Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1483
  1. #1151
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The bottom of LCC
    Posts
    5,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Me looking at dfinn's Crest ride on Strava a few days back and seeing that they skipped Pipeline and cruised out the road the whole way (beer in-hand, hopefully):


    Without stopping I reached around into my hip pack, grabbed my 2nd beer and opened it with my teeth. I thoroughly enjoyed that pavement cruise out. It was a tough call whether this was the coolest thing I did all night or whether it was a spectacular crash that sent me tumbling off the side of Millcreek Meadows trail, into the trees.

    Pipeline can f right off.

  2. #1152
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Edit: speaking of SOC, anyone seen this shit?
    I'm pretty sure that Save Our Foothills is not formally affiliated with SOC; they're just stealing credibility by using a similar name, like Blue Iguana (if a bike advocacy org pulled the same move SOC would probably sue them). Here's SOC's blog post about this:

    https://saveourcanyons.org/the-lates...d-city-council

    It's a lot less overtly cunty, but "prioritization of environmental protection" is probably just code for the same anti-bike NIMBY crap.

    x2 on Post Malone can eat a bag of dicks, and anyone else who thinks owning an expensive home on the edge of the city gives them the right to restrict access to public land and obstruct great projects like the BST master plan.

  3. #1153
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,886

    Wasatch Dirt Thread

    yeah the ďI have the privilege of living adjacent to public land and somehow I think itís my own personal land nowĒ people can all go fuck themselves. donít like being around a busy trailhead? donít buy a house next to one. plenty of quiet spots in the valley.

  4. #1154
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I just came here to say that I like puke hill.

    I'd rather do the other routes mentioned than armstrong to pinecone, but only for two reasons: 1.) I like descending pinecone more than climbing it 2.) I like the "suffering"

    Also if i know mallwalker like I think I do, I think he'll dig the challenge that is puke hill.

    My advice: There's so many great blue trails in PC, best just to pedal around somewhat aimless until you reach a turnaround time and then descend.
    Totally agree, I donít climb pinecone because I love descending it so much. Shadow lake to puke hill for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Armstrong to Pinecone is the most common and direct. There are many service roads you can take instead, but they are often loose and steep. I've taken SR224 to Guardsman from PC before and it was a little faster.

    I've heard that the FS is closing upper Millcreek trails tomorrow because they are using a helicopter to bring in some bridge materials to Dog Lake. Don't ask me why this is happening on a Saturday.
    I have no knowledge but getting heli time is hard during fire season and weekends are when volunteers can show up for trail building.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  5. #1155
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Save Our Foothills is not formally affiliated with SOC; they're just stealing credibility by using a similar name, like Blue Iguana (if a bike advocacy org pulled the same move SOC would probably sue them). Here's SOC's blog post about this:

    https://saveourcanyons.org/the-lates...d-city-council
    SOC emailed me the save our foothills flyer this week. I responded saying they need to stay in their lane and stop doing the bidding of rich homeowners (not in those exact terms) and got a pretty lengthy response from their campaign coordinator. I think they're very much affiliated with each other. Not to mention the doom-n-gloom tone of that flyer smells like SOC propaganda.

  6. #1156
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Totally agree, I donít climb pinecone because I love descending it so much. Shadow lake to puke hill for me.
    Exactly, puke hill is a 10-15 minute grind. It's not that bad, throw it in the granny gear and keep spinning those pedals and it's over before ya know it. To me, it's the price of admission to the crest and a small price at that

  7. #1157
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    88
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1624123423.767557.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	377449

    Lot at PCMR looking like a mid winter pow day this morning.

  8. #1158
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    3,361
    Lot was packed, trails were no busier than years past. Left lot at ~11, rode jennis/tommys/silver queen/moosehouse, trails were relatively quiet, all things considered. We stayed off MM as much as possible. Moosehouse is running good but getting loose.
    Me
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1984.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	377478
    Lady
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	377480




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  9. #1159
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,630
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    SOC emailed me the save our foothills flyer this week. I responded saying they need to stay in their lane and stop doing the bidding of rich homeowners (not in those exact terms) and got a pretty lengthy response from their campaign coordinator. I think they're very much affiliated with each other. Not to mention the doom-n-gloom tone of that flyer smells like SOC propaganda.
    Good grief. Care to share the response?

