Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That's my point. I'm really glad that the few gravity trails I ride semi-regularly are maintained by qualified people. Without their work people would disappear in 8' deep brake ruts after a week.
    What pisses me off is when randos with no skills and a huge strava-boner remove one or two rocks that force a technical move at low speed to reduce chunder and make the spot faster. I ride a lot of miles of old hiking trails that were never intended to be MTB friendly and I like them that way. Pruning tools are really the only thing that should be used on these to keep the brush from overtaking them...
    yep. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Im not a huge fan of mtn trails style of building, but whatever floats yer boat. Its good to have beginner stuff and connector trails but if thats ALL you're building and not building any steep technical advanced stuff its super lame. fortunately most of their brown sidewalk dad trails don't need much maintenance.

Its more of the trails with berms and jumps that need the most maintenance. Cutting blowdown, pruning etc.

Trail stewards usually have a connection with the trail builders, been vetted, or are the ones who actually built the trail so yeah they are prob the best ones to maintain the trail.

Usually once a trail is put in thats what you get, its not like the stewards are going to completely change it, there are tweaks here and there but unless theres a super obvious problem with the trail they are simply maintaining it and not altering it.

Think there needs to be communication between the builders and stewards about what the trails intent is. If its a easy beginner trail it probably shouldn't be made harder, If its a steep technical trail it probably shouldn't be made easier.
    I believe this is because they are building and maintaining to IMBA standards to help PC retain its Gold Level Ride Center, the first one ever issued. I think they want to hold onto that and need to maintain certain standards.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I believe this is because they are building and maintaining to IMBA standards to help PC retain its Gold Level Ride Center, the first one ever issued. I think they want to hold onto that and need to maintain certain standards.
    I don't buy that. IMBA has been involved in the development of some technical trails. They certainly aren't the gnarliest but far more interesting then what mtn trails has been developing in PC as of late.

If it weren't for the rogue trail builders the Wasatch would have virtually zero advanced trails and features.
    Last edited by mar123; 05-05-2020 at 02:02 PM.

And that is the point. The organizations can’t build the true single track trail. Rogue parties do, but occasionally step over to stupid in the amount of damage they do. It’s tough and will only get tougher as Heber and summit county build out more homes and more users come to the networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    And that is the point. The organizations can’t build the true single track trail. Rogue parties do, but occasionally step over to stupid in the amount of damage they do. It’s tough and will only get tougher as Heber and summit county build out more homes and more users come to the networks.
    The contractors are perfectly capable of building steep tech stuff but for whatever reason it just never gets built here in the Wasatch...maybe its not the trail builders to blame but the City?... theres not much you can do if your hands are tied. ....Heard stories of contractors(who ride) wanting to build rowdy trails and they were told they had to tone it down, like way down...kinda sad.

So my point is the contractors and cities have the ability to build steep technical trails and big jump lines they just choose not to. I cringe every time a new trail is built here because its a multi directional brown sidewalk.

I mean we still have an absolutely amazing place to ride with great trails, I love it here... its not a total bitch fest. haha.

Pahvant trails in Richfield are great. Lots of potential with new stuff being cut. Up kiln’it to highline down cairn’age. So far so good, exited to see what the finished product is, they are putting some new stuff in on cairn. Long drive from SLC for a shortish ride we got in 10 miles, but the kiln to cairn loop is only about 7/8. Worth a stop if you are headed that way/passing through, etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9077.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	327883
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9080.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	327884

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Nice! We've been wanting to get down there.

I've done a Richfield and Ephraim twofer coming back from a climbing trip around Bryce last year, it's a nice combo. A couple of 10 to 15 milers separated by an hour in the car and it doesn't add too much time compared to raging back up I-15. I suppose you could throw in some Panguitch or Cedar City riding if you were intent on making it a big day.

Rode Payson Canyon yesterday for the first time and got pretty lost in the lower canyon spaghetti bowl. Fun trails but my limited venture higher up on the pipeline made it clear the $$ riding is at the end of the canyon. I usually have a plan when visiting new areas but didn't plant on hitting Payson and showed up with 0 beta (other than trailforks which isn't great for on the fly planning). What's the best loop people do down there?? Something around 25-30 miles would justify the drive from SLC.

What's the best loop people do down there?? Something around 25-30 miles would justify the drive from SLC.
    The best upper canyon ride I've figured out over the years is the following figure 8:

Park at the Grotto. Up the road to Shram Creek, then Shram Creek->Rock Springs->Sheepherder Cutoff/Kuntz Flat->Sheepherder. Grab the little cutoff trail back to Shram, then back up Shram->Rock Springs->Rock Springs East (#101)->Blackhawk Connector->Blackhawk->Loafer->Bennie Creek->Beer.

Other cool trails in the area that are worth checking out and working in somehow are Frank Young and Jones Ranch. Lizard Lake was deadfall city the one time I tried it with a lot of the downed trees appearing to have been there for years. Don’t bother with anything south of the road, especially Holman. That’s just IMHO, but I’m a bit of an adventure ride connoisseur and still had no desire to venture that way again. Koholowo seems like it might be worth doing.

