Page 45 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2514
    Foothills flowers are going off on north facing slopes. Finally got around to checking out some of the new trails in the city creek area. My verdict: meh.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

june 4th crest opening has to be one of the earliest on record, ya?

Especially since they have….no one? Specifically bike related?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

This is absurdly last minute, but does anyone have a line on Sundance lift ticket discounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Especially since they have….no one? Specifically bike related?

A. That "geologist" is a cunt.
    B. It was about what I expected. It was clear that the interviews were recorded in advance. Doug did a good job of asking some accountability questions, but if I were the producer, and I heard everyone ripping on bikers, I certainly would have had that voice represented in the conversation. That was a clear fail. I think this comes down to the typical nimby argument. The rich fucks in the Avenues don't want the dirty bikers in "their" backyard. Sadly the doom and gloom spewed by the Maffly and the cunt will probably activate them even more.

A few snow patches but otherwise hcc gtg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2088.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	377016

In other news, Honeycomb is mostly g2g, about 3 weeks ahead of last year. There are a couple of thick snow patches in the shadiest part of the upper section that are going to linger for another week or two. The rock garden is mostly dry with a couple of mini snow patches. I thought I was going to die when I didn't notice the first one and hucked straight into it, seemed like a guaranteed OTB in the rocks. Fortunately it has been cold enough up there the past couple of nights that I didn't bury both wheels and slid right through.
    There are a couple pieces of deadfall to contend with, one especially sketchy at the beginning of the steeps on Honeycomb Cliffs. Things were as blown out as last October, no recovery over the winter. Still all time fun despite the Raptor rd grind.

Across the road things are even dustier, upper Beartrap is more of a slide for life than ever and is definitely seeing some traffic. There's a 90 degree left in the lower third that is going to eat someone's lunch this year, the straightline out of it is already well established. There's also some carnage and deep ruts on the lower dirt road section, almost seems like someone drove a truck up there and got it stuck, it's super soft and wild.

Edit: Criscam beats me to it by 0 minutes! Would have been fun to see you up there then see your post.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Excellent Honeycomb beta! I had been thinking about HABing up it to see where the snow line was. Crazy early to be GTG.

I got talked into DH laps at Sundance yesterday. Once a year is plenty, but that really is a fun DH track. Many smiles. I'm still faster than the 11 y.o. but the margin has gotten frighteningly slim:

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Listened, random thoughts:

I really appreciated that the opening segment made it clear that the foothills are a former industrial area and not a pristine environment.

The irony of complaining about trails that are too flat after screeching about overly steep bike trails for decades is hilarious.

Dry Creek is apparently a "crown jewel" and will be the best downhill in the foothills. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.

"Shut everything down for at least a year and do the equivalent of a full NEPA EIS." JFC, this is why we can't have nice things.

"Bikers are well organized and hikers are not," then proceeds to name two well-heeled advocacy groups that have existed longer than mountain bikes themselves and could have easily inserted themselves into the planning process at any time. LOL.

"It's not hikers fault for not participating in the public comment process, it's the city's fault for not proactively reaching out." Again, LOL. That would be laughed out of the room if the roles were reversed.

there was a 2 year public comment period right? people acting like another country took the foothills over with a military

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Listened, random thoughts:

I really appreciated that the opening segment made it clear that the foothills are a former industrial area and not a pristine environment.

The irony of complaining about trails that are too flat after screeching about overly steep bike trails for decades is hilarious.

Dry Creek is apparently a "crown jewel" and will be the best downhill in the foothills. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.

"Shut everything down for at least a year and do the equivalent of a full NEPA EIS." JFC, this is why we can't have nice things.

"Bikers are well organized and hikers are not," then proceeds to name two well-heeled advocacy groups that have existed longer than mountain bikes themselves and could have easily inserted themselves into the planning process at any time. LOL.

"It's not hikers fault for not participating in the public comment process, it's the city's fault for not proactively reaching out." Again, LOL. That would be laughed out of the room if the roles were reversed.
    so true...the double standards are hilarious.

I agree that making Dry Creek as a downhill only seems kinda silly and is probably ruffling a lot of feathers... IMO should leave Dry Creek as it is and make the new "bypass" trail the downhill only trail.

After reading/listening to these last few articles from the Sltrib and Radio West it makes me have a much higher appreciation for what is happening in Corner Canyon.

All that said there are still ZERO plans for any proper DH tracks to be built...which is sad.

dry creek is meh to hike, I like the bike descent but I’m a beater. BUT, it is a great trail run both ways.

agreed in general just make all the new trails the bike trails, and nobody would’ve cared…

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    just make all the new trails the bike trails, and nobody would’ve cared…
    Doubtful as part of the current grumbling has to do with the fact that bikers got all the new stuff and nobody's building new trails for the poor hikers...

I decided to brave the heat and get out for a quick post-work lap on Quarry trail yesterday. 100F at the trailhead at 7:45p with super warm gusts blasting down the canyon, perfect conditions. Good thing the creek is raging right now and provides a bit of cool air. The pavement from Lisa falls to Tanners wasn't so pleasant. The downhill section to the ruins took a beating since I rode it last week. A couple of the smaller berms are just gone and the dust is getting deep, the heavy shuttling is taking a toll. Still fun as hell and the trail lets you know immediately if you're riding sloppy.

The full-face and body armor traffic is a bit worrisome on lower Quarry, some kooks are riding WAY too fast for how loose it is. I almost got creamed at the gate by someone who locked both wheels and slid right through while I scrambled to the side. Some unsuspecting pedestrian is going to get vaporized up there...

I was surprised to sniff some very strong fire smoke at the campground, apparently it's not quite dry/hot/windy enough for the FS to ban open fires. Smart really, there's too much brush in LCC, we need it controlled and since nobody's out raking the woods burning the whole thing to the ground is the next best option.

Name:	PXL_20210616_031556022_2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	377288
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Hot rides pay huge dividends later--when it's even a little bit cooler you feel like a hero on the climbs. The full-face and body armor crowd overriding sight lines on the Quarry isn't anything new, sadly. It's a minor miracle that that trail is still open to bikes. The sunset last night was a good one.

cooling off
    Name:  kaylajump.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  462.9 KB
    feels like we have 2 suns lately

Name:	sun2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	889.3 KB 
ID:	377298
    pedaling up in pc after work, 6pm start, is actually quite pleasant most of the trails are in the shade...did the Armstrong, Pinecone, Crest, Canyons back to PC loop on Monday not a single person on the trails above Armstrong. I may or may have not descended Robs trail but if theres no-one there did it really happen

^^^^ much better than my sunset shot, damn!

Had the same experience is PC last week, barely saw anyone out on a perfect day. The giant brake holes suggest people are out riding though. Quite the mystery.

landings down there somewhere outta frame...getting some redemption after blowing up my rear wheel on this one last year

Name:	fannypack copy.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	377314
    cool temps up high but scary dry already.

Is there supposed to be a bike in the pic? All I can see is a giant pair of brass elephant balls.

Interesting wildlife sighting in Honeycomb last night--two chubby dudes in full camo on fat bikes.

Popular trails being empty in the evenings is definitely a thing. People like to be home for dinner, I guess.

huh. I bet they were out putting up some cameras for archery season. You should kindly inform them that E bikes are not permitted on USFS non-motorized trails currently.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I was surprised to sniff some very strong fire smoke at the campground, apparently it's not quite dry/hot/windy enough for the FS to ban open fires. Smart really, there's too much brush in LCC, we need it controlled and since nobody's out raking the woods burning the whole thing to the ground is the next best option.
    The FS is going into stage 1 fire restrictions tonight where open flames are banned everywhere except developed campgrounds and picnic areas. In these sites the FS installs metal fire rights surrounded by concrete and clears all the brush around so the likelihood of a wildfire starting in a developed site is minimal under most conditions. Under stage 2 fire restrictions, all flames are banned. This is incredibly difficult to enforce, and when wildfire risk is elevated (past extreme) the FS often goes straight to stage 3 restrictions which closes down all public access. The FS in northern Utah has only gone into stage 2 restrictions once, 2011 I believe, and never stage 3. This could be the year..

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    huh. I bet they were out putting up some cameras for archery season. You should kindly inform them that E bikes are not permitted on USFS non-motorized trails currently.
    I didn't look to see if they were mopeds or not. Probably a safe assumption, but I'm way beyond confronting people about it and it wasn't far below the rock garden and I was still gassed and trying to get feeling back in my hands.

yeah, I am too for the most part, but we called in a few on a hunt last year, non-motorized trail on USFS, we were walking in and got dusted. called fish and game and they said they would 100% issue a citation for illegal take if they were caught, I'm for e-bikes, but I'm for following the rules. The lack of advocacy and education coming from the hunt-focused E-bike market is infuriating. There are now one wheel E-Game carts that people are taking into roadless/non-motorized areas for hunting, so I have no idea how those would be classified.

Interesting wildlife sighting in Honeycomb last night--two chubby dudes in full camo on fat bikes.
    I've witnessed a similar scene a few times last hear, once on Crest, once of the backside of MoPi, and once on Sheep trail. The lads I ran into were definitely on e-bikes.

Popular trails being empty in the evenings is definitely a thing. People like to be home for dinner, I guess.
    Starting after work pretty much guarantees you'll be on your own and if you don't mind the 10 PM dinner it's perfect.
    This year is weird on the crowding front, the trails look like they're being ridden by millions of people but I almost never see more than a couple bikers no matter what time I'm out. I rode Crest from PC this morning, started at 9:30ish up Jenni's, and didn't see a soul until the yurt where I ran into a pack of people. It was sleeper after that, saw 2 riders at the base of puke hill and 3 on top. No human sighting down Crest/Millcreek Meadows/GWT, nothing dropping into Canyons until the bottom of Ricochet where I almost creamed a pair of hikers. They were about 50' past the the DH BIKE TRAIL DO NOT HIKE sign hiding on the inside of a really loose corner. I thought I was toast for sure as I had to stand the bike up halfway through the turn, go straight, the lean hard again. That's not the best cornering technique in my experience but somehow the bike tolerated the move and I came out of the turn in what probably looked like a controlled 2 wheel drift (it absolutely wasn't). Terrifying for me and the hikers looked like they had just been tickled by the grim reaper. I informed them that the trail is indeed opened even when the lifts aren't running (they were) and headed home to wash the stains in my chamois.

Living across the street from the Canyons, I can safely say that there are hikers on all down hill only trails. The crazy part is they will often yell at you. You just cannot open it up like pre covid. Ditto for the little down hill sections at Olympic Park
    Last edited by Canada1; 06-17-2021 at 10:29 PM.