  10. #1160
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Good grief. Care to share the response?
    Why does this Snobbery, NIMBY, attitude exist in the the Avenues foothills and not Corner Canyon? ...I mean there are trails in Corner Canyon that literally run along peoples backyards and no one seem to mind. Everyone down there seems to be on board with the CC system and development with biking and hiking specific trails....but soon as you get to the Avenues its a completely different vibe.

    Basically what im getting at is why cant they look to CC as an model for the Avenues trail network.

  11. #1161
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    172
    straight from slcfoothills.org

    "We have been fortunate to partner with Save Our Canyons. They are assisting us with our email list, Donations, Petition, Survey and Volunteer list."

    seriously f' these people....why we cant have good mountain bike trails.

  12. #1162
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    172
    This is the petition on slcfoothills.org...

    "We, the undersigned, request the Salt Lake City Council revoke and redo the current Salt Lake City Foothills Trail Master Plan with the result of Phase I. Our foothills are too environmentally fragile, and congestion during Covid-19 justifies a comprehensive planning process that includes analysis of all the values we as city residents care about, including trails, parking, environmental protection, safety, trash clean-up, and native habitat restoration.

    The Foothills Trail Master Plan (FTMP) as written, is too narrowly focused on trail construction. So called, “social trails” like the Avenues Ridgeline and Bobsled bike trail must also be included and analyzed. Watershed and wildlife values have been managed by the city for decades, yet are not adequately protected under this plan.

    Public outreach during the planning phase was insufficient given the scale and diversity of impacted user groups. The scope and scale of this plan, combined with the exponential growth in use of the foothills, requires revisiting the baseline assumptions of the plan.

    Roadless areas should be identified and protected. 1,014,000 square feet of habitat loss is planned, which is 21 football fields of newly bulldozed trails.
    The City should pass ordinances to reduce environmental damage such as stating recreational users are only allowed on trails "marked as open,” bikes yield to hikers, etc. Legitimate confusion and intentional off-trail abuse is happening.
    Planning for a functional trail system that serves all users is essential. Everybody deserves access to our public lands. Too much damage was done during Phase I, let’s get this right and envision the legacy we want to leave in our foothills and natural spaces.
    Salt Lake City, Please

    Fix Phase I - Restore closed trails, repair mistakes, mitigate damage
    Revoke Phase II - Incorporate Phase I lessons into future plan
    Envision and Plan for a future of trails and public lands for all!"


    They are also trying to get Bobsled "analyzed"...thems are fighting words.

  13. #1163
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    172
    ...again just bumping this survey, if you haven't taken or forwarded this to people you know to give support for the foothills bike trails and protecting bobsled trail....Feel like now that SOF/SOC are organizing and have a petition going its ever so more important

    Take survey in support of mountain bike trails.
    https://www.slc.gov/trailsurvey/

  14. #1164
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Why does this Snobbery, NIMBY, attitude exist in the the Avenues foothills and not Corner Canyon? ...I mean there are trails in Corner Canyon that literally run along peoples backyards and no one seem to mind. Everyone down there seems to be on board with the CC system and development with biking and hiking specific trails....but soon as you get to the Avenues its a completely different vibe.

    Basically what im getting at is why cant they look to CC as an model for the Avenues trail network.
    Basically an old money/new money thing, I think. Survey taken.

    But, fuck all this foothills negativity. Alpine season is on and it's great! Snowbird was great last night. No one out except some friendly down-hikers on the Peruvian road. Dfinn and Boissal threw down some really impressive rides yesterday.

  15. #1165
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Basically an old money/new money thing, I think. Survey taken.

    But, fuck all this foothills negativity. Alpine season is on and it's great! Snowbird was great last night. No one out except some friendly down-hikers on the Peruvian road. Dfinn and Boissal threw down some really impressive rides.
    ^yep its been great up high...just got my PC bike haul pass, super fun getting some laps in then starting a pedal/ride form the yurt.



    I know asking a lot the last few posts, but if you have the time, in regards to the foothills master trails plan (SOF/SOC are doing the same thing so important to have our voices heard.) ...Call, write a letter, or send an email to:

    Salt Lake City Council (801) 535-7600 council.comments@slcgov.com
    Salt Lake City Mayor Mendenhall (801) 535-7704 mayor@slcgov.com
    Salt Lake City Trails: (801) 535-7800 Lewis.Kogan@slcgov.com

    Ask for: Purpose built mountain bike and hiking trails in the foothills. For directional mountain bike trails etc.