The other ride to do is the HAB adventure up to Santaquin Peak. Up is a sufferfest, the down is pretty sweet, as is standing alone on a summit with yer bike. IMO, it’s worth parking at the Grotto and spinning up the road to Loafer so that you can finish the descent with Bennie Creek.

I haven't ridden down there since the big fire in 2018. Late May thru mid/late-June is the best time to be there. Mule's Ear fields on Blackhawk are fully popped and the cows haven't been out yet (usually). I went in late July once and the cows had absolutely murdered the place. I've been meaning to try it in fall when the aspens are popping and the dirt is moist again but have never made it happen.

A lot of the trail signs only have the trail #. Not a huge issue now with TF, but made for some very confusing navigation in the past at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The best upper canyon ride I've figured out over the years is the following figure 8:

Park at the Grotto. Up the road to Shram Creek, then Shram Creek->Rock Springs->Sheepherder Cutoff/Kuntz Flat->Sheepherder. Grab the little cutoff trail back to Shram, then back up Shram->Rock Springs->Rock Springs East (#101)->Blackhawk Connector->Blackhawk->Loafer->Bennie Creek->Beer.

Other cool trails in the area that are worth checking out and working in somehow are Frank Young and Jones Ranch. Lizard Lake was deadfall city the one time I tried it with a lot of the downed trees appearing to have been there for years. Don’t bother with anything south of the road, especially Holman. That’s just IMHO, but I’m a bit of an adventure ride connoisseur and still had no desire to venture that way again. Koholowo seems like it might be worth doing.

The other ride to do is the HAB adventure up to Santaquin Peak. Up is a sufferfest, the down is pretty sweet, as is standing alone on a summit with yer bike. IMO, it’s worth parking at the Grotto and spinning up the road to Loafer so that you can finish the descent with Bennie Creek.

I haven't ridden down there since the big fire in 2018. Late May thru mid/late-June is the best time to be there. Mule's Ear fields on Blackhawk are fully popped and the cows haven't been out yet (usually). I went in late July once and the cows had absolutely murdered the place. I've been meaning to try it in fall when the aspens are popping and the dirt is moist again but have never made it happen.

A lot of the trail signs only have the trail #. Not a huge issue now with TF, but made for some very confusing navigation in the past at times.
    Thanks, solid beta!! I know a couple of guys who ride down there a lot and apparently there are some seriously gnar DH trails all over.
    I rode through the burn on the lower W side of the canyon, it's really cool. I think it was the edge of the fire because the damage isn't extensive. It's basically a bright green carpet of flowers that are starting to pop and the occasional burned tree but the bulk of the tall pines are OK.

Name:  Alta Drop A.jpeg
Views: 4650
Size:  160.2 KB
    Name:  Alta Drop B.jpeg
Views: 4651
Size:  180.6 KB
    Name:  Alta Drop C.jpeg
Views: 1677
Size:  184.5 KB
    Last edited by SJG; 05-11-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Hooolllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shit.
    You guys are maniacs

Hooolllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shit.
    You guys are maniacs
    Umm yeah

High-T is a riot too LOL

I'm gonna have to pass on that.

FYI if you go ride flying dog via bad apple, hit dropout DH on the exit...the new berms and jumps are pretty sweet. Prob the most fun I've had on a bike in a while.

Anyone know what happened on bobsled tonight? Access closed due to an accident.

delete
    Last edited by Dshack89; 05-13-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    FYI if you go ride flying dog via bad apple, hit dropout DH on the exit...the new berms and jumps are pretty sweet. Prob the most fun I've had on a bike in a while.
    Yeah Basinrec did a nice job with rebuilding Dropout, pre fun.

but....A jump line thats a bit bigger like "Cedar Dust" at Bellingham or "Buckwild" at Spokane (for example) would be amazeballs in the Basin Rec vicinity....would be a warm welcome and nice addition to a trail system outside of bike parks.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Anyone know what happened on bobsled tonight? Access closed due to an accident.
    52 year old died of a head injury.

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    52 year old died of a head injury.
    Oh geez. Really sorry to hear that.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Name:  Alta Drop B.jpeg
Views: 4651
Size:  180.6 KB
    Dude, nice.
    Take it all the way thru the whodunnit road and powderbirds?

New entrance to the quarry from Tanners. Just upstream of the creek. Look for the orange flag. New reroute since the new spring runoff line is the entire top part of the trail. Pretty fast and fun. Other than a small creek section, it's all ripping.

#dontdropoutantfarm

I like dropout a lot, I really like ant farm. hopefully they don't turn every trail up there into the same bermy manicured stuff.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    #dontdropoutantfarm

I like dropout a lot, I really like ant farm. hopefully they don't turn every trail up there into the same bermy manicured stuff.
    Actually heard rumors of some steep technical trails and big jump lines coming soon. be worried... very worried. #rampagethewasatch