that loop with people and a few stops at coolers strategically placed along the way though
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I was looking at that again after failing to do it last year. I still think it would hurt less to do it S to N cause starting with 22 miles of climbing blows dongs but everyone keeps telling me it's not the way.
    It's about 15 miles from the bottom of Perry to Ben Lomond peak, then 10 miles down to North Ogden. No way would the climb from North Ogden be any less sucky than climbing up Perry and Willard, possibly worse. While I've never descended Perry, I feel pretty confident saying that it would be way less fun than descending N. Skyline and Pioneer West. If you want to do it let me know, I'd love to meet up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's about 15 miles from the bottom of Perry to Ben Lomond peak, then 10 miles down to North Ogden. No way would the climb from North Ogden be any less sucky than climbing up Perry and Willard, possibly worse. While I've never descended Perry, I feel pretty confident saying that it would be way less fun than descending N. Skyline and Pioneer West. If you want to do it let me know, I'd love to meet up for it.
    I'll follow the collective wisdom on this one, you're at least the 5th person to tell me not to do it from the north.
    I was planning on waiting til September and slightly cooler temps but could be talked into making a bad decision pretty much anytime even if it's a million degrees.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I've done it in July when valley temps were in the high 90s. It's doable with an early start. There's a fair amount of shade on the lower half of Perry, and once you lose the shade you're relatively high and there's usually a breeze. With the drought the bushwhack section of Perry might be less hateful than normal, too.

There's also an ultra-clutch spring in Willard where you can refill water and cool off before the final push to the summit. I assume it's still flowing. You're proper-fucked if it's not, but the flow has always been realy strong in the past so there should be a trickle at least. It'll be hot as balls getting back down to O-town but there's almost zero pedaling on the descent.

I should probably do a few more 3k-4.5k rides first.

If you guys can time that ride for end of July I might be able to swing by and join you. There is supposedly a spring at Grizzly pk but I've never seen it. The one along the road below Willard was flowing nicely. Think I posted a pic when I did this ride on our last Montana trip.

We did a variation last year...got a shuttle up to Albion, went up Catherine's and back down to top of Sunnyside, then over to Castle, then down to bottom of Sugarloaf, up and over Sugarloaf pass to Hidden Peak, down BMT, Baby Thunder, WP, and Quarry. Biked directly to my buddy's pool above Wasatch. That was a helluva ride. High point was my brilliant move to dump most of my remaining water at the top of Hidden Peak because "it's all DH from here". I regretted that decision pretty soon after. But man that beer in the pool tasted good!!

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Did something similar yesterday morning. there’s a bus that you can get at the swamp lot. Not sure the schedule but we grabbed a 7:10 for $2 and then got our $’s worth of jank until around noon then headed down. I had a tire issue right as I dropped into tanners and ended up bailing down the road rather than dealing with it but it could have been dirt almost the whole way down.
    Last edited by dfinn; 07-10-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Whenever my better half has to go to work at Alta central and I have the day off I have her shuttle me up. I used to just go up Peruvian gulch, but starting last year with no bikes on the tram I’ve just been riding up the bmt. Straight forward climb. Then turn around and ride it back down, cut off to white pine, cross at the China wall and cross back again at tanners. Only mtb ride in the wasatch that ends at my front door, and it doesn’t hurt that it’s pretty primo trail the whole way down.

The smoke today was brutal. Feel like I smoked a pack of cigarettes getting up to the crest. But luckily timed my pinecone descent well, only had to stop twice for climbers.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    High point was my brilliant move to dump most of my remaining water at the top of Hidden Peak because "it's all DH from here". I regretted that decision pretty soon after. But man that beer in the pool tasted good!!
    LOL!

First Crest of the season tonight. I expected Beartrap to be pretty hammered but I thought it was actually in pretty good shape. Such a good time.

Got the doggo and kiddo out for a bit at Summit Park in the morning. Warm weather and bike pace wipes him out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210710_183829.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	379147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210710_183229.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	379148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210710_094029.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	379149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210710_102201.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	379150
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-11-2021 at 07:58 AM.

9k definitely more fun riding towards empire

would love to do an alta > bmt variation but that sugarloaf road scares me

Rode BMT today and it seems to be holding up pretty well. Started at the bird and went bypass, Albion, germania, mineral. Not sure I like it any better than going up Peruvian. Next time might just go up BMT if I get another early start.

I fixed an e-biker’s flat tire who was about 1 mile down BMT. Didn’t bring his tools/kit today and I guess he was just going to walk down the whole thing. He said the climb up Peruvian took a little over 30 minutes. Can’t say I wasn’t a little jealous. The smoke and heat today sucked.

Yep. Did a hike in the uintas Saturday and a nice long ride at powmow today, feel like I smoked a few.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Any suggestions on a somewhat mellow PCMR loop? I've got a friend in town who's kind of new to biking but interested in getting out, gonna let him borrow my spare bike and drag him around for a bit. I was thinking WOS but something a little longer but similar might be good. Over 10 years of riding at PCMR and I still don't know the best ways to navigate the rats nest of blue trails there, I always ride the same stuff more or less and I'm not sure he'd be into what I normally ride.

empire parking lot, MM>Tour de suds>flagstaff loop, bowhunter CCW>flagstaff, left after steep rocky up, up to empire pass, corvair to payroll to MM to car.
    Empire bus up, same thing but TDS>boulder>moosebones>road>corvair>payroll>mm>jen nis to loose moose to lower cmg
    Silver lake>finns>gap bypass>st regis>pipeline>outlook>spin cycle (bit of a grind of a climb out, but great) may be overgrown a bit.

Thanks Phall! I thought I had heard that you couldn’t take bikes on the bus anymore or that it was really limited how many you can get on?

Did an empire bus on Thursday last week, they do have some busses that have 3 on 3 in, with racks, but this bus didn't have racks inside and there were 3 on, 4 in, plus a wasatch adaptive trike that was inside too, so I think it depends on the bus/driver. They also expanded hours of the Empire bus, used to end ~3pm, now the last bus up is~6pm. I like to try to get to the transit center ~15-20 min before the bus comes to make sure I stake my claim.