  16. #1166
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,388
    Almost became one with a lady walking up the MTB only downhill only part of the new trail (Sponge I think?) that dumps out into the 18th Ave meadow. She must've heard me coming and jumped out of the way right as I came around a pretty blind corner. If only there was a sign at the bottom of the trail that said "do not enter"........
    Other than today I've seen surprisingly few people hiking where they're not supposed to.

  17. #1167
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,886
    Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    ^yep its been great up high...just got my PC bike haul pass, super fun getting some laps in then starting a pedal/ride form the yurt.



    I know asking a lot the last few posts, but if you have the time, in regards to the foothills master trails plan (SOF/SOC are doing the same thing so important to have our voices heard.) ...Call, write a letter, or send an email to:

    Salt Lake City Council (801) 535-7600 council.comments@slcgov.com
    Salt Lake City Mayor Mendenhall (801) 535-7704 mayor@slcgov.com
    Salt Lake City Trails: (801) 535-7800 Lewis.Kogan@slcgov.com

    Ask for: Purpose built mountain bike and hiking trails in the foothills. For directional mountain bike trails etc.
    done and will keep doing

  18. #1168
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,886
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	377535

    man the shoreline trail gets dope up here

  19. #1169
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    2,996
    I hope you angrily bombed the spine on your first go!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  20. #1170
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,571
    Imagine coming home and having multiple cars parked in your drive way. The. Imagine this happen numerous times. Imagine people throwing soiled diapers and trash in your front yard. Some people are assholes on on both sides. Some users are just a-holes. Some home owners too.

  21. #1171
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Good grief. Care to share the response?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Schmidt, Campaigns Coordinator
    Hello Mikell,

    We appreciate your email and thoughtful response. Your understanding of SOC's engagement in the SLC Foothill process dating back to 2017 is not accurate. Please see our letter to SLC Mayor Mendenhall and City Council members.

    Save Our Canyons supports trail connectivity and improved access for all people regardless of economic demographic. We actively participate in trail maintenance and contribute comment and perspective on many different trail and use management plans. The SLC Foothills project created redundancy and scarred the foothills without having weighed geologic, habitat, or existing and historical use. SOC submitted questions early on these topics (please see linked letter).

    Again, we are supportive of trails and our communities ability to access them but we hope the pausing of this project will give all the opportunity to improve this project to prevent repair or impacts from construction and use to spread invasive plants and negatively impact wildlife and plantlife.

    Happy to discuss more on this issue. Please reach out any time.

    Best,
    --
    Alex Schmidt
    Campaigns Coordinator
    The two main points of my letter to SOC was that SOC was late to the game, which I was wrong about and that I thought they were just doing the bidding of wealthy homeowners in the aves while ignoring the needs/wants of all SL valley residents, which he sort of addresses.

  22. #1172
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    ^yep its been great up high...just got my PC bike haul pass, super fun getting some laps in then starting a pedal/ride form the yurt.
    Yes! Did this too for the first time in a couple years (they wouldn't sell passes to anyone without an Epic pass last year) on Sunday. After dozens of descents over the years on Mojave, I learned yesterday that Mojave is in fact NOT downhill only, luckily the uphill rider I passed was easy to see and near the bottom where it is wide open. Whoops.

    I also rode up with a confused Cali teenager who couldn't figure out why no trails were marked with ratings, no trial maps and why there wasn't a bike park with jumps.

  23. #1173
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    3,361
    Mojave, I believe, used to have a no uphill sign at the bottom, and is marked DH only on trailforks. If they changed Mojave, Silver Queen is currently the only DH specific trail from the top of that lift, and then you get nothing below MM that is DH only and able to be ridden by beginners/intermediates. It hasn't been that bad yet this year, but there used to be days on Jenni's where I would have 5-6 riders not yield to the climbers. Its such a joke of an afterthought, however I'd love to have a bike haul for faster black forest and crest laps.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  24. #1174
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Mojave, I believe, used to have a no uphill sign at the bottom, and is marked DH only on trailforks.
    That's what I remember too but it's not there anymore and it's super confusing now. Did it fall off, become stolen, or taken down officially?

  25. #1175
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,630
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Yes! Did this too for the first time in a couple years (they wouldn't sell passes to anyone without an Epic pass last year) on Sunday. After dozens of descents over the years on Mojave, I learned yesterday that Mojave is in fact NOT downhill only, luckily the uphill rider I passed was easy to see and near the bottom where it is wide open. Whoops.
    Mojave is officially downhill-only: https://www.parkcitymountain.com/exp...haul-pass.aspx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •